Learn more

Doubletop Mountain Trail is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Length 13.4 mi Elevation gain 4,704 ft Route type Out & Back
Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Forest Views Wild flowers No dogs
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Maine Office of Tourism, 59 State House Station , Augusta, ME, 04333-0059, Phone: (888) 624-6345

Directions from Millinocket, ME: Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear left and travel about 12 miles to the Foster Field Picnic Area. Make a left which travels to the Kidney Pond Campground. Immediately after the bridge there is a trailhead on the Right. The trail says it leads to Slaughter pond, but links up with the Doubletop trail about a mile in. Ascent is best from this end as it is very steep. After ascending to the South Peak the trail runs along a ridge for a short way before tucking back into some conifers on the way to the North peak. The trail from the north peak leads to the Nesowadnehunk Campground. about 7 miles up the tote road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (32)
Photos (50)
Recordings (12)
Completed (76)
Lilly Worthley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2020
Hiking

This hike wasn’t 13 miles. Much closer to 5 or 6. The way up was an hour nature walk, hour steep hiking. Hour scrambling. Very fun very beautiful. Out of shape me was hating hour two and had to rest a ton but it’s still worth it

Hattie Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

My favorite hike of the week we spent in BSP. Big climb with a lot of rock scrambling near the top. Gorgeous views! Make sure to go both peaks!! The trail between the two peaks is easy.

John Dalton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Hiking

I hiked this mtn two years ago. Views are everywhere in terms of beautiful forest scenes, ponds, and streams. And a great view at the top. If you hike it solely for the view at the top you are doing it wrong.

Danielle Verbrigghe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyScramble

I hiked this yesterday, starting at Kidney Pond and hitting both peaks before heading down the same route. Lots of bugs, especially in the first three miles. Also lots of downed trees, very wet sections (even on a dry and sunny day), and a few muddy parts. The highlight for me was about 1,000 feet of fun rock scrambles before the summit- nothing technical, but a few wet slabs that were very slippery. Most of the hike is below the treeline with not a lot of views, but once you reach the top the views are incredible and worth the effort. I saw only two other groups hiking all day. This was a very quiet, sparsely-trafficked trail with a remote feeling. I would rate the difficulty as moderate, but it did take around 6 hours, including an hour lounging at the summit, mainly due to slow going on some of the muddy, wet and scrambling sections.

Jake Jacob
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2019
Hiking

Did this hike with my 21 year old son on August 6th, the most gorgeous day of the summer. Everyone else in the park was on Katahdin so we had the entire double top to ourselves. Not a lot of views on the accent but reaching the first peak and then hiking over to the eastern top was spectacular. 4-5 hours up n down. We drove up to Neosiwdahunk stream from Katahdin Stream campground and hiked from there. Post hike swim a must at the ledges.

Martine LeGassey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2019
HikingScramble

Steep climb, short in distance, took us less than 5 hours hiking to do both peaks from Nesourdnahunk campground. Nice views of North Brother and Katahdin.

Katherine Doyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2019

Never knew how out of shape I was until a hike in Maine. This was great fun, and I need to be in better shape to do it again. We have switchbacks where I’m from!

Melora Norman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

This is a beautiful, quiet and reasonably challenging trail with lots of variety: streams, a bit of bouldering, alpine flora and fauna...we went up and back the north half in about seven hours. Amazing views.

Cam Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2019
HikingBridge outFloodedGreat!Rocky

First solo hike I ever did in 2019. Did this trail from the south end of the park (Kidney Pond campground was the start I believe) during mid June. The trail took me to a river fording, which was a little sketchy since the recent rain had caused the stream to be quite deep. After the river ford (about a mile or two in) the ascent begins, and man is it steep. With wet conditions, the trail was basically a running stream all the way up the mountain, making it quite sketchy in places. Can't see much for views until tree line breaks just moments before the summit. I would like to go back when it hasn't rained so much prior to my hike. Either way the view at the top is one that could keep you sitting up there for hours. Truly a hidden gem in Baxter and all of Maine for that matter. Highly recommend if you are looking for a less trafficked hike - I had the whole mountain to myself all day.

Elliott Sanders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2019
Over grownScrambleSnow

the mountain was a beast in the snow with that steep ending. thankfully I didn't have to break trail. i put overgrown but it was the 4ft of snow below me. hell of a slog but made it up top.

Chris Boyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2018
Hiking

I hiked up from kidney pond. It’s about 9.4 miles up and back. I gave it 5 stars for the views. The south peak was the better of the two in my opinion. I didn’t meet anyone on the trail all day so if you’re looking for trail with few people in Baxter this is it. The first 4 miles or so was easy hiking. The last 0.5 mile was more difficult climbing up rock and ledge.

Joanna Cohen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2018

We started at the North trail head and hike up to the first peak only. The hike started well enough, fern lined and picturesque. After you pass the stream about 1.5 miles in, the trail becomes incredibly steep with giant rocks and steps to make. We took lots of water breaks and breathing breaks and made it with no real problems. The smell of sun soaked balsam was our reward for toughing it out, as the trees became a bit shorter and the sun poked through more frequently. The thick moss on the boulders surrounding the trail was enchanting, and finally we popped up a rock, around the corner and there we were on the summit. We sat at the top for lunch and had fantastic views of the western side of Katahdin. We decided that we had no need to go to the second summit point even though it was SO CLOSE. (Playing in the water at The Ledges seemed more enticing.) The way down was much faster, although still very steep! Lots of bug bites, but this IS Maine!

Samantha Torpedo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2017
Hiking

Beautiful place! Came extremely unprepared, just going for a lunch walk.. Unfortunately the last foot bridge / log was not secure to cross yesterday.. We will definitely be going back . Its one of the less populated trails. There were fresh bear tracks and poo on the trail. I'm a white mountain hiker.. the animals stay very hidden out there. I recommend gong towards the end of the season due to swarms of mosquitos in the beginning. The place is so magical. Someone put rose petals down every 3 feet.. really nice.

Katelyn Lovley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 24, 2017

it was my 23rd birthday and first ever solo hike along with my first solo camping trip. it was by far the best experience of my life. I think I have found a new birthday tradition!!!

Noah Kolodji
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2016
Hiking

did this at the age of 8 or so wonderful views and lots of moose droppings. would definitely do again

Pauline Lefebvre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2016

Great hike! In the woods for the two first hours, part along and literally inside a brook, before a really steep rocky way up... which is definitely worse the effort: the view is just tremendous!

Eric Calderwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2014
Hiking

Great hike with great views, very steep coming from the south end.

David Sjostedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2013
First to Review

Decent hike if you are in the park and looking to do something other than Katahdin. Pretty good steeps near the top. Good plateau at the peak for lunch. Great view of Katahdin.