Fire Warden's Trail

Fire Warden's Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stratton, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very steep, mostly steps but an efficient way to cut into the AT trails

Big hike

It was a nice trail. The first 3 1/2 miles have an elevation of 1,800 feet. The last half mile or so is an additional 700 foot climb. Hiker beware.

LOVE this trail and mountain. one of my favorite hikes in Maine!

I really wanted to finish this trail, but I had to bail about 1/4 mile from the end. The last mile is very steep over rocks and stone steps. Bring LOTS of water for this one.

Also want to note it was a little tricky to find the start for me. I parked in the place where there is a bulliten board with maps and signs. Continue down what looks like a dirt road, to the left of this sign. You will come to another space cleared out with a smaller sign. Continue straight over the bridge (and enjoy the views on either side of the mountains). Then, keep going straight, there is a flat path that runs along the river. There are not a lot of blue blaze markers, so I wasn't sure if I had missed the trailhead. You will pass one camp site up and to the left right after the bridge, then another farther down on the river. The trail head is near this second campsite. Once you are on the trail it is fairly well marked.

There were a few muddy spots, although steps were mostly in place to pass. This is a hike I'd really recommend bringing poles on.

I hope to finish this one another time. All in all a great and remote hike.

The Horns is a great hike for views. First hiked on September 25, 1992. Stayed at Cathedral Pines Campground. Hiked 10 mile loop with nasty downhill.

Last hiked on October 3, 1999. Passed the Sugarloaf Ski Resort access road approximately 3.2 miles. Stratton Brook Road just before the bridge over Stoney Brook, turned right onto dirt road. Took left fork when it came and parked at the end of road. Went up Stratton Brook Road to junction with Firewarden’s Trail and Horn Pond Trail. Took Firewarden’s Trail up to intersection with AT and went left to West Peak. Firewarden’s Trail starts out easy and then gets pretty steep towards end. Took AT from West Peak to South Horn. Took AT from South Horn to intersection with Horn Pond Trail and took latter Trail down. Intersected Firewarden’s Trail and Strattok Brook Road and took Road back to truck. Total time up and down, 8 hours, with stops for breaks and lunch 9:20 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Reached top of West Peak at approximately 1:30 p.m.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I thought this would be a normal hard 4000'. I did Abraham the weekend before and that was a cake walk compared to this. Great hike though. Views were hazy that day but still amazing.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

What a hike! After reading reviews I knew it was difficult, and the hard part was the hike down! Close to 40 years of age, my knees have never ached so bad on a hike before... was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! The 360 views were literally breathtaking, but, it will take some convincing to get me back, only because of the harsh knee terrain.
It's wet, steep, and when you think your almost at the top- you're not! Haha
I recommend it for sure, but next time I'll buy and use trekking poles so save wear on my knees....
Enjoy! Bring plenty of water!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I consider myself to be a fairly experienced hiker and this was by far the hardest climb I've ever done but if you are willing to push yourself the reward of the summit is well worth it. the first 3 miles of the trail is some rough yet relatively level terrain, it's the last Mile to the summit that gets you. it's pretty much straight up on a narrow trail with loose rocks, down trees and water run off. it took us a little over an hour to cover that last Mile. my advice for anyone going to this trail: get there early, bring plenty of water and snacks, a good pair of hiking shoes (waterproof if you can) and pace yourself. the trail says dog friendly but I don't recommend it. Certainly a challenging hike but well worth it once you get to the top!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Great hike, well-marked, steep finish into the col.

Saturday, August 26, 2017