Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

As of June 2018, users have reported that a portion of this trail is closed. A wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of the Atlantic, over mountain ledges to end at Sand Beach. This is a wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of Newport Cove past powerful Thunderhole and then up over the open ledges of Gorham Mountain. You will have beautiful ocean views along the entire route. When you come down Gorham Mountain to the north you can also run up the Bee Hive if you have the energy. After you descend back to Sand Beach spend some time out on the sand relaxing!

This was a nice, lovely hike. It was as our first hike on our trip to Acadia National Park. It was not difficult, but it was a bit strenuous ascending. I had to stop to catch my breath a time or two. Also a very sunny hike. We took the path that led us to Sandy Beach, and the kids enjoyed getting their feet wet in the cold water:

Nice hike. Cold and cloudy at top, so could be nicer on different day. Gotham Mountain Trail has a little side hike called Cadillac Cliffs Trail - Highly recommended!

Fun hike! A good bit of rocky stepping, which was fun. Breath taking views! We were the only ones on the trail at 7am. We came across this trail from Ocean Path and decided to go for it! So glad we did! It takes you up to the back side of the Beehive. If you’re not into the climbing aspect of Beehive, you get the same summit without the “fear of heights” challenge.

excellent views!

An all-time favorite which we hike every year (20yrs) and bring guests and those reluctant about hiking. If you have time for only 1 hike - consider Gorham. We always hike clockwise from trailhead, and then combine with either Beehive or down to Sand Beach returning on Ocean Path. Note that the trail will split- for hardier hikes take the spur to the right cliffs trail. Not really hiking "cliffs" but lots of scrambling and stone steps and not recommended for kids or weaker hikers, it looks short but it's strenuous. For others - take the Left for a smoother ascent. Both will merge back together, and that's where the awesome views really start to open for you. An excellent picnic spot. Also note that during rain, the first part of trail basically becomes a mountain stream for all rain coming off the granite surfaces and you're hiking in water that quickly rises to about 8-10" (which is also pretty cool). Despite all the crowds below on Ocean Path - Gorham never seems very crowded. An excellent introductory trail to Acadia.

We hiked this trail clockwise starting at the Gorham Mt. trailhead and it was amazing. The views from the summit were stunning. We were able to see people climbing the beehive which was close enough to doing that for me! Also, loved stopping at sand beach and thunder hole on our way back.

I parked at the trailhead parking this morning. I watched the sun rise at 4:50. Then I started the trail. Nice views around the top of Gorham Mtn. It is good trail for the family with kids.

Awesome trail and views. We hiked Beehive first and then Gorham.

Nice relaxing hike after conquering the beehive.

Awesome little hike! Great views. Perfect for those nervous about Beehive.

One of my favorite hikes I have ever done. Do the coastal part first the mountain or you won’t wander out on the rocks as much. The view at the top is spectacular!

Bring water even with the breeze. Did it with a 4 & 5 year old.

A section of this trail was closed so we took the detour via Cadillac cliffs. This section was a lot of fun!

The ocean views from the top were amazing and the ocean breeze felt terrific! This trail was well maintained and the cairns that marked the way helped.

We hiked this loop counter-clockwise after doing Great Head and Beehive and we loved it! I’m 6 months pregnant and was definitely tired at the end of the 8 mile day but ending with Gorham Mountain was great! Part of the trail (.3 miles) was closed so we were forced down Cadillac Cliffs Path (also .3 miles) which was beautiful! I think the other way has better ocean views but the cliffs and rocks were awesome.

Easy hike! My husband and I took this trail to the summit at sunset and it was perfect

Great hike. I went through the Beehive Trail to the Bowl then followed up with this loop on the way back. I’m planning to bring my 9 year old daughter through this loop but will hold off on the Beehive until later.

Loved this hike but was surprised to find out that part of the trail was closed and had to take the Cadillac Cliffs work around. Actually made more of an adventure but may not be for everyone. Would definitely go again.

Fairly easy trail, mostly stair like. Gorgeous views at the stop and fun trail to walk with all rock exposed.

amazing view and very easy hike. there's some neat rock formations as well. We combined Beehive loop and this loop to get views from both.

Nice tail, amazing view all over being on top of the mountain or near the water.

This was such a fun hike to take our time on. The views were beautiful and the trail was well marked!

Wow! Incredible views, a bit difficult in places, but totally worth it!

Trail was well blazed, in great shape, not too difficult, and a ton of fun! We did the Cadallic Canyon route and that added a lot of value to the hike.

We did this hike with our 6 year old last October and loved it! Beautiful views and not too difficult for him. The hike back down has some fairly large rocks so I would definitely recommend hiking shoes!

Great trail with fantastic views. We did this one in the winter, and it was a lot of fun. Our pup loved it, too. We didn’t use spikes at all. Enjoy!

really enjoyed this one

Great trail and views for anyone hiking with their dog. Challenging yet no ladders or rungs to climb up or down a a dog. You get to see the bowl and I️ even hiked up to the summit of beehive. Obviously couldn’t go down that way w my pup, but we got to see what it looked like. A little confusing towards the end and I️ ended up actually backtracking the way I️ came, but it allowed me to take the Cadillac cliffside trail back.

Fantastic trail, especially for those looking for an immersive hike on a day trip. Offers breathtaking views and fun rock scrambling in parts. The ascent from Sand Beach is much more steep, though significantly shorter, than the descent to the Otter Cove area.

Perfect loop trail with great views

Hiked Gorham Mountain, The Beehives, Champlain Mountain, and Cadillac Cliffs.
Dana and I hiked a loop on Gorham Mountain. Gorgeous day and manageable loop that included shoreside trails and tourist attractions such as Thunder Hole. The only hairy part of the hike was coming down the Beehive Trail which is very steep and has metal rungs and steps installed, which are much needed. Great potential dive sites noted along the way.