Dorr Mountain Ladder Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Gravel roadside parking just south of the Tarn (lake) on Route 3 (south of the Sieur de Monts Park Entrance).

The trail is incredible but I would not advise for the winter. We did this trail on a cold day and the day before it rained. In many places had ice which made the path slippery. Even with the metal ladders I do not consider it a difficult trail but it requires care and a little effort.

Great views at the end, but be prepared for some butt-burning stair climbing in order to get there! Possibly a better view than Cadillac Mtn! :)

difficult but great hike

If you ever wish to find out what it was like for Hannibal to march 40 elephants over the Italian Alps like a mad man, then this is the hike for you! This trail is on the more difficult end of moderate, so don't pick a hot day to do this. This trail is more like a Highway to Hell, than a Stairway to Heaven, but definitely glad I did it.

Loved this hike! Wasn’t sure I could “face my fear” on the 3 ladders, but it wasn’t bad. Great workout on the steep stone steps. Amazing views!

"Endless" set of stairs - but was fun. Came back via Dorr South Ridge instead of Schiff path.

Awesome trail. So much fun. Not too strenuous not too easy.

I can’t believe someone gave this a 1 Star because the ladders were too hard.. they are ridiculously easy.. must have gotten this trail confused with another

We started just past the Spring house on the Emory trail. Started up steps an did not stop....the views are good but never change. The descent was just as difficult for me. Note, I am a 58 year old novice who trusted the reviews of the park rangers and this site. If your a seasoned hiker then this trail may be for you. Novices like me should seek fun elsewhere. It should be rated difficult!!
Glad I did it as a life experience though..

My first hike in Acadia. Thought I would knock out the loop and head elsewhere. Welllll my 3mi hike turned into 10.5mi because the trails connect so well.

We took Homans path to the Schiff path to the summit and the Northridge Trail down. A spectacular hike that took about 4 hours with some stops to take in the views.

Nearly killed myself on the ladder part.

Definitely a lot of stone steps and 3 iron ladders as in the name- the first was a bit challenging for this short 50 year old whose " afraid of falling"). The views were worth it and there were plenty of wild blueberries to nibble on

Loved this trail. I was looking for one to make me break a sweat and I got what I asked for. Lots of steps. Huge sense of accomplishment. Finished at Dorr Mtn then to Cadillac. Excellent day!

NOT A DOG FRIENDLY TRAIL! But we still made it with my dog thanks to my hefty husband. This is a beautiful hike and definitely worth the trek.

My kids said that this trail was as in their computer game. We really had fun!
And when you're going down, you're passing through wild blueberry :-)
The only point, if your dog is heavier than 50 pounds and you cannot lift it up on yourself, better don't take it to this trail.

Ascend Dorr Ladder trail; descend Dorr Mt South Ridge, then return to car on Canon Brook/Kane Path. Not sure why it's called "Ladder" trail - should be "Endless Stone Steps!" Incredible workout going up (steps can get tedious staring down at feet), just when you think it's over - you still have a tough climb over exposed granite areas where the views really open up. Great views at summit, seeing all the crowds on adjacent Cadillac summit just above you. South ridge trail down is great thru some pine areas into the shade and quiet of tranquil Canon Brook - walking along the brook and beaver dams, crossing dams on wooden plank bridges back to the car. Parking lot is large off Rte 3, always plenty of space. A very difficult ascent - but overall a great loop hike with tons of variety and no crowds.

Not appropriate for dogs

Awesome trail however not dog friendly despite the description.

Did the trail as the map shows. This takes you up some steep steps and a few ladders. Definitely go all the way and see the summit. Amazing views, one of our favorite trails we’ve ever done.

Great trail with allot of stairs. Trail is well maintained and unique with granite forged steps that meander up and up. Slippery when wet!

Misrepresented by the name. This should be called the Stairs Trail. 2 or 3 iron ladders, with a little bit of vertical climbing at the beginning, followed by 30-45 minutes plus of stairs depending on your speed and endurance. A great trail but don't expect a bunch of ladders.

fun hike

It’s a challenging trail. Basically, you’re going straight up on stairs for 0.5 miles then climbing on rocks.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Good steady climb to beautiful vistas. Sturdy ladders are.part of the fun.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Very steep incline, but absolutely beautifully maintained and so very cool.

Monday, October 09, 2017

While a great hike, this trail is not dog friendly. There are ladders that need to be navigated that most dogs just can not handle. The summit can be reached via the Kane/Schiff trail

Monday, September 04, 2017

Lots of stairs as advertised but beautiful views. The trail is very well marked and easy to follow. There are a few rungs and a ladder but easy to navigate. It was a lot of uphill hiking but worth the view. We went up the ladder and back down the south side. Less trafficked than a lot of other Acadia trails.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Great hike fun for the kids lots of bouldering and steps...

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

So fun. Did it yesterday with my 2- 11 year olds. Went up the ladder and came down south ridge. Unfortunately fog rolled in so no views. But it was windy and exciting at the top. No crowds, a couple of ladders and rungs, many many stairs.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Fantastic hike. Not as busy as some of the others. Three metal ladders that you need to climb, and a very steep hike up stone steps for most of the trip to the top. Would put this in a "hard" or "moderate to hard" category, but so worth it. Fantastic views from the top. Hiked with kids age 10 and 12, an adventure for them but they enjoyed immensely. Would be tough trail for kids younger than 9.