Cadillac North Ridge Trail

Cadillac North Ridge Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Amazingly beautiful hike! Was icy but microspikes did the trick!!

Completed this hike on a warm day in late December. There are two options in winter, the trail and the road.

I attempted the trail however the ice made it impossible without crampons. Taking the road is a very nice route although it adds some milage. 5 miles one way and 10 miles round trip taking the road.

Pack an extra layer for the top. Prepare for some wind and exposure. All in all its a very nice and beautiful hike.

Beautiful hike with amazing views! Challenging in some areas, but doable. We took a detour at the end and had lunch at the Jordan Pond House which made for a great end of hike reward!

Up to the summit and back - thoroughly enjoyed! Good, but not overly challenging, hike for a pair of geezers. One week past the 'peak color season,' and the colors and views were amazing. Perfect setup for a couple of drafts and snacks at a brew-pub back in Bar Harbor.

I went up the north ridge and down the south (no roads go near the south trail down, and you can catch a shuttle). Actually went up and down barefoot, and still did it all in under four hours. If you’re in half decent shape it’s a breeze.

On the way up cars pass very close by several times but that didn’t stop a deer from running across the trail! It’s really crowded on top, and as you get nearer there are lots of people who walked on from the road. It’s a bit lame, but not enough to take away from the hike and views.

I highly recommend going down the south side rather than doubling back. The scenery changes, I passed less than 5 people (and about 20+on north ridge), and it goes straight into one of the campgrounds.

Beautiful hike! was a little rough in places, but had a lot of beautiful stops to rest my legs in the way up. followed the blue markings and a beautiful stream. had to be careful because of the leaves and rocks were a tad slippery. amazing view at the end, very much worth the hike. ended up watching the sunset later on. amazing views!

Did this trail in the evening when it was extremely foggy, I'm sure there would have been great views if it wasn't for the fog. A great trail otherwise, wild blueberry bushes are everywhere. You are following blue arrows painted on the rock

Great hike with amazing views and lots of elevation changes

This was a beautiful trail with so many awesome views at each level. Perfect for fall leaf peeping and photography. Not a difficult hike. The only disappointment was the road was next to the trail at points which took away from the nature. This is a”must do’ hike.

A wonderful hike. Mainly over rocks. We did it together with my family incl. a 20 months old in a carrier. Stopped many times. Made it up in 2 hours and down in about 1.5 hours. The gift shop up top sold hot chocolates, which we loved as it was cold and windy on this October day.

Started our hike at 5.15am and got to the top by 6.30am to watch the sunrise. It doesn’t get light out till after 6am so make sure to bring a headlamp. The hike was exciting! All uphill and made it more adventurous in the dark. Not challenging but definitely long and can be tiring at some points. The view is absolutely amazing and sunrise is not to be missed.

From the summit going to Dorr mountain summit is rewarding. (then going down from Dorr mountain north ridge trail, Hemlock trail, and Gorge path)

Great hike with beautiful views! Wouldn’t recommend going up / down in rainy conditions without proper shoes.

We didn't do the whole trail, but the views were lovely.

So beautiful! Finished the sunrise hike this morning! We left the trailhead at 3am. It took us 1 hr 15 minutes to ascend. We are relatively in shape but not technical hikers. Follow the little blue marks and the cairns! Only twice did we almost veer off course in the dark. Have a good flashlight. We each had either a headlamp or flood-flashlight. It doesn’t start getting light until almost 5:30am. Happy hiking!

Beautiful hike. A little slick on loose gravel spots so have good shoes! Challenging for sure!

this is a hike almost exclusively uphill, so make sure you have the fortitude for it.
I hiked it after a rainstorm the day before, so there were slick spots and the path was a creek for a 1/3rd of the way.
However, it was a very rewarding hike and the experience of climbing up is far and above driving up.

My husband and I loved this hike. Beautiful views all along the trail. It was somewhat challenging towards the top but we took our time and stopped for pictures. It took us about 2 hours to get up and the descent took us a little over 1 1/2 hours. Wear hiking shoes and I used hiking poles.

Safe, long, spectacular views

This is a lovely granite trail, with a few great little climbs. I loved the trail just didn’t love that others could drive to the top. It’s a very touristy peak but lovely little jaunt with my family.

Rather than coming back down the same path - suggest coming via Gorge path which was beautiful!

Pretty straightforward hike to the top of Cadillac but we did it last Thanksgiving weekend we’re temps were in the low teens and boy was it cold out there. Caught a few flurries up top but definitely feel like we earned it as opposed to those who drove up to the top!

This is definitely more than 4 miles if you’re coming from the Blackwoods campground. Beautiful views on top...If you have a slightly overweight elderly dog-it might be a challenge. Our 8 year old Golden Retriever barely made it down. Overall-Amazing!

Trail was very safe for a sunrise hike. Started approximately 2 hours before sunrise time and took our time getting up. A moderately difficult, but looong hike. Parking is convenient and right by the trail head.

This was the first leg of my third hike with my daughter and SIL and it definitely tested my endurance. We ascended to the Cadillac Summit and took the Gorge trail as the descent. I locked into the design pattern early on as it would present incline and then level ground which I thought was manageable. But the more we got into the trail, I thought the inclines became longer and steeper and the level ground seemed to disappear. My trusty staff was literally a God send as some thoughtful hiker left it at the beginning of the trail. Made it to the Summit which was a beautiful view and worth the sweat and grind up hill. The Cadillac Mtn North Ridge was no joke!!

Offers great scenic view of Acadia and the ocean. More or less no shade whatsoever. Involves some scrambling, but manageable (but trekking poles are helpful). Very nice trail, all in all.

Loved this trail and the views! Definitely lots of scrambling so be prepared. We only made it a little more than half way due to a large thunderstorm that popped up. We still had a beautiful view of the water and islands though!

Very nice hike with some scrabbling. Bring water and good shoes. Trail can be slippery with fog. Nice views.

Beautiful views! Beautiful sunlight. So many cars when arrived on top....

Felt like I was hiking back down forever. Great views though.