Cutler Coast Trail

Cutler Coast Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cutler, Maine that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Absolutely beautiful views and experience. I camped over night at one of the Fairy Head campsites via coastal trail. I went in October and didn’t experience any bugs! Definitely a challenging hike for me, a novice hiker. If you plan on camping don’t over pack like I did! Highly recommend this hike. Get there early

Always spectacular! An annual for us!

Walked the inland trail to Fairy Head and did the full loop on Friday August 18th. The leg from the trailhead to the cutoff was still flooded but you can get through. The bog bridges are floating and when you cross them you will sink up to your ankles. OK if you have waterproof boots. One of our party had low hikers so he took them off to cross. Best have stick or hiking pole for balance.

The rest of the trip was absolutely stunning! Great views and the sweet smell of salt air combined with pine boughs. Didn't see any whales this time but we will be back.

Difficult trail is right! Part of the trail was under water "but passable." The water was only up to our ankles.
Gorgeous views!

Did an overnight out and back along the coastal trail to Fairy Head. We skipped the inland trail after many hikers reported it flooded. A couple of things to note: even on a Wednesday night, all backcountry campsites were full when we arrived. We found an established bootleg site but be aware, if you plan on camping you should get as early a start as possible. Also, somehow after a lifetime of hiking and camping, this trip might take the cake for most mosquitoes ever. I would venture to guess that we could do this hike 100 more times and never encounter the abundance of those things that we did on this particular trip. Finally, though the elevation profile is pretty minor, this trip deserves its "hard" designation. The coastal trail undulates constantly so you never get flat breaks, and I found myself feeling way more worn out than I would have expected.

All that being said, this is an absolutely gorgeous hike, reminiscent of the Olympic coast in Washington and the lost coast in California. Highly recommended if the conditions are right.

AMAZING.

Amazing hike.

Monday, March 20, 2017

This trail puts you right up on the coast with numerous overlooks. A bit sketchy in March with the snow and ice but great views all the way.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Surprisingly challenging trail! Especially when you're backpacking. BUT the views are stunning and it's the most beautiful trail on the East Coastline. There are lots of rocks so expect some scrambling, and there's no freshwater, so you have to bring your own. The beaches aren't sandy, so if you're going to go in, wear water shoes. We did the trail during a 3-day backpacking trip, with two different campsites (which are first come first served, and packed every weekend).

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Amazing ocean views, highly recommend. I did the 6 mile loop in 3 hours.

Monday, September 12, 2016

The wife and I have hiked the trail a few times over the years, never fails to impress with the moss covered forest, the temperature change once you get close to the water and just the sheer seclusion and beauty. I don't consider the trail difficult but the length and amount of tripping hazards (roots) do add to the challenge. My favorite hike in Maine that doesn't end up on the peak of a mountain.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

I was able to hike the 1.4 mile hike to the coastal overlook, I believe this trail (or part of it) is sometimes refered to as the bold coast trail. This trail is a part of the larger loop and was a great place to walk. I got there late in the day a was losing sunlight so I jogged alot of the way to the overlook. In hindsight that is probably not a good idea since the trail has alot of moss covered rocks and roots along it. On my way in I did pass a group of 5 seniors walking back from the overlook, they seamed to be making it along the rocky trail just fine. My mind was blown when I reached the coastal cliffs, A short distance out on the ocean there was a wall of fog. I didn't stay long since it was getting dark soon and I didn't know if the fog was moving inland. I made it back out useing a flashlight, The trail was easy to follow with bight blue blaze marks on the trees.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Beautiful trail, moderately challenging. Completed the 10 mile loop in 6 hours.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Put this on your bucket list!
This is by far my most favorite hike in Maine so far. I think this combination of woods and coastal cliff trails really is what Maine is all about.
I hiked this last summer with my dog. We packed lots of water but thankfully there are a few places where fresh water runs into the ocean for a dog to wade and have a drink.
We hiked the loop, turning right to hike south inland then followed the loop north, past the campsites north and up the cliffs of the coast. It took us approximately 10 hours with stops for dogs drinks and lunch. Had the trail to ourselves until the very end when the trail turns left and back to the parking lot.
It seems most people just hike out and back from the parking lot to the cliff/ocean view. Otherwise you'll enjoy a relatively quiet hike with the woods and ocean all to yourself!
I have also heard this trail called the Bold Coast Trail.

Saturday, September 08, 2012

My husband and I made this a 2 day backpacking trip. The campsite we stayed at was unbelievable! We pitched our tent on a grassy area on a cliff overlooking the ocean. You could wake up in the morning and watch the lobster boats picking up their traps. I highly recommend going to the 2nd campsite, the other two are slightly more inland.

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Hiked this a few years ago with my son, luckily ran into another Mom with two boys. LONG hike, very hot in the summer- but beautiful beach to lunch at midway. Take MORE water than you think you need, it is a thirsty one, with great views off some cliffs

Saturday, February 11, 2017