Goose Eye Mountain Trail

Goose Eye Mountain Trail is a 8.3 mile out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

I started out parking just beyond the Wright trail head. It took me an hour and a half of hiking through thick forest before I reached a clearing almost to the top. The terrain is rough, a lot of roots, rocks and wet land. Once the treeline opens up you instantly see amazing views. Though this hike was very strenuous I highly recommend it. The brook along the way is a nice spot to rest. At the end of my hike, once back to the trailhead I went down to the brook to do some exploring. That was unique, a good stretch of it was all ledge, you could walk on either side very easily by hoping along the ledge. Small waterfalls along the way.

One of my all-time favorite mountains. Truly breathtaking. I recommend backpacking if you are able. Note: this trail is actually called the Wright Trail. The Goose Eye Trail climbs the opposite side of the mountain.

I like a hike that makes me work a little, this one is great , just about the time your getting frustrated with climbing through forest, the tree line opens up at about 3.3m and the last mile and a half to the west summit is wandering through sheep laurel and scrub brush, view from the top makes it all worth it, see 100 peaks in all directions, make a quick side trip down the ladder along the AT towards Mt. Carlo to the lawn for a nice break...

Really, really nice and tough hike towards the end. You spend about half of the hike following a fast stream with plenty of opportunities for a quick swim. Once you part from the stream things get tougher and much more steep. Lots of diverse terrain on this hike. Really rewarding finish at the top of Goose Eye. 6 hours for me for the entire hike including lunch and a couple of breaks.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Get into the woods, enjoy the path along the streams, cross the confluence, and then start climbing up. The first view near the tree line is great and it only gets better once you're on top. Keep going to connect with the AT and pick a peak to stand on top and enjoy.