Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail

Burnt Meadow Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brownfield, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Blue trail starts at the very right most point of the grassy parking area directly off the road. The trail head sign is just inside the tree line - about 100 ft from the road. The Blue Trail named "North Peak Trail" will split and you have a choice of the "Blue Trail" or the "Yellow Trail (Twin Brooks Trail)". The Blue Trail is the most direct to the summit and most agressive climbing through woods trails and up rock faces. The Yellow Trail is longer and more gradual assecent to the top. Going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail will give you an easier decent. The Blue Trail can take about 3 hours round trip while going up the Blue Trail and down the Yellow Trail can take about 4 hours. The Yellow Trail has a nice spring and brooks along the trail.

Love this hike the view and the blueberries where amazing. The logging they have done on the yellow trail make it difficult to navigate bit for the most part you stop at a blaze and you can see the next one just takes a little extra time.

Took Rt. 302 to just south of Bridgton and then Rt. 117 to Rt. 160. Was a mistake and took longer that it should have if we had taken Rt. 25 out of Portland to Rt. 113 to Rt. 160, as suggest in the 50 Hikes In Coastal and Southern Maine book at p. 39. Also passed the trial head and went well beyond it because there is no “Fire Road 145” despite what the book says. It is Fire Road 45.

Was a quicker hike than book let on, but was hard too, as the elevation in the beginning and near the summit was tough. We started hiking at 1:21 p.m. after we parked, and we reached the summit at 2:10 p.m. for a total of about 49 minutes. We ate lunch at the top and took some photos and headed back down at about 2:33 p.m., reaching the car at 3:13 p.m. for a total of about 40 minutes. Was tough hike, though, because of the quick ascent and descent. Steady elevation climb soon into the trail and then downright steep near the summit. Coming down was a lot of loose rock. Views up top were spectacular and far, so it was worth it.

I took the Blue Trail up and the yellow Trail down. Poplar hike today, saw several happy dogs along the trail. Scenic summit, with nice Autumn colored leaves on display down below. Asked about 8 people where the yellow trail started at he summit, but everyone seemed to be wondering the same thing. Just so you are aware it's the furtherest trail on the left. Look for a yellow marker a bit down the trail.

First time hiking Burnt Meadow, yday 10/15/2017 it was more challenging than we expected. The steep rock scramble made it intersting with 2 dogs. We made it to the top and the views were beautiful! Now that we know what to expect, the next hike up will be more enjoyable. And there will be a next hike! Happy Hiking..

Loved the hike! Unfortunately, lost my ray-bans. If anyone one comes across them, please contact my husband Jordan at jordanrmilne@gmail.com. Thank in advance!

I think this hike is on the aggressive side of moderate. Went up blue. Came down yellow. Dogs enjoyed it. Was difficult finding the yellow trail from the summit. I am an out of shape beginner

Did this hike earlier in the year and had trouble staying on the trail descending via twin brooks.
Did it again today (Labor Day) and I realized it's not that bad. As soon as you reach the top of the clear cut, just look to your left, and follow the yellow blazes. Looks like they've repainted some of them.
Still not a very attractive section of the trail, but I wouldn't avoid it just because of the logging that's been done.
I was able to do the whole thing this time without using my hands, which was somewhat satisfying.

Quite steep and challenging but it was great. Wish we had brought our lunch instead of just a snack because it took us much longer than we thought it would. We took the trail down that meanders through some recently logged woods which was well marked and quite enjoyable as well.

Fun! Loved this hike, blue trail ((North Peak) fairly rated "moderate." A little steep at the start and again at the top (just enough to make it a fun challenge, not treacherous). Took one hour up. Beautiful summit, not panoramic, but scoot on over for views on each side. We took Twin Brook Trail down (the yellow trail). As of August 21, 2017, this was clearly marked. This is longer (1.5 hours), it's twisty with several ups and downs. Easy to find trail head with parking lot off route 160. Enjoy!

Great hike, but go prepared! There's a steep rocky scramble at the end. You'll need good shoes and to be hands free. Definitely go up the blue trail and down the yellow unless you're a climber.

This was both of my Son's first mountain hike. We had a blast!

We took the blue/North Peak trail up. It was a great hike- lots of opportunity for beautiful views! You don't have to wait until the summit for a payoff. We took the yellow down to complete the loop. It was a more mellow trail than the blue but we enjoyed the variation in ecosystems. There has been logging done on the bottom part of the trail (as mentioned in other reviews) before it meets back up with the blue trail. We didn't have any trouble finding the yellow marks but you do have to look a little in the logging areas.

Fun hike with some views!

We hiked this trail (Blue/North Peak, up and back) with 4 children aged 9 and up, making it to the first peak in about 2 hours. It was a bit more challenging than we expected (as just getting back in shape 50-somethings), with some steep and rocky climbing. (It probably was more challenging for us older folks than the younger, to be honest.) I can see why younger kids might be quite challenged, though our 9 yr old loved the challenge and didn't complain one bit about it. We all made it, though, and really enjoyed it! The views were great and the view from the top was well worth it. The wild blueberries near the top were a nice break and a little antioxidant boost just when we were getting weary. We brought 2 bottles of water and granola bar apiece on this warm (80s) day, but wish we had brought 3 bottles per person.
Based on the timing (mid- to late-afternoon) we chose not to go to the second peak, but could have after a rest.

It's rated as moderate but for an old fat guy like me it was closer to difficult. Definitely a challenge! The blue trail going up was pretty steep at the beginning and end, but the view from the summit was worth it. Taking the yellow trail down ended up with missing a blaze where the logged area started, and I just followed the logging trail to 160. From there it was less than 1/2 mile to the trailhead. So if you take the yellow trail down, be on the lookout.

I enjoyed this hike. Nice view from the top plus blueberries. I was here yesterday and I took the blue trail up and the yellow trail down. There were some areas on the way down that were not marked all that well so keep sight of the path and look for worn out yellow markings. Also, I was glad to read the reviews prior to taking this trail. There was likely more clearcutting since the last review posted and once I came to this area it was wide open and I didn't see any markings for a trail (may have just missed it). So I followed the logging path down and to the right until I picked up the logging road. From there I reached Route 160 and took a left towards the trailhead parking. It was about a 0.5 mile to the parking lot.

Really liked this hike. A bit of a challenge if you go up the blue trail which was fun. However, as many stated the yellow trail through where the loggers cleared out so many trees made it very hard to know where to go even with the yellow markers. I personally felt a little panic set in when I wasn't sure if the yellow markers were to mark trees to be cut down and had I taken a wrong turn. I thought I was lost for a while and that was a scary feeling. I wish I had seen the other reviews before deciding to go that way. Otherwise good hiking experience.

Decent hike with some cool scrambles near the summit. Also tons of blueberries around the summit and on the way up. So if youre into that then would be a good hike. Some key advice is: DO NOT TAKE THE YELLOW TRAIL. You will regret it. The loggers really had their way with this trail. There's a lot of open areas from logging that are missing blazes. You will likely get lost if you are not using some sort of GPS on the yellow trail

Nice quick hike, bit rocky at the summit but not bad. There's blueberries too, and the story behind the mountain name is interesting too.

it's a good hike with great views, some fun rock climbing towards the end. The trail markers aren't that big of a deal if you pay attention.