Bar Island Trail

Bar Island Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, Maine that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 170 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Directions from Bar Harbor, ME: Begin on Bridge Street just off West Street. Note: Be sure to check the Town Pier tide schedule at the ocean point on West Street.

The tide makes this trail unique. Beautiful views of Bar Harbor at the Island end of the trail.

A nice brisk walk in the early morning! We took this hike just to be able to say we did it! Great way to start the day!

Unique walk across sand bar. Not much of a view on top of mountain. Best place is to sit on log and watch boats and cruise ships and Bar Harbor lights. Easy walk across then all uphill to top of mountain.

Definitely unique because of the land bridge! You have to wait until low tide in order to cross. But the actual hike through the island was so/so and there wasn’t too much of a view. Really great trail overall to take our yellow lab and allow her to run off leash.

Make sure you check the tide times!!! Almost started this and the tide has almost covered the whole path.

This was one of my top 2 favorite things, on the island. During the 1.5 hours before & after low tide (check the schedule!), a sand bar appears, allowing you to both access bar island on foot, and to experience a sliver of life in the harbor. Birds, snails, barnacles, crabs, starfish, kelp, shells, etc., all stay behind in tide pools! I saw my first starfish here, and then some (they were everywhere so watch your feet), and had a blast spending an hour looking at the unique shells and exploring the cool life I found. I definitely recommend it for anybody looking for a short, fun, educational walk! Defiantly much better than the wonderland trail we did, where we only saw two crabs and a ton of snails.

Super easy walk and fun to see the tides changing. Best view is on a small path below the summit with little tree coverage.

Nice and simple with some good views. Not much to it.

Easy trail... neat for something different. Cool views of bar harbor from the island!

This was a fun distraction in the middle of our vacation. We enjoyed this “trail” but it’s really more of a short walk through the woods. We never did find a view but the walk up was fun. The land bridge is interesting and we had a great time exploring it at low tide. Lots of people though.

Fun to cross at low tide. Island trail not that interesting.

make sure you check the tide before venturing out

No great views but a short easy “hike”

Fun and easy. Got caught by tide and ran across water. Was v fun

Great view of Bar Harbor from the top of the trail. The rocky/roots section is short but the correct way to the top. Enjoyed

This is a very crowded trail but that’s to be expected on a trail that cuts right through the ocean at high tide. We arrived about an hour before the predicted high tide and strolled across as the tide dropped. After arriving on Bar Island, a few of us hiked the rest of the trail up to the summit which was beautiful and well worth it on a sunny day!

Simple, fun, busy, but glad it exists. Great trail for the normies in Bar Harbor. Perhaps a gateway drug to something better.

crowded!

Eh, just ok. Kids had fun finding crabs, otherwise not worth it.

Pretty cool, easy walk - not really a hike. Great for family.

Went during low tide and found a lot of starfish, crabs and sand dollars and the kids found a lot of sea glass as well. Short walk but the kids could have spent all day there

Most of the fun of this trail is in the fact that you’re crossing a sand bar. As such, remember to check the tide schedules to give yourself plenty of time. The sand bar itself is a fun place to check out seashells and some sea life. I found lots of hermit crabs and a tiny little white crab. The island itself has a fun view back to Bar Harbor at the top, but nothing spectacular compared to other views you’ll find in the park. I got a little lost at one point as the trail isn’t the best marked and I ended going around the whole island instead of up to the viewpoint, but I stumbled across some interesting stone ruins (a stone wall and a stone fireplace) in the process and circled back to where I needed to be.

Thought this would be a really cool hike to do during low tide, but it was underwhelming... I loved the idea of walking on the path "through the ocean" but compared to the other hikes it was just alright. The view onto the island was crowded and it was very foggy when we went. I thought we'd see more sea life in the tide pools across too, but I was disappointed. However, it was of course still beautiful just like the rest of the park!

Easy walk across the bar to Bar Island. The hike up and down we’re easy when you get to the top there is a view of Bar Harbor Village. Nice

good short trail about 15 minute hike. access is 2 hours before and after low tide.

Great little hike to take the kids on. when crossing the sand bar the kids can check out lots of tide pools before reaching the island and starting the climb to the top. Again very easy with kids. Cool view of Bar Harbor at the top and then easy going back down. Make sure to plan this hike around low tide. You can pass across the sand bar 1.5 hours before low tide to 1.5 hours after low tide. After that, you're either waiting until the next low tide, swimming across, or calling for a water taxi to come get you at your expense (not cheap from what I hear). Good little relaxing hike.

This is an easy hike after crossing from the mainland. You can cross to Bar Island 1.5 hours before and after low tide. If you stay on the island too long, you will be stranded until the next low tide or until you call a water taxi. There is a nice view of Bar Harbor from the summit but it’s nothing spectacular.