Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brownfield, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Blue trail starts at the very right most point of the grassy parking area directly off the road. The trail head sign is just inside the tree line - about 100 ft from the road. The Blue Trail named "North Peak Trail" will split and you have a choice of the "Blue Trail" or the "Yellow Trail (Twin Brooks Trail)". The Blue Trail is the most direct to the summit and most agressive climbing through woods trails and up rock faces. The Yellow Trail is longer and more gradual assecent to the top. Going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail will give you an easier decent. The Blue Trail can take about 3 hours round trip while going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail can take about 4 hours. The Yellow Trail has a nice spring and brooks along the trail.

Close to perfection: steep, challenging climb from SR 160. Fabulous views in almost every direction from the bald North Peak. Trunk trail to Stone Mt. and it’s great southern views soft and little-used. You’re not going to see many people in this quiet part of western Maine.

Hard trail, but the views are worth it. Well marked and easy to find!

loved this hike, really pushed us to our limits. The top is worth it!!! I would go again.

Loved the hike!

So many rocks. If you’re wondering whether or not to take a detour up Stone Mountain, the answer is yes.

This is my absolute favorite hike of all time. It is a steep climb at the top, but the view is so worth it. Even if you don't make it to the end, there are gorgeous views the whole way up.

Always start my season here. Gorgeous day on Sunday 6/10. Headed out on trail around 2pm, got up just before 3, had lunch, took some pics and read my book - almost bug free at summit!! About 40 mins down, both ways I took the blue trail. Love this spot, and although a full parking lot only ran into 3 other sets of hikers along the way! Steep in some spots, if you use poles you may need to pack em up for a few more “rock climby” areas ! Have easily done this trail with kids, novice hikers and dogs. Awesome always.

Great trail! We went up the blue trail and down the yellow since we had a baby and a dog with us. It was definitely a good workout! We will probably do it again sometime.

awesome trail and views!!! will definitely do it again...took 4 hours!! great hike!

This was a fun trail! Pretty steep and rocky at times with some scrambling closer to the summit but it is not overly challenging! There were several neat views along the way. I like the “first summit” view. I took the blue trail up and down. Just take it slow because it is easy to lose the trail, at one point I was off the trail but easily got back on it when I saw some hikers.

North Peak Trail was a great hike in and out hike, I didn’t take try the yellow trail. North Peak was steep at times but very enjoyable, great views at the top. Quicker trip than planned.

The North peak trail is great! It’s a well marked, steep trail that quickly takes you to the top with amazing views! The Twin brook trail is a longer gradual trail that isn’t well marked in many areas and if you’re not paying attention you can easily get turned around. There has been selective harvesting of a great number of trees on this trail that makes in not as fun or as beautiful as the North Peak Trail. The trail is like a roller coaster you go up and down a great number of times with a few twists and turns. I recommend going up and down the North Peak Trail instead of going up North Peak and down Twin Brook trail.

Quick start on the Blue trail. Great views. Markers for the Yellow trail a little spotty on the way down. Take your time and it’ll be fine.

This was a great trail with great views along the way. The incline starts at the trailhead and doesn’t have any notable flat surfaces so be prepared to climb up the whole way. There is a small section of climbing up the ledge to the top. The views were awesome and well worth it. I took the Yellow trail down. To find it go straight across the top from where you came up on the blue trail. To the left there is a rock pile and you will want to go left of that. The yellow markers don’t appear till your about .3 of a mile down so just keep following it and they will appear. The yellow trail is very steep in spots and you will be going down large sections of rock. You really need to pay attention to the markers as it’s very easy to get turned around thru the clear cutting and the markers can be sporadic at times. I hope this helps!

Was a nice hike! I would say moderate is correct, rock scramble may be a little challenging for some but do-able! Went up the Blue and down the Yellow, yellow trail is marked very poorly so give yourself time to walk down. Have to stop at each yellow marker and find the next at a few points on the way down making it very confusing due to the logging that was done...

Love this hike the view and the blueberries where amazing. The logging they have done on the yellow trail make it difficult to navigate bit for the most part you stop at a blaze and you can see the next one just takes a little extra time.

Took Rt. 302 to just south of Bridgton and then Rt. 117 to Rt. 160. Was a mistake and took longer that it should have if we had taken Rt. 25 out of Portland to Rt. 113 to Rt. 160, as suggest in the 50 Hikes In Coastal and Southern Maine book at p. 39. Also passed the trial head and went well beyond it because there is no “Fire Road 145” despite what the book says. It is Fire Road 45.

Was a quicker hike than book let on, but was hard too, as the elevation in the beginning and near the summit was tough. We started hiking at 1:21 p.m. after we parked, and we reached the summit at 2:10 p.m. for a total of about 49 minutes. We ate lunch at the top and took some photos and headed back down at about 2:33 p.m., reaching the car at 3:13 p.m. for a total of about 40 minutes. Was tough hike, though, because of the quick ascent and descent. Steady elevation climb soon into the trail and then downright steep near the summit. Coming down was a lot of loose rock. Views up top were spectacular and far, so it was worth it.

I took the Blue Trail up and the yellow Trail down. Poplar hike today, saw several happy dogs along the trail. Scenic summit, with nice Autumn colored leaves on display down below. Asked about 8 people where the yellow trail started at he summit, but everyone seemed to be wondering the same thing. Just so you are aware it's the furtherest trail on the left. Look for a yellow marker a bit down the trail.

First time hiking Burnt Meadow, yday 10/15/2017 it was more challenging than we expected. The steep rock scramble made it intersting with 2 dogs. We made it to the top and the views were beautiful! Now that we know what to expect, the next hike up will be more enjoyable. And there will be a next hike! Happy Hiking..

Loved the hike! Unfortunately, lost my ray-bans. If anyone one comes across them, please contact my husband Jordan at jordanrmilne@gmail.com. Thank in advance!

I think this hike is on the aggressive side of moderate. Went up blue. Came down yellow. Dogs enjoyed it. Was difficult finding the yellow trail from the summit. I am an out of shape beginner

Did this hike earlier in the year and had trouble staying on the trail descending via twin brooks.
Did it again today (Labor Day) and I realized it's not that bad. As soon as you reach the top of the clear cut, just look to your left, and follow the yellow blazes. Looks like they've repainted some of them.
Still not a very attractive section of the trail, but I wouldn't avoid it just because of the logging that's been done.
I was able to do the whole thing this time without using my hands, which was somewhat satisfying.

Quite steep and challenging but it was great. Wish we had brought our lunch instead of just a snack because it took us much longer than we thought it would. We took the trail down that meanders through some recently logged woods which was well marked and quite enjoyable as well.

Fun! Loved this hike, blue trail ((North Peak) fairly rated "moderate." A little steep at the start and again at the top (just enough to make it a fun challenge, not treacherous). Took one hour up. Beautiful summit, not panoramic, but scoot on over for views on each side. We took Twin Brook Trail down (the yellow trail). As of August 21, 2017, this was clearly marked. This is longer (1.5 hours), it's twisty with several ups and downs. Easy to find trail head with parking lot off route 160. Enjoy!

Great hike, but go prepared! There's a steep rocky scramble at the end. You'll need good shoes and to be hands free. Definitely go up the blue trail and down the yellow unless you're a climber.

This was both of my Son's first mountain hike. We had a blast!

We took the blue/North Peak trail up. It was a great hike- lots of opportunity for beautiful views! You don't have to wait until the summit for a payoff. We took the yellow down to complete the loop. It was a more mellow trail than the blue but we enjoyed the variation in ecosystems. There has been logging done on the bottom part of the trail (as mentioned in other reviews) before it meets back up with the blue trail. We didn't have any trouble finding the yellow marks but you do have to look a little in the logging areas.

Fun hike with some views!

We hiked this trail (Blue/North Peak, up and back) with 4 children aged 9 and up, making it to the first peak in about 2 hours. It was a bit more challenging than we expected (as just getting back in shape 50-somethings), with some steep and rocky climbing. (It probably was more challenging for us older folks than the younger, to be honest.) I can see why younger kids might be quite challenged, though our 9 yr old loved the challenge and didn't complain one bit about it. We all made it, though, and really enjoyed it! The views were great and the view from the top was well worth it. The wild blueberries near the top were a nice break and a little antioxidant boost just when we were getting weary. We brought 2 bottles of water and granola bar apiece on this warm (80s) day, but wish we had brought 3 bottles per person.
Based on the timing (mid- to late-afternoon) we chose not to go to the second peak, but could have after a rest.

It's rated as moderate but for an old fat guy like me it was closer to difficult. Definitely a challenge! The blue trail going up was pretty steep at the beginning and end, but the view from the summit was worth it. Taking the yellow trail down ended up with missing a blaze where the logged area started, and I just followed the logging trail to 160. From there it was less than 1/2 mile to the trailhead. So if you take the yellow trail down, be on the lookout.