Great Head Trail Loop

Great Head Trail Loop is a 1.5 mile loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Beautiful views. Just the right amount of challenges for a family hike. I agree with the moderate rating. Great hike if you like to take pictures!

Love this trail! Did it both times i was in acadia. I prefer going up steep rocks so I prefer to go counter clockwise. you choose when you cross sand beach, go up steps and come to giant circle stone. Go right for counter clock trail. Also my favorite part is scrambling down to the farthest out rocks at the ocean and seeing tide pools at the point. Great views looking back at sand beach and beehive if you do scramble down and look back.

We prefer this loop counter clockwise. We do it every year at least once. It is a favorite.

Great variety of terrain. Our pup loved it too! Amazing view. Can’t miss hike!

Flat, easy stroll through the woods and along the rocky shores near Sand Beach.

SOme nice views and a little rock scrambling. You can access Sand Beach from this side if you don't want to brave the other parking lot. Probably not great when granite is wet..

Definitely not an easy trail. In many places the only way you know you are on the trail is a paint mark on the rocks. Also much longer then marked.

Great trail for some easy scrambling on rocks but I would not rate it an easy trail more on the harder side of moderate. Offers some great views.

A fun and beautiful hike with great coastal views nearly the entire way. However, this is NOT an "easy" hike. Easy to me implies relatively flat terrain - something a small kid and a not very nimble 80 year old in decent shape could handle. That is not this hike. This hike involves rocky uneven terrain nearly the whole way around, with some serious rock scrambling over ledges. I personally loved it, but had I known what it was actually like, I would have chosen someplace else for the family hike that is actually "suitable for all skill levels". Somebody at All Trails dropped the classifying ball on this one.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015