Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

As of June 2018, users have reported that a portion of this trail is closed. A wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of the Atlantic, over mountain ledges to end at Sand Beach. This is a wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of Newport Cove past powerful Thunderhole and then up over the open ledges of Gorham Mountain. You will have beautiful ocean views along the entire route. When you come down Gorham Mountain to the north you can also run up the Bee Hive if you have the energy. After you descend back to Sand Beach spend some time out on the sand relaxing!

great time walking this one well marked also

Wonderful experience! During the loop, take the Cadillac Cliffs trail, which merges back after a stretch, for little caves and a small scramble. Lots of interesting geology and great views. Kids loved it. Would do again.

Kid friendly, dog friendly, incredible views! Crowded, but not unreasonably so for a weekend, and everyone was friendly. A few spots where lifting my dog was necessary, but probably could have navigated differently.

This hike was great! I went with my family of 6 with my husband and kids ages 12, 10, 7, and 4 months old. We hiked along the beach starting at the sand beach parking lot. We climbed on the cliffs. Then we went up the gorham mountain trail. We took the cliff path and loved it! The top of the gorham mountain is beautiful.

Great hike, but be sure to come early (~9:00AM) or it is a zoo. The Directions (GPS coordinates) take you to the Sand Beach P lot, from where you take the Ocean Trail (pleasant stroll) past Thunderhole (a zoo) to the Gorham trail P lot (small, no bathrooms) and trailhead. The hike up is moderately strenuous with a few mini rock climbs and ‘gorges’ that are good fun for older kids (e.g., young teens). The terrain is pretty rocky overall, we found our hiking boots and poles helpful. Great views across the top of the mountain. The descend (or climb, depending which way you come) on the other end of the mountain, closer to Bowl trail, is less steep and offers a few trail extensions or shortcuts depending on your interests and stamina. The Bowl trail end was very crowded, lots of ppl getting started, by the time we got there and finished our hike (12:00 PM).

Absolutely beautiful and so worth it. The views are AMAZING. I recommend packing a lunch and taking your time to enjoy the scenery.
Make sure you wear good shoes! Some rocks were slick.

I started at a parking lot on Otter Cliff Rd and took the Ocean Path to the Gorham Mtn. Trailhead. The trail is beautiful and not very strenuous. The grade is steady and there are really no technical areas. However, the earlier you start, the cooler and less crowded it will be. The trail becomes increasingly crowded as one makes their way down the north end of Gorham Mtn, as this area is an intersection for many trails, including the very popular Beehive. After descending from the North side of Gorham, we took the pretty but very crowded Ocean Path back to the road. There are many small spurs off the main path that take you to some very nice picture/rest spots.

Really cool relatively moderate hike (closer towards easy). I completed with my retired mom and uncle without any problem. Beautiful views and almost no one on the trail. Very refreshing getaway from the crowds of Sand Beach below. Do the full loop and don’t just do one side- both have amazing views and there’s a switchback midway if going back to sand beach.

My favorite hike of all time!

Good, strenuous trail with rocks. Lots of places to look at the coast. It can get very busy in the afternoon.

The view from the top is truly amazing.

We loved this trail. The view at the top was amazing!

This was a nice, lovely hike. It was as our first hike on our trip to Acadia National Park. It was not difficult, but it was a bit strenuous ascending. I had to stop to catch my breath a time or two. Also a very sunny hike. We took the path that led us to Sandy Beach, and the kids enjoyed getting their feet wet in the cold water:

Nice hike. Cold and cloudy at top, so could be nicer on different day. Gotham Mountain Trail has a little side hike called Cadillac Cliffs Trail - Highly recommended!

Fun hike! A good bit of rocky stepping, which was fun. Breath taking views! We were the only ones on the trail at 7am. We came across this trail from Ocean Path and decided to go for it! So glad we did! It takes you up to the back side of the Beehive. If you’re not into the climbing aspect of Beehive, you get the same summit without the “fear of heights” challenge.

excellent views!

An all-time favorite which we hike every year (20yrs) and bring guests and those reluctant about hiking. If you have time for only 1 hike - consider Gorham. We always hike clockwise from trailhead, and then combine with either Beehive or down to Sand Beach returning on Ocean Path. Note that the trail will split- for hardier hikes take the spur to the right cliffs trail. Not really hiking "cliffs" but lots of scrambling and stone steps and not recommended for kids or weaker hikers, it looks short but it's strenuous. For others - take the Left for a smoother ascent. Both will merge back together, and that's where the awesome views really start to open for you. An excellent picnic spot. Also note that during rain, the first part of trail basically becomes a mountain stream for all rain coming off the granite surfaces and you're hiking in water that quickly rises to about 8-10" (which is also pretty cool). Despite all the crowds below on Ocean Path - Gorham never seems very crowded. An excellent introductory trail to Acadia.

We hiked this trail clockwise starting at the Gorham Mt. trailhead and it was amazing. The views from the summit were stunning. We were able to see people climbing the beehive which was close enough to doing that for me! Also, loved stopping at sand beach and thunder hole on our way back.

I parked at the trailhead parking this morning. I watched the sun rise at 4:50. Then I started the trail. Nice views around the top of Gorham Mtn. It is good trail for the family with kids.

Awesome trail and views. We hiked Beehive first and then Gorham.

Nice relaxing hike after conquering the beehive.

Awesome little hike! Great views. Perfect for those nervous about Beehive.

One of my favorite hikes I have ever done. Do the coastal part first the mountain or you won’t wander out on the rocks as much. The view at the top is spectacular!

Bring water even with the breeze. Did it with a 4 & 5 year old.

A section of this trail was closed so we took the detour via Cadillac cliffs. This section was a lot of fun!

The ocean views from the top were amazing and the ocean breeze felt terrific! This trail was well maintained and the cairns that marked the way helped.

We hiked this loop counter-clockwise after doing Great Head and Beehive and we loved it! I’m 6 months pregnant and was definitely tired at the end of the 8 mile day but ending with Gorham Mountain was great! Part of the trail (.3 miles) was closed so we were forced down Cadillac Cliffs Path (also .3 miles) which was beautiful! I think the other way has better ocean views but the cliffs and rocks were awesome.

Easy hike! My husband and I took this trail to the summit at sunset and it was perfect

Great hike. I went through the Beehive Trail to the Bowl then followed up with this loop on the way back. I’m planning to bring my 9 year old daughter through this loop but will hold off on the Beehive until later.

Loved this hike but was surprised to find out that part of the trail was closed and had to take the Cadillac Cliffs work around. Actually made more of an adventure but may not be for everyone. Would definitely go again.

Fairly easy trail, mostly stair like. Gorgeous views at the stop and fun trail to walk with all rock exposed.