Bubbles Divide via Jordans Pond Path

Bubbles Divide via Jordans Pond Path is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 951 feet Route Type: Loop

I hiked up the back of the Bubble, after completing the Western side of Jordan Pond Loop. I don’t think I would recommend this, as the way down the South Bubble was extremely steep, but the views were stunning.

Wow!! Amazing view from the top. Lots of scrambling hiking to top from the pond. Truly spectacular hike with bunch of friends. Great time.

We attempted to get to the bubble by ascending Bubble Trail on 9/1 with our dog but the last 50 meters or so of the trail were a rock scramble that was inaccessible for our dog, even with a harness handle, so we had to bail out and head back down. We bumped into a few other hikers with dogs at the top who also had to bail out; no one seemed aware that while the majority of the trail was dog friendly, summiting the bubble with a dog would require a rock climbing harness and rope to hoist the dog up. With this caveat, bubble trail is a fast and fun moderate rock scramble that I will definitely do again. Once back at the base of bubble trail we opted to finish the loop around the lake instead of doubling back, and found the other side much more interesting from a terrain perspective - some easy rock scrambling and a bog walk added character to what was essentially a walk. Will attempt the bubble again without the dog!

We came down Bubbles Divide to see Jordan Pond after seeing Bubble Rock. It is VERY steep and rocky. I think this would difficult for small children. Going back up was tricky for my 12 year old niece - a few bumps and bruises. Proper footwear is a must!

Great hike! Went ahead and did the north bubble as it wasn’t much more out of the way. Totally worth it. We also decided to start with the eastern side of the loop going up rather then the way it suggest to do it. Worked out for us as climbing the eastern side seemed to be more challenging. Got it out of the way. Overall a wonderful hike with incredible views.

Great hike. The ascent/decent on the SW side of the divide I would definitely consider moderate with some rock and boulder scrambling but the rest is easy.