Gorge Path Trail

Gorge Path Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm

Great trail with beautiful views of the gorge and fall colors along the way. Started at the top of Cadillac Mountain (that’s where the GPS took us) and hiked down the mountain. Was tough going down and by the time we got to the bottom, we were exhausted and no way were heading back up. Found some other tourists from Alabama that drove us back to the top, thank you! My suggestion is to be prepared to either hire a shuttle service be prepared for 7.4 miles of climbing as it’s fairly steep steps and climb the whole way. Quads are still burning! Beautiful hike though!

Last hiked it on May 14, 1994. What can I saw that has not already been said by many visitors about this spectacular hike?

beautiful day today! clear, cool weather, trail in great shape with nicely placed rock. small amount of water along the way. ended at top of cadillac.....people!

Perfect trail to bring my pup on!

An amazing job of trail building. The last section up out of the gorge to the summit of Cadillac Mountain is steep and has a few places where you need to use your hands to scramble up through the slabs and boulders.

This was a great trail! The difficulty level was as advertised. Some rock crawling involved, but nothing that requires real strength. Saw some cool snakes on the way up! This is my favorite way to summit Cadillac.

Great gorge path down from Mt Dorr and Cadillac.

Chose to take this route down from the summit of Cadillac Mt. to get some different views than we did on the way up. We loved the trail! As a 22 year old with her parents in their fifties, we were able to navigate this very well marked trail down the mountain. Definitely recommend if you take North Ridge up, and want to switch it up a bit on the way down! Similar boulders as times, but nothing too challenging. In August there was no waterfall, (we were told there would be) but still totally worth the hike! Lovely trail.

We thought it was a lot closer to hard than moderate but this was a good climb. Pace yourself, take your time, and enjoy the scenery - this is a special hike. We had a good ascent with not a lot of traffic on the way. Beautiful views close to the Cadillac summit.

One of my favorites hikes of all time. The pink granite amongst the falls are heavenly.

Must do when visiting Acadia in dry weather. Because of all rocky trail, won't be possible to do it on a wet day. My 7 and 10 year olds had gr8 time !

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Gorge path.....what a nice hike. Had done it 20 years ago and did it again this fall. Nice hike, less crowdy.
The mix of going up Cadillac by Gorge and going down by The North ridge trail. Allows you to enjoy the view on the way down which is easier to watch; and enjoying the forest on the way up. Especially clever during the hot summer days

Thursday, July 28, 2016

We came over the Dorr Summit and down these rock steps and back up them to Cadillac Summit. I would recommend good shoes with Vibram rubber if it's wet out. Be careful as some of he rock is slabby and slippery.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Wanted to hike Cadillac North up but missed the parking (just a little pull off for a few cars). Went around the bend and stopped at the gorge trail head. Hiked Gorge up and Cadillac North down. Between the two, we loved Gorge and thought North was OK. We saw far fewer people on this trail.

My wife and I are beginner hikers in our late 20s and we were able to manage Gorge. There are a lot of steps towards the end but for the most part very well maintained and defined route.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

It's a fun hike. I really enjoyed its descend and ascend. I strongly recommend good hiking shoes.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Some of the most fun hiking I've had in a while! I went up Cadillac mountain and down Gorge trail. Be careful about time - the sun sets early in the gorge, and at the top of the trail the markers can be hard to find at times. Otherwise, enjoy!!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

September 8, 2013: My fourth trip up the Gorge Path and on up to the summit of Cadillac and then down the Caddillac north ridge to the loop road. The Park Service has altered the beginning of the trail with steps descending from the trail head along side the loop road and going off into the woods for a ways before turning back to the stream coming from the gorge. A beautiful late summer afternoon. Saw close to a dozen trout in a couple of pools about 1/3 of the way up the gorge - awesome!

Friday, August 23, 2013

August 20 hiked up Cadillac north ridge with my 11 yr old son , it was hot and we were feeling the heat . I asked a ranger what was the best way down to stay cool . He told us the gorge path had water falls and a place to get wet and sure enough it did . My son loved it and the views were awesome

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Did this after coming off of Cadillac Summit. It was raining so it was very slick and considering you are climbing over rocks most the time it was dangerous. I rolled my ankle pretty bad on it. On the other hand if it had been dry it would have been a lot of fun.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Have hiked the Gorge Path 3 times...one of my favorite trails. Last time was September 2, 2012, and it started raining half way up the gorge. Continued on up the Dorr Mountain Trail at the top. Beautiful views despite the weather. Wrote the below Haiku in tribute to the trail:

Haiku 103010-02