Acadia Mountain and St. Sauveur Mountain Trail Loop

Acadia Mountain and St. Sauveur Mountain Trail Loop is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Trenton, ME: Travel over the causeway on SRs 3, 102 and 198. Bear right staying on SRs 102 and 198. Travel through Town Hill and then on through Somesville. Travel another 3 miles and you will see Echo Lake on your right. Park in the Acadia Mountain parking lot.

My husband and I decided to do this trail after a snow storm. It was icy, challenging and it gets a little tougher on the way down. The views are amazing

Absolutely my favorite hike in the park. It was gorgeous!

Really enjoyed this trail. Good way to spend a half day. DEFINITELY do St Sauveur up then Valley Peak trail to loop up with Acadia Mountain trail, then go down the less fun part of Acadia Mountain trail (but also easier to descend because there are steps down) to finish the loop. You get the better views on the way up and a better hike this way. You can do this by starting at the Acadia Mountain parking lot then taking St Sauveur trail to start or park at the St Sauveur lot and take the Ledge trail first (the latter option just adds distance and can be slippery when wet)

very nice views

One of my favorite hikes. Just enough to elevate the heart rate. Stunning views. 5-year-old handled well. OK for younger, in-shape dogs. Trekking poles recommended if you have knee problems, especially for the way down.

Ok hike. Probably had some nice viewpoints if it wasn’t cloudy and foggy

Climb is a bit tough - coming down tougher - Started raining - so skipped St Sauveur and came back via Man O War Truck road)

Tough. After doing some scrambling on more moderate trails (the great head and the bowl) we felt pretty confident and decided to give this a try. For someone afraid of heights this may be a psychological challenge for you. It definitely was for me. Be sure to bring plenty of water. We spent about four hours on the trail going a slow ascend pace with a moderate pace descending and on level ground. We also made a couple of stops for snacks. There are a couple of points you can get off if you need to to head back to the road to only do Acadia or only St Sauvier. If you are only doing one it may be more moderate, but both combine are a definitely hard.

We did only the St. Sauveur half of the loop, starting at the Acadia Mt. parking lot and returning via the road between the two mountains. The hike up St. Sauveur is beautiful, though there are no distant views. The rocks and woods are lovely. The first part is steep and rocky, but not too difficult. It is its own reward. After the top of St. Sauveur, you come to a place with wonderful views of Somes Sound and the Northeast Harbor shoreline. Also rewarding. BUT, the trail continuing down from there is long, very steep, and difficult, with many opportunities to slip and fall. Granted we are older hikers, we are experienced, and anyone should take this part of the hike with great care.

It was hard. I’m a senior and going up was fine but going around to the forest trail which was down was tough.

Short and steep with some scrambling to a huge payoff! Amazing views of Somes Sound from several different points. So worth it!

My boyfriend and I are on vacation with our dogs (one retriever mix, 45lbs, and one boxer/lab mix, 55lbs) and almost didn’t try this hike because the reviews said it is too hard for dogs. Well, we tried it with a backup plan to do an easier hike if we had to turn around, but the pups were totally fine. We parked across the street from the Acadia mountain bus stop around 3:40pm on a Friday in late August, and started up Mt. St. Sauveur which was a fairly easy hike for the dogs and for us, and it had beautiful, well marked paths through the woods and up the rocks, and had a great view of the sound just past the peak which took us about a half hour to get to. We took valley peak trail down St. Sauveur and then the Acadia mountain trail up Acadia mountain. This ascend was a little tougher, and required a few boosts for the dogs, but nothing that they couldn’t handle. The views were amazing, and I’m so happy we tried it regardless of other reviewers saying it isn’t suitable for dogs. We got back to our car in time to check out Ike’s point and then drove over to Pretty Marsh to watch the sunset. I would not rate this one difficulty by any means, and would recommend to anyone!

Great early am workout, peaceful.

great trail and a good swim opportunity on the fjord side, no beach but a boulder entry.

Did it on a foggy, drizzly morning, so no views, but still a nice hike. Started on the St. S. Mt. Trail and went as far as Valley Peak before turning up the Valley Trail and heading towards Acadia Mt., which added about another .7 miles. Glad I did not start out climbing Acadia Mt., as descending the wet rock on the steep side would not have been a good time.

I went up Mt. Acadia. I did this the opposite direction of the one most people recommend - first up to Acadia Mountain and then down the boulders and through the fire path back to the parking lot- this rewards with breathtaking views of the sound while hiking down from the peak, which you can't see very well while climbing up the boulders from the other side! It took me about 1:45 on a very hot day but might be around 1:30 on cooler days. My favorite hike in Acadia so far

Great hike. It was definitely tricky in spots, but well worth it when you get to the top. Fantastic views of the Sound. We went at about 4:30 and only encountered 3 other people on the trail, and we had the top to ourselves for quite awhile. My 14 yo and 10 yo handled it well. Definitely sneakers or hiking boots, and I wouldn’t bring a dog.

Belle randonnée intermédiaire. Si vous faite cette boucle il est préférable de débuter par Saint-Sauveur et remonter Acadia. La montée sur Acadia est très abrupte. C’est mieux que de le descendre.

Beautiful hike! Did Mt S first and Acadia second. Definitely the route to take. A lot of steep rock climbing but, my 9, 7 & 4 year olds were able to do it. 4 year just needed a few boosts. Took our family of 5 about 4 hrs with several stops for vista views and snacks!

We had a beautiful hike on this trail today. Following the advice of other reviewers, we hiked St S first and then Acadia. Shortly after you climb to the summit of St. S you are rewarded with amazing views of Sommes Sound. There is a good bit of boulder climbing on the way up to Acadia Mountain. We spent over 3 hours on the trail enjoying the views. By noon, there were a lot of people on the Acadia Mountain trail. If you want to a peaceful hike, go early in the morning!

This is a great hike. Started with St. S so that we could go up the boulders. Hike is ok for athletic dogs as the rocks on the back side of Acadia get challenging.

Favorite hike in the park. After this hike you can go across the field for a cool down swim at echo lake

Great hike with beautiful views! Had lunch at the Butterfly Gardens close by.

Like other reviews, I recommend doing St. Sauveur first and then Acadia. Really great views of the Somes Sound!

Doing Mt. Sauveur first and then Acadia is for sure better. This way you have the slightly challenging but fun hike to Acadia up and the easy way via steps down. The views are great. We started from Sauveur parking lot and used Ledge Trail to get to the loop. Took about 2.5h plus many photo stops.

We hiked Acadia to St. Sauveur, but I wish we would have done it in reverse. There is always next time!

This is a great trail, but I disagree about it being suitable for dogs on a leash. It is very rocky and steep in places, really not suitable for dogs on leash. You may fall trying to navigate the dog and yourself. Off leash is better but since this is in the park, that is not an option. Best advice: leave the dog home for this hike.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Probably one of my favorite hikes in all of acadia. Acadia trail was surprisingly short to the summit, not a very high elevation, but stunning views nonetheless. Then you go down just to come back up Sauveur. Now the summit of sauveur is nothing special...it has trees and there is no real view from the top. But the views on the way up are my favorite, great views of a harbor and fishing boats. Both trails together make for a pretty decent day hike

Thursday, October 12, 2017

I hiked this loop this past Sunday! Amazing fall foliage and beautiful views. There are some challenging areas where you need to lower yourself down rocky areas. Rewarding hike!

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

I did the Acadia to Saveur sequence. But would absolutely go back to do that in reverse. You can't go wrong, and then head into SWH for a bite/coffee!