Aziscohos North Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(22)
Andover, Maine

Aziscohos North Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Andover, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A very pleasant moderate hike. This has beautiful view of Richardson Lake and various landmarks. You can see Azizcohos from the Height of Land on Route 17, just look west.

Trail was somewhat unappealing to me. Last 3/4 mile was technical and should not be rated “moderate”. View was beautiful at top. Just not a favorite.

Great hike. We finally found the trail head after our second attempt! Parts of the initial trail were muddy but manageable. Trail is well worn and clearly marked, once you actually find it! The trail sign is posted shortly after you enter the woods. It was cloudy the day that we hiked this, but still had nice views. I would classify this hike as moderate, steeper sections the last half mile or so. I would like to clarify directions to find the trail head. The trail is 17.3 miles from the turn onto Route 16 in Oquossic. Not 18 miles as noted in a previous review. The short path to the trail will be on the left-hand side of the road. There was some orange surveyors tape on trees marking either side of the entrance. There is a dirt road just beyond the entrance, don’t drive up that. I did that the first time and totally missed the trail head. If you miss these landmarks, and reach the dam. Turn around and go .9 miles back towards Oquossic. The trail/dirt road marker will be on your right. I’m glad we persevered and tried again, great hike.

Great hike if you’re ready for it! My 67 year old mom (with bad knees) barely made it - but was happy she did, as the view from the top is awe inspiring. The last .5 mile is very strenuous - not suitable for very small kids or anyone with poor balance. Take your hiking poles, plenty of water, and layers for the top (it can get windy).

One of my favorite hikes. ♡♡♡ Worth the drive everytime. But I think it's a little harder than they have it here. attempted this trail in the spring. had to turn around from all the snow and ice. went back in june to finish. amazing views from the top. we brought kids ranging from 1 to 10 and they did great.

Mon Oct 15 2018

This is not an easy hike. I would say it’s moderately hard! The trail head was difficult to find, but after reading some of the reviews, we found it. The third itself was relatively hard for myself but not so much for others in my group. Trail was leaf covered and wet. There are lots of tree roots and rocks that were covered by the wet leaves, watch your step and take your time. The incline is pretty steep as you get up there. Overall the hike was great, especially the views! Well worth the climb!! I would definitely recommend they change the rating to hard to help others using this app.

Fri Aug 24 2018

Great trail. I would say it’s easier than Saddleback, but it has beautiful views and offers a wonderful canopy hike under the deciduous and then evergreens up top. There’s the stands of an old fire tower up there too!

Thu Aug 09 2018

Right off of Route 16, 18 miles from Oquossoc, this trail is less traveled but worth the trek. It is not as steep as West Kennebago but more challenging than Bald Mountain. We took our four year old dog and enjoyed the narrow but clearly marked trail. Although there were a few areas that were wet, it is in good condition. We have climbed this mountain about five previous times and it continues to be a great trip. Truly a moderate climb due to the ascent and the many roots so best for climbers who are in decent shape with some experience. The summit at the top is small but provides an expansive view of the Rangeley lakes region.

Sun May 27 2018

As mentioned before, the trail head is not that obvious. The surveyor tape is long gone and it took us to go the dam to realize we went to far. The trail head is exactly 18mi from the turn on route 16 from Oquossoc, and 0.9mi from the Dam. You will see a wide opening on the left side of the road (if you come from Oquossoc) where you can park your car. DO NOT go up that dirt road to start the trail! The trail head is on the same side of the parking spot, 30ft away going towards Oquossoc, going right into the woods. And within 1min of walk you should see the name of the trail on a sign, as well as the first red blazing. The hike is gradually more and more difficult, but it is worth it. Nothing impossible, just going through rocks and roots. The view is spectacular and even on a partly cloudy day you can see Mt Washington.

Mon Aug 01 2016

With thunderstorms close by and sets of heavy rain rolling through our group of 7 paced and took it slow with these conditions. Was well worth it after hitting the summit and taking in the views. Cant wait to climb it in dry conditions.

Sat Aug 02 2014

Great hike - well blazed trail once you find the trailhead, I was a little concerned about that as I had read there were some clearcut areas and logging roads that we would cross and was afraid we would get onto the wrong path. Trail is very steep more so than the imp face trail and there is some hand over hand required occasionally. The summit is very rewarding with excellent views of many lakes, and mountains. Apparently you can see into Canada, and Vermont from the summit, wish I had brought some topo maps to identify some of the features.

Sat Mar 16 2019