Ferry Beach, Camp Ellis Breakwater

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(25)
Ferry Beach State Park

Ferry Beach, Camp Ellis Breakwater is a 1.3 mile loop trail located near Saco, Maine and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

Sweeping shoreline views, boats in river Ferry Beach State Park is located off Maine Route 9 on Bay View Road between Old Orchard Beach and Camp Ellis in Saco. A stand of tupelo (black gum) trees, rare at this latitude, can be seen in this 100-acre area, which offers a sweeping view of miles of white sand beaches between the Saco River and Pine Point. Long before highways were common north of Boston, beaches provided travelers relatively safe and easy transportation routes. A ferry crossing at nearby Saco River served beach travelers, and thus Ferry Beach State Park received its name. A picnic area, nature trails, guided nature programs, and changing room are available.

Good trail but finding it was difficult. There’s a large blue house with a metal gate around it across the street from the entrance to the trail I found. But it took walking up and down the road a few times to find it. But once I was on it it was well marked and very nice

I couldn't find parking anywhere. the gps said I was there but couldn't find an entrance or parking location anywhere.

Nice fall hike. However they take out the trail markers out of season so I took a photo of the trail network at the beginning of the trail and used it in conjunction with the AllTrails map/GPS. See attached photo taken by someone else.

Really pretty walk. The beach was peaceful, not a ton of people there. A little buggy at times. Various prices to get in. Will definitely go again!

Peaceful! Nice walk to stroll and mosey. Beautiful scenery, lots of pine cones, needles and rolled up birch bark cover parts of the trail. Very pretty!

This is me and my dog's go to trail in the winter months. It is absolutely more of a walk than I hike. My favorite part about this trail is that you get the best of both worlds. You get the quiet, woodsy walk, and then go under the bridge to get to the beach. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Fri Sep 07 2018

A friend and I took advantage of FREE admission for Maine residents to certain state parks; Ferry Beach being one of them. Plenty of parking. Actual bath rooms. Short trail to beach or throughout the park. We did a virtual 5k through the park. Trails were well marked and kept tidy.

Tue Aug 14 2018

Clean, easy trails.

Sun Nov 19 2017

Relaxing early morning stroll.

Tue Jul 04 2017

This trail is ridiculously hard to find and it's full of mosquitos. Wasted my day trying to find my way in and then got eaten alive. Boo.

Thu Sep 13 2012

I'd almost call it walking over hiking. Trail is flat but a nice mixture of woods and beach. To get to the beach you go through a tunnel that goes under the road, but it is still easy access to the road so I'd recommend holding onto your dog as you get close. The gate is closed in the winter, but a good walk, very easy hike, or snowshoe.

Sun Mar 17 2019