Chimney Pond Trail

Chimney Pond Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Classic glacial bowl with pristine mountain ponds The trail is a gently ascends through hardwood forest eventually offering glimpses of the north basin. Some steeper sections exist but overall the trail is very constant. Due to the number of hikers a good deal of erosion has occurred so you will often have to step from rock to rock. See my other Mt Katahdin hikes.

Great trail to do! My friends and I did it on our way up Katadin, and it was a great spot to stop. When we got there around 8am it was a great misty scene, by the time we returned from the summit the lake was beautiful! It truly opened up. Will have to come back to camp for sure!

June 2017. Excellent hike. Views are breathtaking from Chimney Pond.

Always my favorite. Backpacking up to chimney is amazing.

Great trail from Roaring Brook up to Chimney Pond. Chimney Pond is breathtaking.

Definitely a great way to reach Dudley and then the Knife Edge. Beautiful trek.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Hiked this trail on our honeymoon in 2015. Very cool hike with great views.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Beautiful place, I camped there and climbed Katahdin via Saddle trail. It is my best hike ever

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Nice trail - good way to get to cathedral or saddle trails.
Rocky, but then again the entire mountain is rocky - it is Maine, after all! Love it!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Friday, September 18, 2015

Monday, September 14, 2015

Fun

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Our favorite day hike in Baxter

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

This trail can start at Togue Campground and is listed as 3.3 miles, one way. The trail is rocky and rugged, but is beautiful and scenic. I highly recommend it, but it is moderately strenuous. Pla to camp for 1-2 days at Chimney Pond to enjoy the spur trails and sites.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Baxter State Park is a wonderful place. I've never been to a better run park. The scenery is divine, and the facilities kick butt. I stayed in the bunkhouse and met some passionate and friendly folks. Chimney Pond is a place where I would love to stay all summer, and fall. One day I shall return.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010