Cutler Coast Trail

Cutler Coast Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cutler, Maine that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Always spectacular! An annual for us!

Walked the inland trail to Fairy Head and did the full loop on Friday August 18th. The leg from the trailhead to the cutoff was still flooded but you can get through. The bog bridges are floating and when you cross them you will sink up to your ankles. OK if you have waterproof boots. One of our party had low hikers so he took them off to cross. Best have stick or hiking pole for balance.

The rest of the trip was absolutely stunning! Great views and the sweet smell of salt air combined with pine boughs. Didn't see any whales this time but we will be back.

Difficult trail is right! Part of the trail was under water "but passable." The water was only up to our ankles.
Gorgeous views!

Did an overnight out and back along the coastal trail to Fairy Head. We skipped the inland trail after many hikers reported it flooded. A couple of things to note: even on a Wednesday night, all backcountry campsites were full when we arrived. We found an established bootleg site but be aware, if you plan on camping you should get as early a start as possible. Also, somehow after a lifetime of hiking and camping, this trip might take the cake for most mosquitoes ever. I would venture to guess that we could do this hike 100 more times and never encounter the abundance of those things that we did on this particular trip. Finally, though the elevation profile is pretty minor, this trip deserves its "hard" designation. The coastal trail undulates constantly so you never get flat breaks, and I found myself feeling way more worn out than I would have expected.

All that being said, this is an absolutely gorgeous hike, reminiscent of the Olympic coast in Washington and the lost coast in California. Highly recommended if the conditions are right.

AMAZING.

Amazing hike.

This trail puts you right up on the coast with numerous overlooks. A bit sketchy in March with the snow and ice but great views all the way.

Surprisingly challenging trail! Especially when you're backpacking. BUT the views are stunning and it's the most beautiful trail on the East Coastline. There are lots of rocks so expect some scrambling, and there's no freshwater, so you have to bring your own. The beaches aren't sandy, so if you're going to go in, wear water shoes. We did the trail during a 3-day backpacking trip, with two different campsites (which are first come first served, and packed every weekend).

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Amazing ocean views, highly recommend. I did the 6 mile loop in 3 hours.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Monday, September 12, 2016

The wife and I have hiked the trail a few times over the years, never fails to impress with the moss covered forest, the temperature change once you get close to the water and just the sheer seclusion and beauty. I don't consider the trail difficult but the length and amount of tripping hazards (roots) do add to the challenge. My favorite hike in Maine that doesn't end up on the peak of a mountain.

Sunday, September 11, 2016