Learn more

Acadia Mountain and St. Sauveur Mountain Trail Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(353)
Acadia National Park

Acadia Mountain and St. Sauveur Mountain Trail Loop is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Desert, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.5 mi Elevation gain 1,167 ft Route type Loop

Scramble

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm Maine Office of Tourism, 59 State House Station , Augusta, ME, 04333-0059, Phone: (888) 624-6345

Directions from Trenton, ME: Travel over the causeway on SRs 3, 102 and 198. Bear right staying on SRs 102 and 198. Travel through Town Hill and then on through Somesville. Travel another 3 miles and you will see Echo Lake on your right. Park in the Acadia Mountain parking lot.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (353)
Photos (615)
Recordings (261)
Completed (762)
Kat Connelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Completed this on a foggy misty morning after some overnight rain. No views due to the weather but an eerie feeling of walking on the edge of the world! Be cautious with footing on the rocks, roots, and stairs since it becomes slippery when wet. Started with the Acadia Mt. section first, and the coming down from there is the toughest (involved some upper body and tricky movements in places). I believe the path goes over the top of what becomes Man O' War waterfall too. Wouldn't recommend for small children or someone uneasy around heights, but a great blood pumping quick hike for the amount of elevation gain!

Joe Henriques
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

Longer than 3.5, 4.2 miles.

View Joe's Recording
Jeff Chamberlain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

The only part of this route that is rated difficult, rather than moderate, by the USFS is the section coming down Acadia toward flying mountain trail (see attached picture). That part does have several steeper sections that (paradoxically) increase in grade and length toward the bottom, but still nothing that I would consider bouldering/scrambling or anything nearly as exposed or difficult as on beehive trail.

View Jeff's Recording
Jessica Fraser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I went during a thick fog, but this trail was still impressive. I’d suggest doing Acadia first, unless you like to scramble up! I imagine this has great views along the trail... although with the fog, I couldn’t see much. But there is a cool waterfall and a neat ocean outlook. I saw some traps being collected while there. I would say Acadia Mt is more impressive, but it’s a great loop together and a fun run down St. Saveur if you like to trot! You can also take a dip in Echo lake when you’re done if it’s hot!

Keri Forbringer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

These two peaks kicked our butts. Gorgeous views from parts of the trail but the rocks get slick and we weren’t prepared for the scramble up Acadia going counter-clockwise. We are still glad we went this direction because we wouldn’t have been able to get our dog down the scramble very easily. I know it says dogs allowed but our very agile 75lb collie had to be boosted up a few spots.

View Keri's Recording
James Flannery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 16 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite trails. Very easy to access the trailhead. Directly across from Echo Lake. It didn't take too long to do, but was well worth it. Once completed my girlfriend and I decided to swim in Echo Lake, which was an amazing end to and amazing hike.

Madilynn Michaud
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 06 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Madilynn's Recording
Jeff Worster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 03 2020
Hiking

Good hike for a family. Calf buster at the end. Nice view. Right across from echo lake to go swimming after. Perfect Acadia day.

mary bourque
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 19 2020

19 March 2020 hiked today, perfect conditions for the season! 99% mud and ice free with the few spots of ice clearly on its way out. the mud and ice that were present were easily avoided. I went up St Sauvuer first, then up Acadia. I would recommend this direction (counterclockwise). I know I would have been uncomfortable going down some of the rock scrambles down Acadia if I had gone the other way -- instead I scrambled up. and then you are treated to going down stairs at the end of your loop! great hike, will definitely do again

Daniel Curts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Dec 11 2019
HikingIcyRockySnow
View Daniel's Recording
Amylynne Frankel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 26 2019
Hiking

I wish I had not listened to the people on this Ap and done this COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Coming down Acadia clockwise was easier, but annoying Bc I know most hikers would rather climb up rock scramble than down. This trail was gorgeous, though, and definitely a fav. Less crowded and had ample parking.

View Amylynne's Recording
Christine Tanguay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 13 2019
Hiking

We had a GREAT hike!! We went up Acadia Mtn. 1st. Then we went on the St. Sauveur trail. It was sooo much fun! Lots of rock scramble to keep it interesting but nothing too hard. We added the Valley Peak part, it added about .8 more and I was so glad I did. The views were great and I had that part to myself. Do this hike. You'll love it!

kevin Shyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 08 2019
Hiking

Hiked counterclockwise and included Peak Valley for a total of 5 miles. The initial incline to Peak Valley was moderate and gradual mostly in the tree line. However the decline into the valley was fairly steep. Some sections were wet from the previous days rain. I took a tumble and hurt my pride more so than the scratches from the fall. It’s not so bad, just be careful. The overlook at the bottom of the valley has a small waterfall. Not spectacular but worth a look. The climb back up to Acadia Mountain is a bit steep and can be a scramble at times. It just ups the fun factor. Overall a great hike and had a great day.

View kevin's Recording
Rich Marshall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 08 2019
Hiking

fantastic hike and views. moderate difficulty going clockwise, hard going counter clockwise.

View Rich's Recording
Jochen Rademacher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 28 2019
Hiking

Supertolle 2 1/2-Stundenwanderung - sehr empfehlenswert!

Doug Girvin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 22 2019
HikingRocky

Great terrain with lots of ups and downs, some challenging sections and incredible views at the top. Being on the ‘quiet side’ of the park, there were fewer people.

Kirsten Magnuson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 20 2019
HikingRockyScramble

We did this loop, but added Valley Peak to make it 4.5.miles. We started counter-clockwise from the parking lot by Echo Lake. The walk up Acadia is steep and elevates quickly, but the view up top is worth the trek. The hike down Acadia is also very steep and rocky and requires some scrambling. It was more difficult than the up. That being said, I would still do the hike in this direction. The view from Valley Peak was nice, but nothing compared to Acadia. There is no view from St. Sauver. The hike down is more gradual with some ground cover and rocks. Overall a good hike and worth doing. Also, we did this with two, healthy, active 30# dogs and they did well. I would not recommend it for larger dogs or dogs with any mobility issues, as some of the rock scrambling may be difficult.

T.M. Delahunty
Hiking

I have hiked Acadia for many years and have done trails so many times that I must disagree with the hard rating on this trail. It has wonderful samples of the best that hiking Acadia can offer: black, moss lined vernal pools, forest breathing, some rock scrambling, but short and not steep. It is a much lower altitude mountain that completely delivers on the best of Acadia. Jaw dropping views are many and directed down Soames Sound and over Cranberries on the distance. This is not a hard hike but it is exercise, but short. It is a perfect demo hike for the much harder ones in the park but this is much more accessible than a hard rating suggests. If you can only do one hike, do this one.

Jennifer Galecki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 19 2019
Hiking

Definitely go clockwise !! No views at peak for st. Saveur but there are views on the way up ... Acadia - gorgeous views

Hollie Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 17 2019
HikingScramble

Beautiful trail! Definitely go clockwise! Some scrambling in some parts but great views of sound. Cove trail is closed if planning on adding that on

View Hollie's Recording
Kayla Greene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
HikingRockyScramble

My husband and I started at St. Sauveur parking and went up the mountain and down Valley Peak Trail (way easier on the knees then going up it), doing Acadia Mountain last. Follow the blue blazes, you will see red on the way down Acadia!!! The “hard” rating I give for all the scrambles and the elevation change. Well worth the views even on a cloudy day today. Happy Labor Day!