Learn more

Evans Notch - Blueberry Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(118)
White Mountain National Forest

Evans Notch - Blueberry Mountain Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fryeburg, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.1 mi Elevation gain 1,591 ft Route type Loop

Photos (563)
Recordings (69)
Completed (280)
Dennis Morton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 27, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

Really enjoyed the climb and did the loop clockwise which I think is the best way to do it. Hike with my dog and must say there were a few interesting spots for him. Will definitely do it again

Nicole Egan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2020
HikingGreat!Private property

It was a beautiful trail but there was more bouldering than I was prepared for. I thought the trail was well marked.

Argyle B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a truly beautiful hike my crew was lucky to do as fall is at its peak. As others suggested go left when you start to avoid having to go down the steepest part to save your knees. Hiking time was about 4-4,5hrs but took some long breaks to enjoy the views at the top and the gorge at the bottom.

Alyssa Curtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

Added on speckled mountain to make for a longer day. Not too hard but long mile wise. Great to relax at rattlesnake pool on the way down!

Amy Golino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

After having made the mistake of doing white cairn last year, which was a ball busting steep climb of boulders the whole way with only one outlook spot before summit, I was anxious to do stone house, the easier hike up blueberry mount, rattlesnake pool, etc, It was good, great view at top, but hard to find, signage not great, but was long. A little too long for me, I was hurting going down. A four+ hour hike for us. We were warned, a bear cub and Large mom bear were in trail but cub had scurried up a tree and mom was below, about 10 yards off trail. Freaked me out frankly.

Rachel Rose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyPrivate propertyRockyScramble

Overall, this was a great and challenging hike that gets your heart rate up and makes your hamstrings feel the burn! At the first T on the trail after parking, we went left (clockwise), which ultimately becomes the steeper, rockier, and more difficult uphill path—definitely go LEFT if you want to get a really good workout (including some scrambles) and spare your knees on the way down. We went on Thursday, 9/3, arriving at 9am after a full day of rain the day before. The trail was muddy in parts, but not as bad as I was expecting. The most annoying part was that, for the first mile or so rounding the pond, there were scores of enormous spider webs (yes, with live spiders on them) spanning the width of the trail, meaning they were effectively blocking the trail. Every two feet or so there was another darn spider web—and they were big, often right at face or eye level (I’m 5’6”) and not always easy to see until it’s too late. (We walked through one too many before we had to start waving a long stick in front of us just to “clear” the path of any webs.) That was a total buzzkill; at one point we almost turned around. Past the pond, the spider webs weren’t much of an issue, thankfully. It was very odd; I’ve never seen so many like that, one right after the other. The ascent after the pond gradually steepens until you get to the most challenging part of all: the boulder “staircase” followed by a series of granite rock scrambles. The gradient is steep and it certainly gives an excellent cardio workout! The best views (which are really lovely) are along this part of the climb, so be sure to pause and take them in/get your photos snapped, maybe eat some lunch. (There is no view at the official “summit.”) This was about the 4-4.5-mile mark. A great halfway point! The route here is very well marked with strategically placed mounds of stones that guide the way. The descent (if you took the clockwise loop route) was generally pretty easy and far less steep than the ascent. Pretty muddy and slippery in places because of the prior night’s rains. The swim hole is definitely a natural wonder and though it was way too cold to swim in today, it was great for dipping sore, tired feet. :) A stretch of the last 1.5-2 miles runs through an expansive grassy field, which also serves as an air strip (weird), and past a few private homes. ****NOTE: I highly recommend that you download the trail map to your phone BEFORE you arrive, because there’s no cell service there, and because that map is a life-saver for getting through many poorly marked/confusing places, including this one.**** Surprisingly, there were only a few mosquitoes in certain places along the 8.1-mile trail, but heavy duty bug spray was definitely helpful. I was also expecting those pesky biting deer flies, especially near the water, but there were none! Maybe it’s past their season now; last year in early August, the darn things were on every trail I went on. My friend and I (both healthy, active, and in our late 30s) completed the full loop in about 5 hours, including two pee stops, two breaks for snacks/lunch, and two backtracks (after having mistakenly taken the wrong route where markers were absent).

Brianna Shaffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyWashed out

Little confused by the signs. Originally thought we where doing a 1.4 mile hike from what the sign stated however as we where passing folks it was a bit more then that signs where tricky after getting off the trail, however we managed to figure it out thank goodness! lol. We enjoyed the hike, steep rock ledges and steps going up but the view is incredible! We did it! Amazing!

Matt Shaffer
HikingBridge outMuddyRocky

8.1 mile hike 6 Kids 2 dogs and 1,591ft to the top! We got so many comments shocked we did this. We shocked ourselves! We did that in 5/6 hours wouldn’t suggest with infants

Amy Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
Hiking

8/30/2020: Nice hike. Just a little uphill challenge to the peak. The Rattlesnake pool was “gorge”ous. Well marked with rock piles at the top, but not well marked coming down from the gorge into the field. If you’re going down that direction, make a sharp left through the field on the trail past the house at the end of the airstrip. Blueberries are at the end of their season.

View Amy's Recording
Michael Fahey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2020
Hiking

We took the white cairn blueberry ridge trail. We were following the yellow markers, but stopped seeing them when we got towards the summit. We made it to a few view points, and didn’t trust the trail to keep going considering we didn’t see a yellow marker for about half mile. We turned around and went all the way back down and just hiked the short way to the rattlesnake pool. The emerald pool was amazing and refreshing.

Elianna Maniatakos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

The trail was poorly marked, and the view was not as nice as I had expected it to be, I really wish I downloaded the maps on Alltrails beforehand. The bugs were insane so bring bug spray. It was also pretty muddy so proper shoes are a must. The hike itself I would probably give a 3, but our swim after at the Rattlesnake pool makes me give it a 4. The water was lovely and it was unlike any water source I had seen before. The water glistened green with the sun. I would go back just to swim there again, but wouldn't go back for the hike.

mollie tomlinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

Absolutely download the map. You lose service before you get there. Trail marked poorly. Black flies were out of control. Grass not mowed

Chris Gironda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

This hike has everything yes even blueberries. Some parts of the trail were steep and you had to be able to climb rocks. Great look out spots as you reach the summit.

View Chris's Recording
Loren Starcher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
HikingBugsPrivate property

Very nice hike. We followed the yellow markets around pond and up the steeper trail and came down the stone cabin trail. Bugs at the beginning / end and around pond. Beautiful views at top of yellow marker trail. Took us a little under 4:30 including stops / lunch. We downloaded the all trails map which help ensure we did not get on the wring trail.

Allison L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
Hiking

Reviewing the trail as two moderately fit, experienced hikers in our mid-30s. We clocked this trail at 8 miles and completed it with 4 hours of moving time. Reached the trailhead at 10:30AM on Sunday, June 14 and there were three cars with two more just arriving. We went clockwise (yellow up), which allowed us to ascend via the steeper rock stairs and descend on softer wooded ground saving the knees. Amazing vistas - stop there for lunch just before the summit to sit with the views a bit longer (too forested at the top to see out to the surrounding peaks). There were about six spots where we misplaced the trail for a minute due to trampled muddy forest floor. Highly recommend downloading the AllTrails map to avoid getting lost since there is no cell service in the immediate area. Overall very enjoyable hike with a bit of everything!