Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Baldpate Mountain via Appalachian Trail

Baldpate Mountain via Appalachian Trail is a 16.6 mile out and back trail located near Newry, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

For a recreational day hiker like me, this was a hard hike. I highly recommend hiking poles. The section from the lean-to to the top of West Baldpate is extremely steep as well as very slippery. I don't know if this part of the trail is always wet, but the water running over the granite slabs made it hard going. To get to East Baldpate, the trail goes down several hundred feet before going back up. I didn't know if the trail was as wet on that side so I decided to go back. It was not fun returning back to the lean-to. On my way back I took the blue spur trail to Table Rock which had a nice view. I ended up hiking 7.28 miles with 2844 feet of ascending.

Our group of 4 hiked this on June 12, 2018.
We did just the hike to East Baldpate and came back and took Table Rock down, for about 7.4-8 miles.
This is a strenuous hike, but it was fabulous! Be ready for rough trails, stairs, boulders, roots, etc. it is the Maine AT, after all! We needed more water, so I was glad I had my Sawyer filter to use.
Take your time and you’ll do well on this challenging hike. The view up at the top of East Baldpate is amazing! One of the best I’ve seen. We ate our lunch at the lean-to/shelter. There’s a privy there, too.
Enjoy this hike - not easy, but great!

Nice hike. Several streams early on for pups to cool off. Steady grade up then maybe 1 mile of level grounds ( we saw a moose) then up you go. Lots of steps. West Baldpate summit no view. Several yards past summit sign is where the views are. Nicely marked. Did not make it to East Baldpate as pup was to tired.

Nice hike through forested path. Lots of stairs following the AT. Did not do the Table Rock loop. Some trees down but work was being done clearing. No view from summit Bald Pate. Did not go to East Peak time did not allow. Would do this hike again as views from top are great. Easy trip down. Some steep sections. Dog did great.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Hiked it on August 26, 1995, and rook 3 hours up and 3 down, at a slow pace with lots of breaks. Tent clearing at top of West Peak. Steep climbing at times, especially on East Peak.

Hiked again on February 27, 2000, with cramp-ons. Drove up 26 North of Sunday River entrance. Parking Lot on left and marked “Hiking Trails’ with a round brown and yellow wooden sign. Trail to Baldpate starts across the street. Followed white blazes. 2.9 miles from parking lot to top of West Peak of Baldpate. Was easy hike with mild incline and fair amount of down hill until the last mile or less, where it got very steep to the summit. Too foggy and cold to justify going to the East Peak, which was another 0.9 miles from West Peak. Started hike at 10:45 a.m. and ended at 3:30 p.m.

Monday, September 04, 2017