Learn more

Dorr Mountain Ladder Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Length 2.7 mi Elevation gain 1,131 ft Route type Loop

Scramble

No dogs

Waypoints (0)
Facilities

Gravel roadside parking just south of the Tarn (lake) on Route 3 (south of the Sieur de Monts Park Entrance).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (212)
Photos (397)
Recordings (117)
Completed (621)
robert miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

SO many stairs on this hike, but worth it! If you have trouble going down stairs, I’d suggest to take the north or south rim trail down. We took the north rim trail down, then connected to the starting trailhead via Jesup path. There are about 3 sections of the trail that you need to climb up a ladder on, but I would be comfortable allowing kids to do this as there is a big base underneath them and the ladders are only about 4-5 rungs (unlike the beehive hike).

Lori Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Fun trail, Endless steps and rail ladders

Samantha Klingelhofer
View Samantha's Recording
Abbey Licht
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020

Fun hike! The stairs were a good challenge. Fairly populated trail until we came back down to Schiff’s path - didn’t see anyone here. I liked this portion quite a bit because we had a nice view of the harbor. Then walking back along the tarn was a nice cool down. Didn’t see any beavers but saw evidence of their work.

David Schoen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingRocky

Great view up top. Lots of stairs and straight up. Definitely will do it again. Got to see beavers in the pond at the end of the hike.

View David's Recording
Emily Wertz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

Did this trail June 14, 2020. About 65 degrees out and the perfect day to do such a strenuous trail. We brought our dog which it says not to but our dog is small enough to carry up the ladders and acts like a little goat. She did great but it’s advisable to not bring a dog. We’re in pretty good shape but needed a couple breaks going up as there must be a thousand stairs. There are 3 areas with ladders and iron rungs. These areas are very steep but nothing compared to beehive or precipice trails. Overall this trail was great; wonderful 360 views.

cynthia young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 28 2020

loved this!!

Cindy Puckett Groesbeck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020

I am a little nervous of heights but the views are beautiful. Would do this again!

Corinne Herlihy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 06 2020
HikingIcy
Keri New
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 14 2020
Hiking

This is my favorite hike of all time (and I’m terrified of heights). Before the hike, I didn’t see a lot of reviews about it being steep, and maybe my fear is way more than others but there were parts up Dorr Mountain that made me a little weak. Still LOVE this trail, I also went a different route than I found on All Trails (not on purpose but because the hike up was so steep there was no way I was going back down that same way). From the trailhead you walk up about a million stairs, I’m in good shape and I had to take a few breaks, there are 2-3 ladders to climb that weren’t too bad and the views at the top were spectacular. As I mentioned, there was NO CHANCE I was going down the way I came up, way too steep for me. Opted for the backside of the mountain, which is also very steep but more so jumping down large boulders, and it was really fun. At the bottom we took a right down Gorge Trail and it was so beautiful. There are beautifully laid rock step path along a creek. I did this hike the 1st weekend of November so I can’t imagine how beautiful it would have been in the spring. At the end of Gorge Trail we took Hemlock to Jesup which connects to Kane Path at the pond where we took our shoes off and soaked our feet in the ice cold water then finished back to the trailhead. It was a very long strenuous hike, I think it took around 4 hours but we still talk about this hike all the time. It’s great!!

Jasper Clerx
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Dec 03 2019
HikingIcy

Great trail with some nice views,however we started from the other side: Kurt Diedrich’s trail, with trail shoes, not spikes. We are moderate hikers. Took about 45m to get to the first signposts at a crossing. We followed the Schiff’s path and this is where it got a little bit tricky: water had went over the path and because of the recent temperatures it left some treacherous (albeit fun) ice plates on the trail. Some could be avoided by walking off the trail, others we had to carefully walk over. After another 25m we got to the next crossing. We noticed that the last bit of the Ladder Trail was impassable due to ice! Unless maybe wearing spiked shoes. We were happy we took the other way! We continued but turned back after 10m because we still had a long drive to go and did not want to end up too late at the next destination. I think the snowy and icy conditions will be worse when following to the very top. The trip down, also using the Shiff’s and Kurt’s pass lasted about 25m. Apart from the icy parts, I consider this trail moderate at most.

Hayden Sulkowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 22 2019
Hiking

I enjoyed this trail very much. It is a very good trail for a beginner looking for a challenge but not to Challenging.

Jasmine Pratt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 16 2019
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful! I am not in the best shape but I was still able to complete this! It took 2 and a half hours to do the loop. 3 ladders and lots and lots of stone steps. Totally worth it and will do it again!

Butch Gregory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 14 2019
Hiking

Awesome hike. I'm a 60 year old male in good shape and it was challenging but glad I did it. I was already in the clouds when I got to the summit of Dorr so no point going on to Cadillac. Will definitely go back on a clear day.

Vaskar upadhyay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 05 2019
Hiking

It's a short but taxing hike up the ladder..

Kris Giba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 01 2019
HikingRockyScramble

This trail kicked my butt! It is like a stair stepper on the side of a mountain. Beautiful views though make it worth it. There were only about 3 ladders that weren’t too bad. We did it on a day that it misted rain all day and I would not recommend doing that. It was very Slippy in some areas! Overall awesome and strenuous hike but worth it.

View Kris 's Recording
Liz Nevin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 29 2019
Hiking

Lovely hike on a gorgeous fall day. The ascent is challenging but up up up to the top for wonderful views and a comfortable descent. Stone steps are beautiful and squeezing thru narrow rock crevasses add to the fun. I had my 40 lb dog and my 2 friends were able to lift her up the ladders.. Its doable but tricky. Highly recommend

Jennifer Smyth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 28 2019
HikingScramble
View Jennifer's Recording
Danny Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 17 2019
Hiking

Dorr isn’t super exciting. If you are taking this trail, go all the way up to Cadillac because that is a gorgeous view. Then take the Cadillac south ridge trail to cannon brook and that should get you close to the parking lot. At least then you’ll have some nice views. Took about 2.5 hours

Mark Nekic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 16 2019
Hiking

A tough slog up a giant stone stair case. All the work of the Precipice hike, without any of the excitement!

matthew loitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

Interesting bridge work to start adjacent to a picturesque pond. The trail elves worked overtime on a staircase that ascends forever. The iron ladders are not a cause for any concern. I would recommend descending the South Ridge trail which has some fantastic views as another option. I moved at a consistent pace but wasnt rushing and finished in 1:50 min.

Brittany & Windsor Guzman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 20 2019
Hiking

Great hike. Stair master on crack all the way up ladder trail lol. Beautiful descent with great views and walk along the lake with plenty of frogs. We made it up in 35 min which was a hard push up and relaxed up top with a nice cool down all the way down the loop. Also, you can bring a dog up the other trails to Dorr mountain that’s not the ladder trail. Definitely wouldn’t recommend going up ladder trail because of the one ladder section for dogs.

View Brittany & Windsor's Recording
Andrew Sandage
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 16 2019
Hiking

This was a great hike to start out my Acadia trip with. It's a good introduction to the ladder hikes (Beehive and Precipice Trails) but is quite a bit less popular. I think there was only one other group out there the morning that we went. While not as intense as the other ladder trails, it still has some challenge and very rewarding views.

Dan Kassner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 14 2019
Hiking

Fantastic trail! Tough up the ladder path but then smooths out for great views and easy walk down the shift path to emery to jesup to Kane. Fantastic day!

View Dan's Recording
Allison Maynard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 07 2019
HikingRocky

Super cool trail, lots of rock stairs and some iron ladder pieces and rugs for climbing up particularly steep parts. Went with my parents and we all did fine! Great views, challenging but a really good workout with different terrains.

Hope L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 06 2019
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble
View Hope's Recording
Brian Pinto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 02 2019
HikingRocky

Great workout. Thus is a good hike for anyone looking for a challenge that has a variety of terrain and terrific views.

View Brian's Recording