New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Brownfield, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,391 feet Route Type: Loop

The Blue trail starts at the very right most point of the grassy parking area directly off the road. The trail head sign is just inside the tree line - about 100 ft from the road. The Blue Trail named "North Peak Trail" will split and you have a choice of the "Blue Trail" or the "Yellow Trail (Twin Brooks Trail)". The Blue Trail is the most direct to the summit and most agressive climbing through woods trails and up rock faces. The Yellow Trail is longer and more gradual assecent to the top. Going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail will give you an easier decent. The Blue Trail can take about 3 hours round trip while going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail can take about 4 hours. The Yellow Trail has a nice spring and brooks along the trail.

Blue up, Yellow down. Wore spikes. Blue pretty well packed, some ice at rock scrambles. Would suggest snow shoes for yellow. Both trails well marked.

private property

Great little hike, even at 5am in the winter. Some icy and rocky areas make for a bit of scrambling but overall pretty easy. I took blue up and yellow down! Trails have been remarked with ribbon.

I liked this trail and thought it was really fun up at the summit. I have gone up twice. It's not an easy hike when you get up near the top and you need to be in good shape. I saw more people here with harnessed dogs than I ever did anywhere in my life. This brings up a safety concern where I passed one girl on the trail who was being jerked around her dog. Not only was the dog jerking her around but she was letting him get away with it! Finally, he knocked her over backward just about right in front of me and she almost hit the back of her head on a rock in the trail. I didn't like the idea that I might have to help carry her down the mountain. To anyone with a dog on a leash or harness, the dog should not be jerking you around and especially on a mountain trail where this could be dangerous! This is not only a threat to your safety but also ruins everything for people passing by who might be afraid for you. I'm glad to see all these dogs as long as they're controlled by their owners.

icy
private property

great loop trail. blue up ' yellow down. yellow is not as confusing as most people state.

Great trail. Hiked this am . Up blue with some rock scrambles and down yellow. Icy on top- (31 degrees), yellow trail is not well marked

Great views. Went up blue and down yellow. Yellow is really poorly marked. Did a lot of circles. But fun quick easy trail

Up and back on the blue blazes trail, beautiful this time of year with the leaves and fall color. Might not be as breathtaking in other seasons. Also might not be as slippery on the way down :)

beautiful day hiked up the blue trail. Returned on the yellow which was a bit of a challenge to follow. Faded paint the color of the leaves, not enough of them. Some tied on plastic ribbons helped but frequently we had to stop and search out the trail. It was beautiful in the woods

North Peak/blue trail up was steady climb with short steep scramble to summit. Best views were from ledges on the way up. Had trouble finding Twin Brooks/yellow trail down. No trail sign at top. Trail was fine until it veered away from the brook heading to the left. With logging slash , markings were not easy to find. I and two other people (we weren’t hiking together) went back and forth, up and down. I finally put the sun at my back and carefully scanned forest floor,. Others had lost the trail and made efforts in wrong direction. I found it andI got to the Twin Brooks/North Peak sign soon after. I was relieved to get on the well-used trail. I had done this trail seven years ago before logging and enjoyed it. I’ve been hiking for decades but have only had one other similar experience. The yellow markings need to be upgraded on lower half.

This is a nice 3.4 mile loop that can get your heart pumping! My friend and I decided to go up the blue trail. The trail was decently markerd. It had a good mix of steep inclines and flatter sections to catch your breath. Coming down on the yellow trail had us going off the trail or getting turned around because of the poor trail markers. About half way down the trail markers started changing color, with none improving trail clarity. The trail was gradual hike down the mountain. None the less, there were great views along the trail and at the summit. This is a nice 2-3 hour hike only an hour from Portland!

Beautiful views! Recommend going up blue and down the yellow trail. The yellow blazes were a bit hard to follow as leaves are covering the trail but not impossible!

Beautiful foliage and many friendly hikers enjoying the trail

Too many dogs. It was mostly nervous dog owners with their unsocialized dogs. Then there were the bros with their pitbulls off leash. Save this hike for winter week days and you might get to enjoy it.

private property

This is pretty trail. Great workout on the way up. It’s a little steep but not too difficult. I took the long trail down and the first half was majestic however it got a little boring during the last mile. Marked fine if you pay attention.

I found this to be a moderate to difficult hike. Not well marked. I would suggest bringing blue and yellow and remarking trail. There is a scramble at the end and a beautiful view at the top. Blueberry’s to pick at the top during the summer. I would use caution bring dogs it may be to much for some dogs.