Cadillac North Ridge Trail

Cadillac North Ridge Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Started our hike at 5.15am and got to the top by 6.30am to watch the sunrise. It doesn’t get light out till after 6am so make sure to bring a headlamp. The hike was exciting! All uphill and made it more adventurous in the dark. Not challenging but definitely long and can be tiring at some points. The view is absolutely amazing and sunrise is not to be missed.

From the summit going to Dorr mountain summit is rewarding. (then going down from Dorr mountain north ridge trail, Hemlock trail, and Gorge path)

Great hike with beautiful views! Wouldn’t recommend going up / down in rainy conditions without proper shoes.

We didn't do the whole trail, but the views were lovely.

So beautiful! Finished the sunrise hike this morning! We left the trailhead at 3am. It took us 1 hr 15 minutes to ascend. We are relatively in shape but not technical hikers. Follow the little blue marks and the cairns! Only twice did we almost veer off course in the dark. Have a good flashlight. We each had either a headlamp or flood-flashlight. It doesn’t start getting light until almost 5:30am. Happy hiking!

Beautiful hike. A little slick on loose gravel spots so have good shoes! Challenging for sure!

this is a hike almost exclusively uphill, so make sure you have the fortitude for it.
I hiked it after a rainstorm the day before, so there were slick spots and the path was a creek for a 1/3rd of the way.
However, it was a very rewarding hike and the experience of climbing up is far and above driving up.

My husband and I loved this hike. Beautiful views all along the trail. It was somewhat challenging towards the top but we took our time and stopped for pictures. It took us about 2 hours to get up and the descent took us a little over 1 1/2 hours. Wear hiking shoes and I used hiking poles.

Safe, long, spectacular views

This is a lovely granite trail, with a few great little climbs. I loved the trail just didn’t love that others could drive to the top. It’s a very touristy peak but lovely little jaunt with my family.

Rather than coming back down the same path - suggest coming via Gorge path which was beautiful!

Pretty straightforward hike to the top of Cadillac but we did it last Thanksgiving weekend we’re temps were in the low teens and boy was it cold out there. Caught a few flurries up top but definitely feel like we earned it as opposed to those who drove up to the top!

This is definitely more than 4 miles if you’re coming from the Blackwoods campground. Beautiful views on top...If you have a slightly overweight elderly dog-it might be a challenge. Our 8 year old Golden Retriever barely made it down. Overall-Amazing!

Trail was very safe for a sunrise hike. Started approximately 2 hours before sunrise time and took our time getting up. A moderately difficult, but looong hike. Parking is convenient and right by the trail head.

This was the first leg of my third hike with my daughter and SIL and it definitely tested my endurance. We ascended to the Cadillac Summit and took the Gorge trail as the descent. I locked into the design pattern early on as it would present incline and then level ground which I thought was manageable. But the more we got into the trail, I thought the inclines became longer and steeper and the level ground seemed to disappear. My trusty staff was literally a God send as some thoughtful hiker left it at the beginning of the trail. Made it to the Summit which was a beautiful view and worth the sweat and grind up hill. The Cadillac Mtn North Ridge was no joke!!

Offers great scenic view of Acadia and the ocean. More or less no shade whatsoever. Involves some scrambling, but manageable (but trekking poles are helpful). Very nice trail, all in all.

Loved this trail and the views! Definitely lots of scrambling so be prepared. We only made it a little more than half way due to a large thunderstorm that popped up. We still had a beautiful view of the water and islands though!

Very nice hike with some scrabbling. Bring water and good shoes. Trail can be slippery with fog. Nice views.

Beautiful views! Beautiful sunlight. So many cars when arrived on top....

Felt like I was hiking back down forever. Great views though.

GreTa trail. surprisingly not to busy. The views!!!

Really nice trail with amazing views along the ridge going towards the summit. Only downside was its proximity to the cars driving on the summit road... you could hear them much of the way up and at points the trail runs near the road. Did this as a sunrise hike because we got up too late to hike the south ridge. However, the views were still great, and we sat to watch the sunrise along the ridge to avoid the massive crowds on the summit.

Chose this route from the summit of Cadillac mountain, after taking the Gorge path to the top. Nice route that somewhat follows the summit road. We had parked near the Gorge path entrance from the park loop road, which was about 1/2 mile walk back to our vehicle on exiting this trail.

Went up in early August. Good, fairly intense hike with well-marked trails. The day before was foggy so we decided to wait a day and it was a great decision. We’re all in pretty good shape (aging from 15 to 50) and it took an hour and fifteen minutes going up with stops for water breaks and pictures.

As others noted, the views along the ridge are spectacular. Nothing complicated or advanced here, so the moderate rating is spot on. The trail does require stamina to make it up, but there are plenty of good rest stops along the way if you need them. The top of the mountain has no shade, so planning a early start would avoid the summer heat. It will also give you a chance at a parking spot near the trail head. This trail is a easy descent and makes a nice loop with the gorge trail.

I would rate this trail moderate-hard. The climb is quite steep on many sections on the way up, but totally worth it! Amazing views from every direction! The temperature dropped considerably at the top.

Again, I’m not a “hiker” but I really enjoyed hiking with my 20 year old daughter on this trail. We’ll, I did better than I thought since I am completely out of shape and overweight.. The trail is very rocky and just a little slippery in places. Its quite steep for a novice but so enjoyable. The views are nothing short of stunning. I had to rest a couple of times but “speedy” the daughter almost ran up the mountain. One thing that was interesting to me was that several times I thought I was at the summit, but was wrong. Oh well!

This was the inaugural hike for my daughter and I, and it was amazing. Great bonding experience, to be sure, as neither of us had attempted such a climb before, and we weren't totally sure what the 'Moderate' rating would mean for us. This is a totally manageable hike if you're in decent condition. There are a few steeper, hardscrabble areas, but as other reviewers mention, there are many flat areas to rest, and each rewarded us with a more amazing view than the last. A hiking pole is useful, though not a necessity. While the view from the top is nice, it IS a mass of humanity as most simply drive up. Climb from the bottom;, and bring your camera; you'll be rewarded!

Great trail..my 7 and 13 year old made it to the top and back. Very rocky and steep in sections. Took about 4 hours with wife and 2 children. Small parking area at trailhead. Gets busy as day goes on..

Great hike. Would like to see trailb a bit further away from the road because of the sound. But spectacular view makes this a Five Star hike for the average hiker.