Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of the Atlantic, over mountain ledges to end at Sand Beach. This is a wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of Newport Cove past powerful Thunderhole and then up over the open ledges of Gorham Mountain. You will have beautiful ocean views along the entire route. When you come down Gorham Mountain to the north you can also run up the Bee Hive if you have the energy. After you descend back to Sand Beach spend some time out on the sand relaxing!

We did this hike with our 6 year old last October and loved it! Beautiful views and not too difficult for him. The hike back down has some fairly large rocks so I would definitely recommend hiking shoes!

Great trail with fantastic views. We did this one in the winter, and it was a lot of fun. Our pup loved it, too. We didn’t use spikes at all. Enjoy!

really enjoyed this one

Great trail and views for anyone hiking with their dog. Challenging yet no ladders or rungs to climb up or down a a dog. You get to see the bowl and I️ even hiked up to the summit of beehive. Obviously couldn’t go down that way w my pup, but we got to see what it looked like. A little confusing towards the end and I️ ended up actually backtracking the way I️ came, but it allowed me to take the Cadillac cliffside trail back.

Fantastic trail, especially for those looking for an immersive hike on a day trip. Offers breathtaking views and fun rock scrambling in parts. The ascent from Sand Beach is much more steep, though significantly shorter, than the descent to the Otter Cove area.

Perfect loop trail with great views

One of my favorites at Acadia. Lots of variety in the trail itself and the views. I recommend Gorham mountain first, and then loop back to ocean trail. The fall colors were spectacular on the way down.

Great hike especially during autumn. The trail was very well marked and heavily traveled. I followed the trail clockwise (with the Ocean Path Loop first) and believe that the views may have been better if hiked counterclockwise (Gorham Mountain first) as a lot of good views were to my back. The Gorham section requires a fair bit of bouldering which may slow you down, but otherwise it is not technically demanding and would be good for all ages. The Ocean Path is paved and graveled.

Great ocean views all along the trail. Good close up view of Beehive iron rungs where trails merge.

Nice rainy day hike. great for leaf peeping too.

Fairly easy hike with a gorgeous view to look forward to at the top.

Great hike up and down the mountain with breathtaking views! Harder than we expected with two dogs but it was the best experience!!

this loop has a little bit of everything, hiking to a peak, hiking down to the beach, and hiking along the rocky oceanfront. would suggest doing this trail a day before doing Cadillac to get your legs warmed up.

Great easy hike up a "mountain". This is more of a short, easy hill with a fun trail and good views. Great for what it is if you are looking for an easy trail with a mountain type feel.

Great hike to add on after Champlain and Precipice if you're looking for a stretch.

This might be my favorite trail in Acadia. The view from the summit is stunning. It's just challenging enough to make you feel like you accomplished something. And my kids (ages 7 & 12) not only could handle it but also thought it was exciting.

Great hike, beautiful views. The ocean portion offers great views, but has parts that were overrun by other guests. By doing the hike, you go in and out of crowds. However, once you leave the ocean portion for the mountain hike, the views were amazing and with much less of a crowd. This hike had the best of both worlds!

You get a lot of bang for your buck on this hike. In other words, not a ton of effort for some spectacular views. There are many viewing points and it was a good way to see some of the features Acadia is known for without get tangled up in the crowds.

Fun trail great for the entire family!

Very nice trail with some challenge..

I loved this trail. The views at the top are stunning. Great for the kiddos and the pup. Will be back to do this one again in the future.

Hiked this trail with my two 55 lb dogs. No problems.

This is a pretty crowded moderate hike. Some uphill sections make it challenging for those that aren't used to hiking causing the line up to get jammed a bit. Lots of people means lots of noise so this is not one of the more peaceful hikes to take around the park. The views up top are wonderful though. If you are new to hiking this is a good hike to attempt. Hiking shoes are recommended. I saw a lot of flip flops since this trail is off of Ocean Path which makes a hike like this much harder.

Family of 5. No probs.

Took my 9 year old daughter and 6 month old puppy for their first real hike. Both were able to do this trail with ease. We were rewarded with beautiful views at the top of Gorham mountain and along the Ocean trail.

I just love this mountain because you get a lot of stellar views for such an easy hike. Take the cliff trail to see some cool rock formations and caves! A must-see in my opinion for any first timer!

Great views

We absolutely loved this hike with our 3 kids, ages 10, 9 and 5. We will definitely do this again!!

Combined this with the Beehive and Bowl for a nice day hike.