East Royce Trail

East Royce Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bethel, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,643 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is not a moderate hike, it’s quite challenging and steep. It was rocky the entire way and unfortunately due to the fog the views at the summit were not visible.

I loved this trail! It’s steep all the way up, and I mean ALL the way up...flatter ground very rarely for 10-15 seconds...but it’s a short hike, so when you’re descending and starting to wear out, you’re done. A good hike for someone looking for something quick but challenging. Will certainly do it again sometime.

Definitely difficult but as others have said the view is worth the hike. Took us about an hour and 20 minutes to get up. Mostly shaded until the last few tenths of a mile. Moderate bugs and slippery in places on the descent on July 5th. Trail is well marked with yellow blazes. We lost GPS on the drive to the parking lot, but were able to follow the map as it wound along the river.

East Royce is very steep, short on the map but straight up.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Didn’t get views due to rain/clouds but still a super fun hike. Pretty steep and challenging in wet conditions.

Wed Sep 19 2018

tough climb but the view is worth every bead of sweat earned. would recommend even to those out of shape like me. I made it and would do it again.

Sun Jul 01 2018

being new hiker I thought the steepness of this trail was very challenging but so worth it at the top!!! well marked and easy to follow.

Wed May 30 2018

Amazing views at the top despite being a short hike! The trail was beautiful but steep the entire way.

Wed Nov 01 2017

Great trail...

Sun Oct 29 2017

Great Hike, this is on the high end of moderate. Hiked after heavy rains this week. Wet trail , steep in parts , rocky and lots of roots. Great ledges with views.

Sun Oct 22 2017

Typically spectacular Evans Notch area hike. Last hiked on August 10, 1991. Did the Royce Trail Loop to the top of East Royce using Laughing Lion Trail. Took 4.5 hours.

Mon Sep 25 2017

Don't be fooled by the length, this is a tough trail! Steep but totally worth it! Took me an hour and a half up and an hour down, but I'm slow. Could be tough for a small/older dog, even my lab was struggling a bit.

Wed Aug 23 2017

We hiked up to view the solar eclipse on 8/21/2017. The weather cooperated and we had nice views from the summit. The trail was short but steep (as reported). If you are out of shape you will be reminded of that. Overall the hike was very pleasant with a very high payoff for the effort.

Mon Aug 21 2017

Loved this hike! It certainly is steep but I'd say it's dog friendly. The view from the top was very beautiful, I bet it looks amazing in the fall with all of the foliage colors. We did this at about 10:30 am on a Sunday in August and only past one other couple. Be aware that some trees have sap on them so if you use them for leverage you might be sticky for the rest of the hike! I'd call this easy to moderate. Moderate side only being because you need some endurance for all the steep hills and rocks and if it's very humid out it doesn't make it any easier.

Mon May 29 2017

I've hiked this trail numerous times in the past and it's always an enjoyable hike, especially when you don't have a lot of time. Early in the season be prepared for lots of black flies. Insect repellent is a must. It's a short 1.5 miles from the parking lot to the summit but it's steep all the way up. If you have the time I would recommend doing West Royce as well.

Sat Oct 08 2016

What a rush! This gnarly trail did not disappoint. It took us just under 45 mins to summit - probably a record for the trail. The social media-worthy views from the top broke records for "likes" on all my accounts. Highly recommend this trail to all those looking for a quick, thrilling adventure. PSA: don't forget your hiking poles. So blessed to have remembered mine. Happy hiking, friends!

Tue Sep 13 2016

Fairly nice trail, short hike but pretty steep. Went on a beautiful day in September. I love the view from the summit with the surrounding mountains. I only completed East Royce, when I have more time i'll definitely go back and do West Royce which is just under 2 miles from East Royce.

Sat Oct 25 2014

Hiked from the northern most trail head. It was a beautiful autumn day and quite warm. The trail was fairly well marked. I wanted to make a loop but the trail was not marked well from the top down, so we went back down the same way we took up. Maybe next time.

Mon Aug 27 2012

nice hike straight up to the summit of East Royce and I mean straight up. Its around 1.7 miles to the summit but it will feel like 5. Once you get to the summit though its worth it.

recorded East Royce