Eyebrow Trail and Appalachian Trail Loop

Eyebrow Trail and Appalachian Trail Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newry, Maine that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November.

Beautiful trail, but not dog friendly! Please don't bring your dogs on this trail.

I did this hike over a year ago, however I really enjoyed it. my son and I did this trail and about a mile of the trail going to the mountain on mothers day. We ran in to ice and snow at that point and had to turn around.

Planned on just hiking to The Eyebrow. Got to the top (up Eyebrow Trail), only took us an hour, was only 12:30, and a gorgeous day, so . . . on we go to Old Speck. First, The Eyebrow offers some awesome views in exchange for steep, challenging, but relatively short hiking. So many manicured, man-made stone steps, iron bars, and cable handrails to help with the elevation change that it was almost disappointing. Note that there are several trail branches leading to the edge of the cliff near the top that you should take to get a clear view. There is no open space at the top affording a wide field of vision. Too many trees. Second, the hike from The Eyebrow to Old Speck is long, but due to the early elevation gain, it is largely undulating ridge hiking with gradual elevation gain to 4,300 feet. There are several steep-ish rises along the way, but they are mercifully short. You must climb the ladder to the top of the fire tower at the summit. DO NOT MISS THIS, even if you are fearful of ladders/heights. Third, there is some debate about the AllTrails stats for the hike to Old Speck, and my stats suggest an error by AllTrails. It is not 5.9 miles, but about 6.8 to 7 miles round trip measured from the parking lot to the summit, taking the Eyebrow Trail, then the AT, and coming back down the AT all the way to the lot. Took us 4 hours and 45 minutes, with periodic rests, and time to take in the views at The Eyebrow and Old Speck summit (as well as lunch and two trips up and down the fire tower). It was a long day, and we ran out of water (100 oz me, 72 oz wife) halfway through the trip down to the lot. Well worth the sore muscles and joints the next day, though. reviously hiked this on August 21, 1994 and September 13-14, 1997.

The trail is 2.1 miles. My wife and I started at 10 and finished it at 2. That should tell one that it was more difficult than we expected. The first half is all up. It includes large rocks, poles with wire rope, the rings of a ladder hammered into rock to help one climb, hand rails to help one to hold on for safety and a metal ladder to continue on up the trail. After getting to the top there are a couple of nice spots to sit and take in the view. The last half is longer as it is not as steep but almost nothing but bolder fields. Make sure you have water and have told someone where you are. An injury could be bad news. Finally a good part of the trail is part of the AT. At 67 I would not do this one again.

great view and trail but beware of technical pieces (iron rungs & rock faces) if you attempt with kids or dogs. nice , enjoyable loop

This is a great trail, well travelled and maintained with a good amount of challenging sections and a great view from the summit.

Great views of the notch

Great views off to the side towards the top !

Beau hiking, beau point de vue.
Je l'ai fait avec mon chien et il y a plusieurs points
D'eau sur la route. Je suis redescendue par old speck trail. Ça donne une loop d'environ 2h/2h30 max. C'est aussi très peu achalandé. J'ai croisé 3
Personnes en juillet.

Great views!

In 2002 we rose early and departed from Brunswick through Topsham and Auburn/Lewiston on 196, taking 121 through Mechanic Falls, and getting onto 26N, onto Norway and South Paris, north on 26 from Bethel, then into Grafton Notch State Park. Wes spotted a real live moose along the way (the only one we saw the whole trip). We first stopped at Screw Auger Falls, which was a nice cascade of waterfalls with a gorge at the bottom resembling an auger bit hole that had been crafted by rushing water over the years. We next entered the “notch”, which is a mountain pass or gap, and parked in the parking lot right in the crux and on the AT. We took the climb to the Eyebrow 2.1M RT on Eyebrow Trail Loop (Orange blazes off white-blazed AT), which would descend via the white blazed AT on our return. The hike was very steep and challenging, seemed much longer than 2.1 miles, had lots of rocks and tree roots, but was cool and quiet. My boys surprisingly did not complain too much. A low cloud cover hampered the views of the mountainside. We rested at the top, had a brief snack, and met a nice couple, who had hiked to the top of Old Speck and spent the night. Afterwards, my family made me vow not to do another exhausting hike like that again, even though we all felt like we had accomplished a major trek. Seems now there are ladders and ropes to help get up the hill - we had only used tree roots. Quite steep and challenging, but rewarding.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Eyebrow is an awesome challenge! Steep the whole way, using ladder rungs and cable to pull yourself up! Dogs can make it, but I wouldn't recommend taking a dog this way! Awesome view!