Giant Slide Trail to Sargent Mountain and Gilmore Peak

Giant Slide Trail to Sargent Mountain and Gilmore Peak is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The other reviews are correct.. this was a very challenging, excellent hike. We found the bouldering more challenging than we were expecting with the kids. The view from Gilmore's peak was incredible. We didn't make it to Sargent peak because our party had hit our limits and decided to go back down the way we came. We had a few slips in the rocks on the way back including some near misses to serious injury. Overall as a more experienced hiker, I'd recommend this trail to adults who are confident to hike difficult trails. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike, but it was too much for all of our party this time.

I was dropped off at the trailhead in the morning (keep a watchful eye as it is easy to miss). This is a great hike up to Gilmore Peak, with a quick visit to Sargent Pond, on your way to Penobscot Mtn and down to Jordan Pond Nature Center. The Island Explorer bus can then take you back to Bar Harbor.

The view from the top was awesome. Went there at sunset. The rock slide was a bit scary after sunset on the way down.

Great scenic trail. Done it several times!!

Absolutely beautiful.

Took this hike yesterday and it was a lot of fun! It's a hike through a rock slide, definitely different going through and around rocks and up a creek, might not be for everyone, not many people on this trail, lots of uphill and downhill hiking as well and going up on top of Gilmore peak towards the end, had a blast!

We could not find the Giant Slide trail head so started hike just down the road at Parkman trail head, then to Gilmore and Sargent. Outstanding views from all 3 peaks. Later on the trip we did spot the Giant Slide trail sign. It appears you just have to park on the roadside.

I know some people who say this is their favorite hike in Acadia. Lots of climbing around rocks and trees in the first part of the trail, but I didn't really care for it since all the rocks were wet and slick. But any hike to Sargent Mtn is a winner in my book.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This was a challenging hike but definitely fun if you are up for the challenge! It starts with an easy walk through the woods followed by a lot of scrambling up over rocks and boulders to get to Gilmore Peak. The views are great and worth the effort. Luckily, we hiked on a dry day and the boulders were not slippery. Take care if you go on a wet day. The trek down was hard on our old knees. I would not recommend this trail for young children.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great hike, the bouldering is a fun experience and the views at both peaks are fantastic! Took are son, 10 yr old who "doesn't like hiking" and he had a great time said it was a pretty cool hike!!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Don't let the slow, rolling start fool you, soon enough you will be scrambling over rocks and squeezing through crevices. We had a great time on this challenging trail--my teenage son enjoyed it immensely!

Thursday, March 30, 2017

One of my favorite trails. Nice climb up a brook then climbing up and over rocks and boulders. You even climb through a rock slide and behind a giant rock slab that is kind of like a cave!

Monday, August 15, 2016

great hike - the giant slide is the toughest part but well worth the effort. You can easily bag 4 peaks on the hike!

Sunday, August 13, 2017