Dorr Mountain Ladder Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(185)
Acadia National Park

Dorr Mountain Ladder Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Loop

Gravel roadside parking just south of the Tarn (lake) on Route 3 (south of the Sieur de Monts Park Entrance).

loved this!!

I am a little nervous of heights but the views are beautiful. Would do this again!

icy

This is my favorite hike of all time (and I’m terrified of heights). Before the hike, I didn’t see a lot of reviews about it being steep, and maybe my fear is way more than others but there were parts up Dorr Mountain that made me a little weak. Still LOVE this trail, I also went a different route than I found on All Trails (not on purpose but because the hike up was so steep there was no way I was going back down that same way). From the trailhead you walk up about a million stairs, I’m in good shape and I had to take a few breaks, there are 2-3 ladders to climb that weren’t too bad and the views at the top were spectacular. As I mentioned, there was NO CHANCE I was going down the way I came up, way too steep for me. Opted for the backside of the mountain, which is also very steep but more so jumping down large boulders, and it was really fun. At the bottom we took a right down Gorge Trail and it was so beautiful. There are beautifully laid rock step path along a creek. I did this hike the 1st weekend of November so I can’t imagine how beautiful it would have been in the spring. At the end of Gorge Trail we took Hemlock to Jesup which connects to Kane Path at the pond where we took our shoes off and soaked our feet in the ice cold water then finished back to the trailhead. It was a very long strenuous hike, I think it took around 4 hours but we still talk about this hike all the time. It’s great!!

icy

Great trail with some nice views,however we started from the other side: Kurt Diedrich’s trail, with trail shoes, not spikes. We are moderate hikers. Took about 45m to get to the first signposts at a crossing. We followed the Schiff’s path and this is where it got a little bit tricky: water had went over the path and because of the recent temperatures it left some treacherous (albeit fun) ice plates on the trail. Some could be avoided by walking off the trail, others we had to carefully walk over. After another 25m we got to the next crossing. We noticed that the last bit of the Ladder Trail was impassable due to ice! Unless maybe wearing spiked shoes. We were happy we took the other way! We continued but turned back after 10m because we still had a long drive to go and did not want to end up too late at the next destination. I think the snowy and icy conditions will be worse when following to the very top. The trip down, also using the Shiff’s and Kurt’s pass lasted about 25m. Apart from the icy parts, I consider this trail moderate at most.

I enjoyed this trail very much. It is a very good trail for a beginner looking for a challenge but not to Challenging.

Absolutely beautiful! I am not in the best shape but I was still able to complete this! It took 2 and a half hours to do the loop. 3 ladders and lots and lots of stone steps. Totally worth it and will do it again!

Awesome hike. I'm a 60 year old male in good shape and it was challenging but glad I did it. I was already in the clouds when I got to the summit of Dorr so no point going on to Cadillac. Will definitely go back on a clear day.

It's a short but taxing hike up the ladder..

This trail kicked my butt! It is like a stair stepper on the side of a mountain. Beautiful views though make it worth it. There were only about 3 ladders that weren’t too bad. We did it on a day that it misted rain all day and I would not recommend doing that. It was very Slippy in some areas! Overall awesome and strenuous hike but worth it.

Lovely hike on a gorgeous fall day. The ascent is challenging but up up up to the top for wonderful views and a comfortable descent. Stone steps are beautiful and squeezing thru narrow rock crevasses add to the fun. I had my 40 lb dog and my 2 friends were able to lift her up the ladders.. Its doable but tricky. Highly recommend

Dorr isn’t super exciting. If you are taking this trail, go all the way up to Cadillac because that is a gorgeous view. Then take the Cadillac south ridge trail to cannon brook and that should get you close to the parking lot. At least then you’ll have some nice views. Took about 2.5 hours

A tough slog up a giant stone stair case. All the work of the Precipice hike, without any of the excitement!

Interesting bridge work to start adjacent to a picturesque pond. The trail elves worked overtime on a staircase that ascends forever. The iron ladders are not a cause for any concern. I would recommend descending the South Ridge trail which has some fantastic views as another option. I moved at a consistent pace but wasnt rushing and finished in 1:50 min.

Great hike. Stair master on crack all the way up ladder trail lol. Beautiful descent with great views and walk along the lake with plenty of frogs. We made it up in 35 min which was a hard push up and relaxed up top with a nice cool down all the way down the loop. Also, you can bring a dog up the other trails to Dorr mountain that’s not the ladder trail. Definitely wouldn’t recommend going up ladder trail because of the one ladder section for dogs.

This was a great hike to start out my Acadia trip with. It's a good introduction to the ladder hikes (Beehive and Precipice Trails) but is quite a bit less popular. I think there was only one other group out there the morning that we went. While not as intense as the other ladder trails, it still has some challenge and very rewarding views.

Fantastic trail! Tough up the ladder path but then smooths out for great views and easy walk down the shift path to emery to jesup to Kane. Fantastic day!

Super cool trail, lots of rock stairs and some iron ladder pieces and rugs for climbing up particularly steep parts. Went with my parents and we all did fine! Great views, challenging but a really good workout with different terrains.

Great workout. Thus is a good hike for anyone looking for a challenge that has a variety of terrain and terrific views.

Really great trail — exciting and beautiful steep climb up, and the boulder hopping along the Tarn at the end made for a fun and varied change of scenery!

great workout; one of the couple of ladders/rungs is starting to come out of the rock, about a 1/3 of the way from the trailhead

Great hike and even better work out. Would recommend Ladder Trail for the ascent, safer than trying to come down that way. As of 7/21 Kurt’s is closed; sign suggests that it’s only closed Monday thru Thursday. Took Emery path down and was much more manageable than Ladder Trail.

Did this several years ago in the summer season. It was extremely hot and muggy that day but the hike was fun.

This was an extremely challenging hike, lots of steps up giant stones and even a bit of climbing with the help of a ladder and metal rods in the stone. Well worth the sweat and accelerated heart rate. The views at the top are absolutely gorgeous. I would definitely recommend taking the Schiff trail down and walking along the Tarn Pond. When traveling with pets and children be prepared to help them with the climbing.

Stairway to heaven! Second attempt in so many days. Had the stair climbing crew with me and killed it! Awesome views of busy Cadillac to the west and lonely Champlain to the east. Cool descent via Kurt D. where the Quarrymen's trail repair work was underway. The final leg along Tarn Pond was glorious. So thankful for all the fine stonework that makes this park a true wonder of the world. Everyone needs to do this loop. Enjoy!