Cutler Coast Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cutler, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 935 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Rugged remote and spectacular. A wild version of Acadia for serious hikers.

Normally a great off-the beaten-track trail. Busier than expected for Memorial Day during a pandemic. A little muddy on inland trails and some could use some work but all passable. Fantastic views once you hike a couple miles to coastal sections. Neat stone beaches. Only five (5) campsites so be prepared.

This trail is my first real trail in Maine and I loved it. It was an overall easy trail with breathtaking views! Got there at 1:30am and hiked in to camp and then waited to watch the sun rise which was amazing!

5/16/2020; Highly recommend! This is a somewhat rugged trail; lots of slippery roots and rocks. Some downed trees and sloppy puddles. Also a lot of up and down, especially on the coastal trail. Breathtaking views of the Maine coastline. The Inland trail was a great walk through the woods with moss cover ground. We got off course following another trail through swampy grounds, but it circled back to the main trail. Plenty of photo opportunities along the way!

The section of this trail that runs along the coast is a bucket list hike. The views of some of Maine’s best rocky sea side cliffs are spectacular and numerous. The inland portion is about what you’d expect on any given forested excursion. There is one section of this part of the trail that has been rerouted that adds 1.4 miles to the overall distance. A section of this reroute takes you directly through a very swampy area for some reason.

Hiked this back in mid-October. The fall colors were beautiful, the ruggedness of the coast was amazing, and best of all, there was NO ONE on the trail with us. We did not encounter one person the entire time. As great as Acadia is, it's near impossible to achieve that sort of isolation. One of our favorites in Maine.

flooded

icy

I really like this trail, hard to find a good one in Maine. When I went it was very very muddy. Be very careful with your footing or you will roll an ankle or submerge it in freezing/muddy water. A part of the trail is closed down and had to take a detour that added around 45 minutes to my hike.

Best parts of Acadia without the garbage and tourists. Camped near the beach and fly fished for stripers, on a clear night the coastal scene is without equal.

Cutler trail was super dope. Defo going back to camp in the spring, the designated campsite are beautiful! It’s like Acadia without the bullshit. (Don’t get me wrong. Still love Acadia.) And the beaches along the trail are awesome. Did the loop in the woods and along the coast. I think it’s around 9 miles. (There was a part in the woods that they had worked on so I think it’s a bit longer than before.) Good for trail running too. Pic don’t do it justice.

We did the Fairyhead Loop starting with the Coastal trail to Fairyhead, then taking the Inland trail back. Beautiful, diverse scenery. Some tough bouldering and scrambles, elevation gains and descents and tree roots combine to make this a much tougher and slower trail than 11 miles might portend. Bring water....there is not any at the trailhead although there is a restroom. Signage, blazes and cairns make it relatively easy to follow with some added overlooks. Loved it despite the fact that it was a tough one for me. Highly recommend. It took us 7 hours with few stops.

This is an amazing trail. I went out there alone with my pack to spend three nights. I might have over packed my pack and I would recommend not doing that. I walked on the inland side of the loop on the way in and it was enjoyable to leads you through several kinds of forests in a short distance. Before you reach the ocean there is a thick, deep mossy patch of woods that is straight out of a fairy tale. Then once you reach the bottom of the loop you come out to the ocean and rocks that make you feel as though you’re standing in a cathedral. Stunning. The trail along the cliffs to the camp sites is easy and the three first-come first-served sites are smallish but well taken care of. Make sure to pack all the water you’ll need because there is really not much water available along the trail (probably somewhat seasonally dependent— I hiked in late September). The rest of the coast trail is moderate— mostly easy with some rock scrambles which can be difficult if alone with an over-filled and heavy pack. 100% worth the sore feet, because this is one of the best trails in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

As a novice hiker, this was my favorite hike to date. Being from CT, this was a bit of a change of pace, and I’m sooo happy about it! Everyone should take on the somewhat challenging walk along Cutler Coast if you’re seeking incredible views of the ocean. We were tight on time for our overnight camping adventure and rolled the dice entering the trailhead with 1.5 hours before sunset. Luckily, we stumbled upon the first campground at Black Point (which we didn’t know existed on our map)...phew!! It was p e r f e c t !!! The morning after our lovely sleep, and the most amazing view of the stars and moon rise, we hiked to Fairy Head and back. GO ON THIS HIKE! And, like others have suggested, wear boots and pack light. We can’t wait to do this hike again.

I'm planning a backpacking trip here for this week. Wondering if there is currently a fresh water source at Fairy Head or Black Point?

This hike is rated as moderate but don’t be fooled, it can be tough in places especially if you’re doing the entire loop. A recent change in the trail adds about 1.4 Miles to your total trip so be prepared and allow for a bit of extra time. The day we hit the trail, the parking lot was completely full. So, we did the inland trail first. I think we missed a lot of the “crowd” by doing so and didn’t see a soul until we hit the coastal trail. While the coast provides beautiful views, the inland trail is beautiful — moss covered walkways, stone staircases, and wildflower meadows. Don’t skip it! We stopped for lunch at Black Cove Point which is a perfect half-way spot and allowed us to connect with some hikers passing by. This hike is worth the trip. 10/10 recommend! Make sure you’re adequately prepared and leave plenty of time - you’ll want to stop and enjoy the view!

A beautiful and very rewarding hike! Hiked the entire loop (with the detour is a little over 10 miles total) in about six hours with a good friend. The six hours included probably about seven stops along the way, one being a lunch break. We both thoroughly enjoyed the hike, despite the foggy, typical downeast weather we had for the majority of the hike. There were a decent amount of little uphill and downhill portions, which was nice in the sense of a constant change in scenery. There were a handful of spots that were muddy and overgrown, but not bad enough to put a damper on our adventure. The foot traffic was minimal, as we only probably saw ten other hikers within the six hour period. Definitely make sure to pack plenty of water, snacks, and bug spray. Parking was easy, convenient, and plentiful. We got sandwiches wrapped up to go in Machias before the hike, to have for lunch, which worked out great. I would absolutely recommend this trail and plan to hike it again soon!