Cadillac Mountain West Face Trail

Cadillac Mountain West Face Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm

Would do this again *in the summer.* A steep and technical descent down the mountain. We encountered a lot of overt and black ice sheets on open rock faces. Definitely an intense experience and were grateful for our microspikes. Make sure to leave time for fast sinking sun. Views were great and it was the most direct trail down from Cadillac.

Picked West Face Trail down from Cadillac (3 hrs) after hiking up on north ridge trail (3 hrs.). This was thought to be a shorter trail, mod difficulty and w/ bus stop at trail end. Wife and I sixty somethings active walkers but not prepared for difficulty of West decent. Tremendous feeling of accomplishment and exhaustion after this decent haha. In addition to the usual precautions and those mentioned by the other contributors, start this hike with minimum 3 hrs daylight or good luck searching for blue markers in the dark. West light fades fast behind nearby mtn!

Everything they say about this trail is true. Accidentally hiked down this trail from the Cadillac Summit. Totally worth the trek. the views were amazing but not something you'd want to do without appropriate footwear and adequate water. Much easier going up than down.

We only took this trail down after taking South Ridge up. This is definitely a steep trail and not one for beginners. But, wear sturdy shoes and mind your steps. The views of Bubble Pong and Eagle Lake are amazing. I wouldn't want to go up this in a heavy wet fog, watch the weather.

Stunning views but definitely a bit more intense than we expected. We only hiked down this trail but we had our six month old puppy and 9 year old. We took our time and made it down but I'd do this one without pups and kids if I had known. Definitely not for beginners as there are some areas where the wrong step could be fatal.

We hiked down this trail after going up the North Ridge Trail. It is a very challenging descent, basically a 1 mile vertical rock scramble! Fun, but don't tackle it unless you are experienced and in good shape.

Intense. Definitely wasn't what we anticipated. I'm glad it was a dry day because I don't think we would have made it safely otherwise. Some of the rocks are very slick even when dry due to moss and lose pine needles. Not a trail I would recommend taking a dog on unless they are experienced. We had to carry our 6 month old puppy a few times. Beautiful views of the pond below.

This trail was very challenging. We started on the descent after reaching the top of Cadillac Mountain from the north ridge. It had been raining the day before, and much of the trail is comprised of steep rock faces that were wet and slippery. My husband's hiking boots are a bit older and the tread on them was not doing its job, so we turned back at about halfway. With the proper equipment and conditions, I'd love to go back and try this trail again!

Wow. This was an incredibly hard trail. I really thought I was going to have a hard fall on the more treacherous parts, perhaps even fatal. Beware because the very steep granite was very damp when we went, like mid-late April, due to the snow melt. It is HARD. There are a lot of parts where you have to keep moving due to the steepness of the area- you will start slipping if not. It may only be 3.3 miles but it seriously feels like so much more due to the steepness. There was also plenty of scrambling, which I was certainly not prepared for. we encountered a snake and a fox on this trail in the middle of the day, so beware of possible critters! I also highly recommend not descending this trail as I couldn't even imagine how much more difficult it would be- perhaps have someone waiting for you at the summit in a car. One last thing- be careful to really watch out to stay on trail as the trail markers are easy to miss. Be very careful on this trail!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

We started at top of Cadillac Mountain and descended almost all the way to Bubble Pond, but turned around before we reached the very bottom because my dog was with us and that last stretch is not dog friendly. Challenging on the knees on the descent. The ascent is much easier. Beautiful views and a technically interesting trail. Really a fun one.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Hiked the descent only down from Cadillac to Bubble Pond. Took just under two hours. Was not expecting this level of difficulty, partly because of wet granite at times. Definitely a challenging hike but one of the best I have ever done. Absolutely beautiful views!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Pretty difficult trail. We drove all the way to the summit of Cadillac mountain and descended down this trail to bubble pond. Very steep and difficult terrain. The descent was much more difficult than the ascent. Rough on the knees and lots of climbing down rocks. I would recommend this for only experienced hikers. Very steep rocks that require you to slide down them. Definitely not recommended for when it's foggy or even the slightest bit rainy.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Did this trail on a warm and dry summer day (80 degrees). Only went up the mountain. It is quiet steep and challenging in the beginning and in places our dog needed a boost. Some scrambling required. Needed to take several water and rest breaks on the way. Would not do this trail unless its absolutely dry, one slip and you slide or fall 30+ feet onto jagged rocks.