Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brownfield, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Blue trail starts at the very right most point of the grassy parking area directly off the road. The trail head sign is just inside the tree line - about 100 ft from the road. The Blue Trail named "North Peak Trail" will split and you have a choice of the "Blue Trail" or the "Yellow Trail (Twin Brooks Trail)". The Blue Trail is the most direct to the summit and most agressive climbing through woods trails and up rock faces. The Yellow Trail is longer and more gradual assecent to the top. Going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail will give you an easier decent. The Blue Trail can take about 3 hours round trip while going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail can take about 4 hours. The Yellow Trail has a nice spring and brooks along the trail.

Great hike, but go prepared! There's a steep rocky scramble at the end. You'll need good shoes and to be hands free. Definitely go up the blue trail and down the yellow unless you're a climber.

This was both of my Son's first mountain hike. We had a blast!

We took the blue/North Peak trail up. It was a great hike- lots of opportunity for beautiful views! You don't have to wait until the summit for a payoff. We took the yellow down to complete the loop. It was a more mellow trail than the blue but we enjoyed the variation in ecosystems. There has been logging done on the bottom part of the trail (as mentioned in other reviews) before it meets back up with the blue trail. We didn't have any trouble finding the yellow marks but you do have to look a little in the logging areas.

Fun hike with some views!

We hiked this trail (Blue/North Peak, up and back) with 4 children aged 9 and up, making it to the first peak in about 2 hours. It was a bit more challenging than we expected (as just getting back in shape 50-somethings), with some steep and rocky climbing. (It probably was more challenging for us older folks than the younger, to be honest.) I can see why younger kids might be quite challenged, though our 9 yr old loved the challenge and didn't complain one bit about it. We all made it, though, and really enjoyed it! The views were great and the view from the top was well worth it. The wild blueberries near the top were a nice break and a little antioxidant boost just when we were getting weary. We brought 2 bottles of water and granola bar apiece on this warm (80s) day, but wish we had brought 3 bottles per person.
Based on the timing (mid- to late-afternoon) we chose not to go to the second peak, but could have after a rest.

It's rated as moderate but for an old fat guy like me it was closer to difficult. Definitely a challenge! The blue trail going up was pretty steep at the beginning and end, but the view from the summit was worth it. Taking the yellow trail down ended up with missing a blaze where the logged area started, and I just followed the logging trail to 160. From there it was less than 1/2 mile to the trailhead. So if you take the yellow trail down, be on the lookout.

I enjoyed this hike. Nice view from the top plus blueberries. I was here yesterday and I took the blue trail up and the yellow trail down. There were some areas on the way down that were not marked all that well so keep sight of the path and look for worn out yellow markings. Also, I was glad to read the reviews prior to taking this trail. There was likely more clearcutting since the last review posted and once I came to this area it was wide open and I didn't see any markings for a trail (may have just missed it). So I followed the logging path down and to the right until I picked up the logging road. From there I reached Route 160 and took a left towards the trailhead parking. It was about a 0.5 mile to the parking lot.

Really liked this hike. A bit of a challenge if you go up the blue trail which was fun. However, as many stated the yellow trail through where the loggers cleared out so many trees made it very hard to know where to go even with the yellow markers. I personally felt a little panic set in when I wasn't sure if the yellow markers were to mark trees to be cut down and had I taken a wrong turn. I thought I was lost for a while and that was a scary feeling. I wish I had seen the other reviews before deciding to go that way. Otherwise good hiking experience.

Decent hike with some cool scrambles near the summit. Also tons of blueberries around the summit and on the way up. So if youre into that then would be a good hike. Some key advice is: DO NOT TAKE THE YELLOW TRAIL. You will regret it. The loggers really had their way with this trail. There's a lot of open areas from logging that are missing blazes. You will likely get lost if you are not using some sort of GPS on the yellow trail

Nice quick hike, bit rocky at the summit but not bad. There's blueberries too, and the story behind the mountain name is interesting too.

it's a good hike with great views, some fun rock climbing towards the end. The trail markers aren't that big of a deal if you pay attention.

Great hike, some parts could be hard for an out of shape person. Yellow trail markers were fine, almost didn't take because of other comments

I hiked here in spring when everything is still brown and not yet green so it wasn't all that great. The views were okay.

Great trail. Steep elevation.