Eagle Lake Carriage Road Trail

Eagle Lake Carriage Road Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 337 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Great easy walk. I took my dog and we ambled along comfortably. Overcast and windy but beautiful. Temperature in the high 30’s low 40’s. Saw just a few other people. Ahhh the beauty of Acadia off season! Highly recommend. Walk around eagle lake but really mostly out of sight until the last mile.

icy

phone died halfway through recording, but trail was easy and primarily flat.

Nice wide trail with great views of Eagle Lake and a lot of other hiking trails off of it for more options. Also a great biking option!

If you go counterclockwise there are a few big hills. It’s easier the other way. The trail is nice and wide but there is one section with the pond view. So if you’re looking for scenic, it’s not here.

The current description of this trail is misleading. The Eagle Lake Trail is NOT the Eagle Lake Carriage road loop around Eagle Lake. The Eagle Lake Trial is a 1.8 mile trail that comes off the carriage road at the Bubble trail that heads up to Conners Nubble. The proper Eagle Lake Trail while appearing to be an easy trail I would submit is a moderately challenging trail. It is an intense bouldering experience. While to ANP trial map does not suggest any significant elevation gain - do not be fooled. This trail is almost 2 miles of boulder and at times challenging bouldering. I would strongly caution against bringing children or dogs on this trail. I have hiked most if Acadia with my dogs - labs, Golden Retriever and Great Dane - and this was the one time that I was regretting not stopping and getting off this trail.

Six mile bike, run and walking trail. Elevations throughout. Gorgeous scenery and views of Eagle Lake.

Excellent easy walking and biking trail Our favorite.

First trail we hiked when my husband and I arrived at Acadia. Eagle Lake is absolutely gorgeous! Wish the hike was more trail-like rather than mostly carriage road, but we found a few spots that trailed along the lake and that was awesome.

I hiked this trail few days ago. I am not in great shape but I exercise regularly. This trail was hard. We were told slow ascent if you go clockwise (left at trailhead) and steeper ascent if you go counterclockwise around the lake. Both had a lot of hills and I felt so sorry for the families w smaller children on bikes and pushing strollers. It took us a little over two hours and I was drenched in sweat. Take water. Great workout and I’m glad I did it, but won’t do it again just due to the inclines. 55 yo

We enjoyed a few beautiful scenic views of the lake at the end of our ride, but overall this was very difficult and long to bike--especially if you don't normally bike that much. A LOT of it is uphill, and we found ourselves walking our bikes and it just kept going up and up. The other side of course, goes down a lot more, but this is not a trail I would normally choose. I think hiking it would be challenging as well. A lot of the carriage road does not have views other than the trees. Also, you must spray on mosquito spray before biking or hiking it. We could hardly seem to get away from them once they got started on us! Made it hard to stop and take breaks.

Quick and easy hike. Mostly flat terrain with lots of shade. Seemed to be good for bikers with many on the trail. Definitely do not forget insect repellent.

This was a nice, easy hike through the woods with views of Eagle Lake for half the loop. There were lots of cyclists on the carriage road.

Easy, scenic views. Nature stuff. Biking too.

Nice and easy carriage road trail. Saw some wildlife which is always nice. Total loop is 6 miles.

A nice easy trail that meanders between woods and lakeside. Easy level, with little alternate side options trails if you prefer to get off the gravel road

easy and nice relaxing ride on carraige road. shady and not alot of bugs. has many other choices to extend your biking trip.

If you want to take a nice long walk, this is the place to visit, even during winter months. There are plenty of viewing areas along the way, especially during the fall months.

Took this trail from Jordan's Pond trail as a little extra mileage. It was buggy, but the lake was gorgeous.

Coming from Southern California to snowshoe in Bar Harbor, ME was well worth the expense and effort. We decided to take this trail because it was conveniently located near where we were staying on the island. We left the snowshoes and wore the micro-spikes because of the snow packed condition of the trail, and there was lots of ice. I was energized by all that I viewed. The sunlight on the snow covered trail set the mood for this hike. The lake was covered in ice and it was gorgeous!. Not to mention the photo ops!

Tue Nov 27 2018

the vast majority of this Trail is a flat gravel Carriage Road. We broke off the trail to the right toward the lake around 2/3 of the way through the loop. The shorts spur took us across a few boardwalks and down to a rock scramble next to the lake. We traveled approximately one mile over numerous large boulders. This added a bit of strenuous hiking to the loop. Overall, a gorgeous walk during Peak fall color.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Very easy, flat trail. Very nice once you get away from the road. Nice views of the lake, trees and hills.

Wed Oct 03 2018

beautiful scenery!

Mon Sep 17 2018

Easy walking trail with a slight inclines in a few areas. We walked the 6 miles around the lake. Not to crowded saw bikers, runners and walkers. Nice shade cover. Please take the time to sit on a rock and enjoy the lake. There are some very nice spots on the one side of the lake. (left side)

Wed Aug 22 2018

Blue trail along the lake required some rock climbing.

Sat Aug 18 2018

These carriage road trails around Eagle Lake offer spectacular views every season. Most of this 6+ mile loop is a flat wide gravel path with a short steep windy section. So far I've hiked, snowshoed, and mountain biked this loop. During winter there're established cross country skiing tracks. Excellent fishing opportunities; I've uploaded photos from winter 2018 ice fishing trip. This loop trail offers numerous junctions where the carriage road continues in many directions throughout the park.

Wed Aug 08 2018