Borestone Mountain Trail

Borestone Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Guilford, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September.

Very well maintained trail. An enjoyable 3 or 4 hour hike. The first half is a wooded trail with a moderate incline. The top has some somewhat challenging climbing above the tree line. Absolutely fabulous views on top. This loop sends you back on the road rather than the trail. If you want a more challenging hike, this trail can be done as an out and back.

This is a great hike! There are areas a little tougher than others and I would not take small children past the visitor center.

Did this hike again on Sunday, 6/3, and it was well worth it as it is my first hike and I will be back in the fall.

My only question is in Maine the elevation is 1800 ft to the west ridge and 1900 ft at the east ridge so not sure of the elevation but well worth putting on your list.

Wife and I had a great hike. Mostly moderate with some slightly challenging areas. I wouldn't recommend for young children.

Absolutely amazing views. Slightly moderate incline but doable children may have a hard time going up the rock climb. A bit windy at the top but it is absolutely beautiful up there!!! The views say it all.

This is easily one of my favorite mountains! It has insanely gorgeous views and starts right off going uphill. I would warn that there definitely is more difficult once you get closer to the summit so just be prepared for that! You have to do some rock climbing but the view is worth it! And don't forget to bring some cash to help maintain the trail and bathrooms (which were the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen on a trail!)

Great hill to burn up the winter blues on snow shoes.... did it several times this past winter.

This was a beautiful trail with two ways to the base of the mountain. It has a sweet spot by a pond with picnic tables for lunch. You can walk across the top of the mountain for more great views. This was an awesome hike.

Great views! Great foliage in the Fall!

Great hike not too far from Monson. Starts easy on a gravel road with plenty of switchbacks. There are cutoffs if you don't want to do the switchbacks. Once you get past the ponds, the trail gets steeper. Fun scrambles near the false summit. Moderate to heavy traffic. Amazing views at the top.

Definitely difficult if your as out of shape as I am. The kids did much better. The views from the top were well worth the trek.

great hike but more challenging then I expected. incredible view from the top. Took about 3 hours to complete. Several stairs at the foot of the mountain which eventuallt turnwd into rock climbing. My 10 and 12 year old daughter's joined and we're pretty exhausted afterwards.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Very nice trail with beautiful scenery. I hiked this trail the day after I climbed Katahdin and still was blown away by the view. I definitely recommend taking the Base Trail to the visitor center from the parking lot rather than the access road. It is a fun trail and probably even a little bit quicker.

Friday, June 02, 2017

The beginning and end was quite steep but the view at the top was absolutely worth it. It took us about 3 hours to complete. On the way back from the visitors center we took the road instead of the trail, much easier on the legs. I would highly recommended this hike!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

A beautiful and rewarding hike with a spectacular double peak payoff. I liked the place enough to make the summit the setting of my proposal to my fiancée this past October!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The view at the top is well worth the hike!. Check out the first peak... then head to the next. Weather was perfect and there were no mosquitoes.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

This has always been a favorite of my. short hike with breathtaking views at the top!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This is not a loop....an ascent to the pond where you can take a path or the gravel road then a hike with some scrambling at the top third to the first summit. The second summit takes another 15-20 min. Incredible views
We have hiked this multiple times over the past 50 years....even at 3:30 am when we were kids to see the sunrise ( what were we thinking)
Worth it

Monday, June 27, 2016

The trail overall wasn't difficult, but it's definitely not a loop. So scrambling back down the rocks is the worst part. The view at the top is absolutely worth it!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

The trail is NOT a loop according to the Audubon trail map and our experience after being there today. The Summit Trail is quite short but the ascent is steep. There are boulders and rocks to scramble at the top. The views are 360 degrees and spectacular. It has as nice a reward as any trail we have done. Oh, and don't forget fly spray - the mosquitos were fierce! There is a charge per person and a senior discount.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Awesome views from the summit! Nice day hike.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Great views

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

This mountain is pretty much in my backyard. I hiked it for the first time in 6th grade as a field trip and have hiked it several times since. The most recent was two years ago. My girlfriend and I took my 9 year old up and we loved it. Plenty of birds to see as it is a bird sanctuary.

Friday, October 03, 2014

A very easy trail for mostly anyone. You could bring your kids (we saw a group hike in with an infant). Great views from the West and East Peak of Lake Onawa and surrounding mountains. Great way to see birds, chipmunks and a perfect hike in the fall to see the leaves changing. There is a visitor center where they expect you to pay a nominal (cash) fee and sign in and out. There is a nature trail and an access road to get there. From that point, the hike gets steep, but not extremely difficult (will climb over some boulders, there are metal handholds, but you can just as easily go up another spot on the rock to avoid using them). Bring water!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A great hike with the family. It was a wonderful sunny day with a light breeze. Borestone Mountain Audubon Sanctuary is a beautiful area and the trails and facilities are well maintained. The trail does get pretty steep near the peak so keep that in mind if heights are a problem. The view at the top is well worth it. Also for those with young children there are bathrooms just inside the gate near the parking area and also at the Nature Center which is at the base of the summit trail. I highly recommend this hike!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hiked with family, or tried to but they were so slow I hiked most of it way ahead of them. Great hike

Sunday, August 11, 2013

This trail is not for the faint and definitely not for those afraid of heights. The trail is quite steep and requires the use of your hands to scale certain areas. There were families with small children all along the trail, however, so perhaps I am just a scardey-cat :) Today, 8/10/13 was absolutely a perfect day to hike this trail. Sunny, no humidity, and very breezy. It was spectacular!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

This is a nice solo hike. I saw a bird with a yellow patch on its back picking pine berries, surprised some pheasants, and saw two wild turkeys with blue heads. You go up the base trail or walk up the road and then it's about 50 minutes to the top. There is a 360-degree map at the summit that has drawings of mountains all around the horizon. I also checked out the new trail around the place where a previous owner had raised foxes for pelts. Spooky.