Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

A wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of the Atlantic, over mountain ledges to end at Sand Beach. This is a wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of Newport Cove past powerful Thunderhole and then up over the open ledges of Gorham Mountain. You will have beautiful ocean views along the entire route. When you come down Gorham Mountain to the north you can also run up the Bee Hive if you have the energy. After you descend back to Sand Beach spend some time out on the sand relaxing!

A section of this trail was closed so we took the detour via Cadillac cliffs. This section was a lot of fun!

The ocean views from the top were amazing and the ocean breeze felt terrific! This trail was well maintained and the cairns that marked the way helped.

We hiked this loop counter-clockwise after doing Great Head and Beehive and we loved it! I’m 6 months pregnant and was definitely tired at the end of the 8 mile day but ending with Gorham Mountain was great! Part of the trail (.3 miles) was closed so we were forced down Cadillac Cliffs Path (also .3 miles) which was beautiful! I think the other way has better ocean views but the cliffs and rocks were awesome.

Easy hike! My husband and I took this trail to the summit at sunset and it was perfect

Great hike. I went through the Beehive Trail to the Bowl then followed up with this loop on the way back. I’m planning to bring my 9 year old daughter through this loop but will hold off on the Beehive until later.

Loved this hike but was surprised to find out that part of the trail was closed and had to take the Cadillac Cliffs work around. Actually made more of an adventure but may not be for everyone. Would definitely go again.

Fairly easy trail, mostly stair like. Gorgeous views at the stop and fun trail to walk with all rock exposed.

amazing view and very easy hike. there's some neat rock formations as well. We combined Beehive loop and this loop to get views from both.

Nice tail, amazing view all over being on top of the mountain or near the water.

This was such a fun hike to take our time on. The views were beautiful and the trail was well marked!

Wow! Incredible views, a bit difficult in places, but totally worth it!

Trail was well blazed, in great shape, not too difficult, and a ton of fun! We did the Cadallic Canyon route and that added a lot of value to the hike.

We did this hike with our 6 year old last October and loved it! Beautiful views and not too difficult for him. The hike back down has some fairly large rocks so I would definitely recommend hiking shoes!

Great trail with fantastic views. We did this one in the winter, and it was a lot of fun. Our pup loved it, too. We didn’t use spikes at all. Enjoy!

really enjoyed this one

Great trail and views for anyone hiking with their dog. Challenging yet no ladders or rungs to climb up or down a a dog. You get to see the bowl and I️ even hiked up to the summit of beehive. Obviously couldn’t go down that way w my pup, but we got to see what it looked like. A little confusing towards the end and I️ ended up actually backtracking the way I️ came, but it allowed me to take the Cadillac cliffside trail back.

Fantastic trail, especially for those looking for an immersive hike on a day trip. Offers breathtaking views and fun rock scrambling in parts. The ascent from Sand Beach is much more steep, though significantly shorter, than the descent to the Otter Cove area.

Perfect loop trail with great views

Hiked Gorham Mountain, The Beehives, Champlain Mountain, and Cadillac Cliffs.
Dana and I hiked a loop on Gorham Mountain. Gorgeous day and manageable loop that included shoreside trails and tourist attractions such as Thunder Hole. The only hairy part of the hike was coming down the Beehive Trail which is very steep and has metal rungs and steps installed, which are much needed. Great potential dive sites noted along the way.

One of my favorites at Acadia. Lots of variety in the trail itself and the views. I recommend Gorham mountain first, and then loop back to ocean trail. The fall colors were spectacular on the way down.

Great hike especially during autumn. The trail was very well marked and heavily traveled. I followed the trail clockwise (with the Ocean Path Loop first) and believe that the views may have been better if hiked counterclockwise (Gorham Mountain first) as a lot of good views were to my back. The Gorham section requires a fair bit of bouldering which may slow you down, but otherwise it is not technically demanding and would be good for all ages. The Ocean Path is paved and graveled.

Great ocean views all along the trail. Good close up view of Beehive iron rungs where trails merge.

Nice rainy day hike. great for leaf peeping too.

Fairly easy hike with a gorgeous view to look forward to at the top.

Great hike up and down the mountain with breathtaking views! Harder than we expected with two dogs but it was the best experience!!

this loop has a little bit of everything, hiking to a peak, hiking down to the beach, and hiking along the rocky oceanfront. would suggest doing this trail a day before doing Cadillac to get your legs warmed up.

Great easy hike up a "mountain". This is more of a short, easy hill with a fun trail and good views. Great for what it is if you are looking for an easy trail with a mountain type feel.

Great hike to add on after Champlain and Precipice if you're looking for a stretch.

This might be my favorite trail in Acadia. The view from the summit is stunning. It's just challenging enough to make you feel like you accomplished something. And my kids (ages 7 & 12) not only could handle it but also thought it was exciting.

Great hike, beautiful views. The ocean portion offers great views, but has parts that were overrun by other guests. By doing the hike, you go in and out of crowds. However, once you leave the ocean portion for the mountain hike, the views were amazing and with much less of a crowd. This hike had the best of both worlds!