Learn more

Great Head Trail (Full Loop)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(291)
Acadia National Park

Great Head Trail (Full Loop) is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 265 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

awesome trail. tons of rock cliffs and rock beaches to explore. at 10 am on a Friday was barely trafficked, though the covid may partially be the reason. much of the trail was climbing over rocks, though no actual rock climbing.

Excellent trail for my 5 and 10 year old daughters. I would consider this more easy/moderate with a few scramble points (my 5 year old loved these spots best). The views were incredible and the hike was enjoyable.

Beautiful, easy hike. A nice loop with a mix of hiking through the woods and along ocean cliffs. Great view of Sand Beach from above.

Nice and easy hike on the cliffs. Great view of the water and sand beach.

This is a good little jaunt. When you start out depending on where you park, when you come to the marker that says sand beach to the right and great head to the left, take the left. It’s a good incline gets your heart pumping and it loops around back to parking lot where you started. If you park at the start of the trail. Pretty easy and great views, dog friendly hike.

This is a great hike that gives you a taste of some rock scrambling that is typical of Acadia hikes yet it is not to long nor a great elevation gain. Recommend good shoes or hiking boots The views are spectacular. We did this before the park loop road opened up so encountered no people. However, due to its popularity, it may be difficult to social distance as crowds return to Acadia.

Completed about a year ago by accident as I was just looking for a quiet place to sit along the waters edge and watch the waves crash against the rocks. Decided to follow the trail around and back to where I started. Not bad for views of the coastline away from the crowds.

Modest elevation gains with some rock scrambles which made it fun. Some spots to soak in the rocky cliffs down to the ocean as well as a view of sand beach. Really awesome views and trail.

I loved this hike. Very pretty and up close to the water in certain areas. Saw some pretty flowers, mushrooms, and birds. The terrain changes at several points which kept it interesting.

This trail was stunning! I can’t believe I waited so long to do it. It’s a short hike and relatively easy—just one short but fun rock scramble—but the views and the access to the cliffs along the ocean make it one of the best in the park!

We spent more time on this trail then anticipated because there are so many spots along the way with ocean views. Only 2 sections that were challenging due to rocks but we had no issues. Nice view of sand beach and beehive

Another great trail in Acadia! Accurate difficulty level with beautiful ocean views!

Fun short those with some boulder scrambles (first third if you go counter clockwise ). Beautiful views. Good for dogs and kids

Great views of Ocean and Sand Beach! Went in reverse and definately caught some stuff I haven't seen before. Some big drop offs. Watch the kids...

recorded Great Head Trail (Full Loop)

Definitely my favorite trail of Acadia. A must see

We loved this trail, there were some tough areas where you need to scramble up some rocky places, but it was worth it for the views! We took our two dogs with us, they're both great hikers and didn't have any issues managing the terrain, we all had a great time!

Easy trail with nice views of coast

Amazing views, well maintained, and fantastic selection of forestry! The trails were clear, and well marked. There are plenty of places to stop for views or breaks, and a few sections of rocks you have to scramble up- so be prepared! There are also lots of sections with large roots and rock hopping, so wear thicker shoes and ones that support your ankles (I rolled my ankle here, as did somebody else with me). If you love mushrooms, there are a few cuties here to check out too, along with lots of interesting ones!

crowded and nothing spectacular. Better views on other trails of the park

This was an enjoyable, easier hike with some nice views and minimal scrambling. We took other people's advice and went counter-clockwise.

AMAZING secluded ocean views!