Firewarden's Trail

Firewarden's Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Denmark, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pleasant Mtn. stands by itself at the Northern end of Cumberland county, Maine. It is also home to Shawnee Peak ski area. Travel time from Portland is a little over one hour, About 30 minutes to North Conway NH. The MacKay pasture trail ascends Pleasant Mtn. from the southwest and is the longest trail to the summit. (around 2.9 miles) Much of the trail is over open ledges and so provides the most scenic viewing of the four trails that ascend this peak. Great trail, lots of blueberries come late June.

From the beginning to the second stream crossing the hike was very moderate. The bridge at the second stream crossing is in need of some major TLC - as I observed gaping holes in between the floor boards of the bridge due to harsh weather conditions, rotting and continued use. After crossing the bridge, the real hike up began. It was a steady incline with a few leveled out areas so that I could catch my breathe and rest for a minute. Once at the main summit the views of the Saco Valley and the White Mountains were spectacular. On the ledge just west of the summit I could identify Abbott, Hussey and Fort Ridge mountains to the South, the Ossipee mountains to the Southwest and the Presidentials to the Northwest. The old fire tower was in good condition. The bench mark, summit sign and memorial plaque were all in good shape - no signs of vandalism. My wife ate from numerous blueberry and raspberry bushes while at the summit (she said the blueberries were very sweet). The hike up for the faster part of my family was 1hr, 10 minutes. For me and my youngest son it was 1hr, 30 minutes. It took me a little over an hour to get down, and my sons 50 minutes. On the way up and down there are barely any views due to tree cover. Overall it was a great hike for me and my family. I would put 5 stars for this, but that 2nd stream crossing bridge needs to be replaced or repaired.

Hiked it yesterday. Incredibly well maintained trail with red markers at everywhere. Each time you had to question which way to go because of a split in the trail there was a marker to help you. Still pretty wet and the large flat rocks were slippery. Glad I had my poles to save me from a handful of falls.

Could have used microspikes on the top 1/2 of the trail as ice has appeared on the ledges. Managed to travel around the icy areas. Be careful if traveling up this time of year.

the trail was pretty technical due to ice and storm damage. a few trees across the trail but only one you have to bushwack around. This trail has a much more forgiving grade than others on the mountain.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Great day hike with fantastic views :)

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

stunning view! worth the long uphill! mosquitoes were terrible in july--maybe best for late summer/early fall

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great hike! Beware: 98% of the trail is at a 45 degree incline, at least. The summit was really crowded with people but the view are awesome!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

This trail starts out on a deceivingly flat and easy trail, but gets pretty steep towards the top. I took my 9 month old puppy and she love it. Definitely a bit challenging--half way up the hike we were both panting like crazy. I think it took around 3 hours total, up and down, to complete. The view at the top is very pretty and if you go at the right time there are plenty of mountain blueberries to pick. We made a bunch of blueberry muffins afterwards.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Moderate hike. Trail ascends all the way to the top which can be a bit of a challenge for older hikers. Wooded trail with no overlooks until the peak. There are two other trails nearby to the peak that have scenic viewpoints along the way. Beautiful views from the top.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This was a nice trail for a quick day hike. Not too challenging, but has a fairly consistent climb.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Love this trail! I live right down the street and it's a good day hike. The trail follows a small brook as it makes it's way down the mountain.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I love this app, never knew there were so many trails around where I live.
easy to use, 5 stars

Sunday, April 17, 2016

summit views are awesome and relaxing for hours!!!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I really liked this trail. There aren't any views until the summit, but it starts off with a creek on the right and various little waterfalls. It's nice and woodsy and a couple little bridges. I was hiking alone and everyone on the trail was really nice and so were their dogs....should have brought mine! The summit is great and plenty of room to picnic or relax. Views are great ! Other trails summit same peak and think I will try the Ledges Trail next.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Easy trail, pretty with good views at the top.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Great views and fairly easy going. Be careful you don't lose the yellow blazed trail when you get to the first tower. If you do just follow the access road til the trail reappears on your left. I hiked this on a sunny day with temps in the mid 80's so it was nice to descend the firewardens trail which is shady, also there are two or the cold streams to cool off in.

Saturday, August 19, 2017