Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rangeley, Maine that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike is amazing if you can do it. Most of the trail is roots and dirt, though towards the top there are some boulders to climb over. I say they are easier to climb up than to navigate down. When you reach the top, don't expect it to be "bald" it's very wooded, but when you climb the fire tower, man that was amazing. You could even see mount Washington.

This trail starts out pretty easy and is well marked and well worn but it gets rather gnarly towards the end, tricky roots, slick granite boulders, mid when it's wet but you are rewarded with a fire tower view at the end! I don't know how it is most of the time but I was surprised to see so many people on this trail.

The Bald Mountain Trail is one you will not want to miss. It's a short hike, 1.3 miles out and 1.3 miles back, that is only steep (though very steep) as you summit the mountain. The views at the top of the fire tower are some of the best I have ever seen. I did this on July 4th, so the trail was crowded, but there are 2 parking areas, one off Bald Mountain Road (just past Oquossoc) and one off Route 4. The elevation and temperatures in the 60s kept the bugs to a minimum. My very agile dog accompanied me and found a spot to drink, but it had rained a significant amount the days prior, and so the trail was extremely muddy. Normally I'd say bring some water if you bring the pooch. You may also want to plan for the fire tower, as most of the other dogs there were too afraid to climb it. i will do this hike again.

This was a really neat trail, mostly walking with minimal vertical challenge. It was rather muddy when we went but we stayed within sight of the blue markers and had no troubles at all. The fire tower was really cool and a very stable structure. Picnic tables at the clearing of the top of the trail, perfect to take in the view and refuel before heading back down. Great little morning hike!

Very nice quick hike with decent views, like how close it is to rangeley.

Great hike!! The views are amazing. The climb at the top is rocky and a bit step in places. Well worth the climb.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Friday, July 08, 2016

I hiked it today with my Cockapoo. She really enjoyed it. The climb was harder than I expected but it was fun and the view from the tower at the top of Bald Mountain looking down on the mountains and lakes was great.

Monday, June 20, 2016

this hike is definitely moderate to above-average there are a lot of steep areas to climb up rock climbing rock faces other than that the hike is fairly easy except for towards the end, but the view is well worth it in the end

Monday, December 21, 2015

Tougher than the easy hike we had expected! Though we went in snowy / icy conditions... The final third seems to follow a brook which was completely frozen so we had to scramble much of it. Views from the top of the fire tower are beautiful.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Great. Not as easy as you think great little workout