Acadia Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Great trail for intermediate/advanced hikers. Not suitable for young kids as there are parts of the descent that require longer arms and legs to reach the footholds. The ascent is quick but steep with lots of nicely kept stone steps. Descent was longer but had the breathtaking views around every corner. Check out the waterfall overlook at the end of the Acadia trail. Man-o-war trail on the way back was a dirt road. Whole loop took us (21, F) just under two hours. Would definitely recommend as a warm up to grasp whether someone would be comfortable with some of the harder, more well known loops like beehive or precipice.

Incredible. There are some steep sections of stone steps but I wouldn’t say this hike is too difficult. Took us about an hour to summit and half an hour down, though I don’t think we did the whole loop. Even on a rainy day, the views from the top are unmatched in the park.

Compared to the other trails in the area, I would rate this as moderate, not hard. We did it as an up and back, took about an hour. The views were stellar. Rocks were slick from the rain.

Brought my 80 pound lab mix and he did great. A few spots going down that I had to carry him off the rocks to keep going.

Moderate- Hard trail, we did the trail counter clockwise as recommended. I would rather climb up the tough spots then go down, which works out going counter clockwise.
Great views on the way up and at the top.
Dog friendly, you may have to lend a boost here and there.
Plan on 2.5 hours.

Our first All Trails hike and review. This was challenging for this family of five, but no regrets. I would not recommend for anyone who is in very bad shape or with heart or severe back issues. We took 2.5 hours but I’m sure fitness hikers could do it in half that time. We parked on Route 102 and parked along the road near the small Echo Lake lot (toilet shack right there!). Trailhead lot is on east side of road. Beautiful views of Somes Sound. Even though you might be loathe to climb down to the waterside, take the well marked down and back trail just after the Man O War creek. We missed the MOW waterfall into the water, so research this so you don’t follow suit. The fire road trail back to the road was dull, but welcomingly easy.

It was tough at the beginning. I didn’t like the stairs but I did love the trail.

amazing hike; very fun with the rock scrambling. Not super challenging, but not easy either. Hiking back down the rocks was fantastic

Lovely trail! Nice view points and beautiful scenery. Trail was moderate

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Loved it wish I would of had time to stop and enjoy the views more

Thursday, September 28, 2017

A fun loop trail with decent views. Good for kids. Ours are 5 and 7 and had no problem doing this hike.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Moderately difficult. Recommend you hike it CW so as to view Somes Sound when going downhill. The fire road was a yawner.
Note - The Valley Cove Trail is currently closed.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Did this trail a few years back, nice vistas and a good moderate hike. Challenging but not as crazy as the iron rung trails.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Great hike, but not really "easy". You did have to watch your step as there was some scrambling to get your footing. It was beautiful though.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Everything in Acadia is beautiful but I wasn't really blown away by any means. Still a nice hike.

Friday, June 23, 2017

This was a fun, short hike but it should not be labeled "Easy." There is a lot of scrambling on the back side. It's not strenuous, but it is challenging. If you aren't into scrambling, I would not recommend this. And I don't know how you would get a dog down the backside.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Agree that this might be more moderate but amazing, easy short hike. Definitely recommend

Friday, November 25, 2016

Nice, short end-of-day hike. Views are great from the top. Would probably rate this more as moderate, just because of the steps. But good family hike.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Great loop hike with nice views. Good for all skill levels and easy to follow.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Very well maintained trail. Excellent trail markers. Great views. Dog friendly- we brought our German Shepherd and it was a great hike for all of us.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Amazing!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

As an avid hiker and lover of Acadia hikes (rock scrambles) I really enjoyed this hike though I would suggest anyone who is not good at Rock scrambles do this trail as an "out and back" from the west side (parking lot) the east slope has some _difficult_ down climbs for the inexperienced. Doing a loop counter clock wise would be better as it's easier to get up the hard spots then it is down. I very much enjoy this kind of "climbing" but others who are timid may not. We also brought our 85# male greyhound with us and though we managed it, he didn't enjoy it, (He is a strong 4-5 mile hiker). Dogs that do this part of the trail should be agile and strong. Going down some of the rock ledges can be quite technical for them.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

As new to Maine and not used to any trail with "Mountain" in the title I was a little hesitant. But this trail was recommended by a coworker and was very nice. I would recommend it to anyone!
(There was trail maintenance going on, which added a detour and about a half an extra mile!)

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

A good easy trail for adults and kids

Thursday, July 28, 2016

It was a nice hike with the whole family. Access is good. Parking was tricky. The trail was not crowded at all. I guess people tend to focus on some of the more high profile trails on the island. We had a great time. if you have young hikers in your group, bring a lot of water with you.

1 hour ago