Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rangeley, Maine that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great day for a hike. Overcast skies, no wind. Trail is well marked with blue blazes. However they really aren’t required as the trail is well trodden. Lots of roots throughout the trail! (Welcome to hiking in New England). Beautiful views from atop the fire tower. The tower is open access. No need to climb over gates! The description on AllTrails states the distance is 2.3 miles from the Bald Mtn parking lot it’s only 1.3 miles.

It had lightly rained and drizzled for most of the day, but it stopped by mid-afternoon. I knew I was in for soggy conditions but I went for it. Started at 4:58pm and I was to the fire tower by 5:50pm. Lots of stone and root hopping in the first 2/3...I found driving the arch of my hiking boots into the roots with each step was easier than picking solid ground to tip toe around at times. The last bit as very rocky and can be steep in areas. It was especially challenging with wet/slippery conditions, but I didn't mind. It actually made me pay more attention to each step. You must climb the tower for the full view, but little summit trails lead to some great outlooks. The rainy day clouds were starting to break just as I hit the top. After my usual summit-beer, I headed back down to find other great outlooks along the way. I was paying so much attention to each step on my way up that I never looked back to see the views behind me. Glad I caught them on my way down. Not a difficult hike, but even as short as it is, there are steep climbs on tough terrain that some folks might find challenging. I was back to my car by 7:20pm...and it's before Memorial Day, so everything in town is closed by 7...

Great hike, 360 view of the Rangeley Lakes Region at the top from the old fire tower. Trail maintained fairly well so you can avoid muddy areas. Top 1/3 of the hike is the steepest, a lot of granite surface, would be a bit slick if wet.

Great views from the tower on the peak.

Harder climb because of patches of ice and snow near the already challenging top. Fire tower climb at the end was amazing!

I hiked this trail with my family and it was fantastic! I would highly recommend it for anyone who is in the area.

The view is always great once at the top, summer or winter! You have two different access to this trail. You can rather start in the parking lot of the Hayes Landing in Oquossoc (will be in a left inside on Rd 4, before you reach Bald Mountain Rd), or you can start right at the bottom of the mountain, on Bald Mountain Rd (will be on a left inside on Bald Mountain Rd, a little bit after you pass Bald Mountain Camps). I regularly hike this trail and kinda prefer the first access. The beginning of the trail is therefore mostly flat and it gives you a chance to warm up before you start going up!

Beautiful panoramic views at the top! The trail is a modest incline most of the way. The snow was well-packed and easy to walk on. Once the incline steepens, there is a lot of ice that makes the trail more challenging (I assume this would normally be boulder-ridden, but this time of year you can’t see them). Micro spikes or poles would be worth it over these sections as snow melts daily from the sun and refreezes. In the winter, the trail parking lot is not cleared. You can park on the road safely (it is not heavily trafficked). The trail is short, but plan time to climb the fire tower and enjoy the views. There is a picnic table at the top to sit and refuel. There are also several stream crossings early on for water.

The climb is always worth it.. beautiful views once we reached the top. Definitely didn't wear the right shoes for snow/ice. Not a hard hike per say but very slippery in areas. Fun to see all the tracks in the snow on the way up. Wish we would've started the trail earlier to enjoy the view up top longer. Incredible. A few in our group didn't make it all the way due to the slick conditions (child in a backpack child carrier... better safe than sorry). Definitely want to come back in the summer/fall!

It was pretty slick after a lot of rain but the view at the top was definitely worth it!

Challenging

Nice hike. Awesome views at top!!

Great hike. Awesome views from a great sturdy tower.

This hike is amazing if you can do it. Most of the trail is roots and dirt, though towards the top there are some boulders to climb over. I say they are easier to climb up than to navigate down. When you reach the top, don't expect it to be "bald" it's very wooded, but when you climb the fire tower, man that was amazing. You could even see mount Washington.

This trail starts out pretty easy and is well marked and well worn but it gets rather gnarly towards the end, tricky roots, slick granite boulders, mid when it's wet but you are rewarded with a fire tower view at the end! I don't know how it is most of the time but I was surprised to see so many people on this trail.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

The Bald Mountain Trail is one you will not want to miss. It's a short hike, 1.3 miles out and 1.3 miles back, that is only steep (though very steep) as you summit the mountain. The views at the top of the fire tower are some of the best I have ever seen. I did this on July 4th, so the trail was crowded, but there are 2 parking areas, one off Bald Mountain Road (just past Oquossoc) and one off Route 4. The elevation and temperatures in the 60s kept the bugs to a minimum. My very agile dog accompanied me and found a spot to drink, but it had rained a significant amount the days prior, and so the trail was extremely muddy. Normally I'd say bring some water if you bring the pooch. You may also want to plan for the fire tower, as most of the other dogs there were too afraid to climb it. i will do this hike again.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

This was a really neat trail, mostly walking with minimal vertical challenge. It was rather muddy when we went but we stayed within sight of the blue markers and had no troubles at all. The fire tower was really cool and a very stable structure. Picnic tables at the clearing of the top of the trail, perfect to take in the view and refuel before heading back down. Great little morning hike!

Monday, September 26, 2016

Very nice quick hike with decent views, like how close it is to rangeley.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Great hike!! The views are amazing. The climb at the top is rocky and a bit step in places. Well worth the climb.

Friday, July 08, 2016

I hiked it today with my Cockapoo. She really enjoyed it. The climb was harder than I expected but it was fun and the view from the tower at the top of Bald Mountain looking down on the mountains and lakes was great.

Monday, June 20, 2016

this hike is definitely moderate to above-average there are a lot of steep areas to climb up rock climbing rock faces other than that the hike is fairly easy except for towards the end, but the view is well worth it in the end

Monday, December 21, 2015

Tougher than the easy hike we had expected! Though we went in snowy / icy conditions... The final third seems to follow a brook which was completely frozen so we had to scramble much of it. Views from the top of the fire tower are beautiful.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Great. Not as easy as you think great little workout

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Wet/muddy, but fun! Dog loved it! The fire tower at the top lets you go above the tree line for some AMAZING views!!!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

One of the best "quickie" hikes in all of New England. Spectacular views of Rangely Lake, Mooselookmeguntic Lake and the Androscoggin River Basin and the AT ridge from Crawford Notch to Saddleback Mt. Despite what others may claim, round trip from the parking lot at Bald Mountain Road just east of Cupsuptic is 3.6 miles. It may be shorter from the new trailhead on Route 4, but old timers don't use that trailhead. There is no reliable water source. Privy at the trailhead.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Great trail! Gorgeous views on a clear summer days! I disagree with the either commenter. Coming from the route 4 trail head it is 3.6 round trip.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Nice trail with moderate rocky climb last third of trail. Great views from firetower on top of Rangeley Lake and Mooselookmuguntoc Lake. Good for families. Trail is 2.6 miles round trip, not 3.6 miles.