Acadia Mountain and Man O War Trail

Acadia Mountain and Man O War Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Desert, Maine that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 682 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Counter clockwise is highly recommended to pass the steepest sections while going up.

private property

What an awesome hike! Surprising how challenging it was in some sections...but so much fun! Varied terrain, but most of it pretty steep (it is a mountain trail after all)! We went first thing in the morning and we practically had the mountain to ourselves...so peaceful and beautiful. The views of the Sound are incredible...this was honestly one of my favorite hikes yet!

Some steep sections, but manageable. Too humid to do our plan of Acadia and St. Sauveur, so fire road back to the start

Very enjoyable hike with beautiful views of Somes Sound. There were quite a few challenging scrambles on the east side of the loop. We started at 8 am on a sunny Sunday and the parking area was only half full. We went counter-clockwise and, by the time we neared the summit, the trail was quite crowded with hikers going clockwise. Not exactly the solitude we prefer but still a fun hike.

Loved this trail! We went clockwise as suggested, and I definitely would recommend the same. There were some tough areas, but the view was well worth it!

I went with my parents, who both have knee problems. We originally planned to just take the Man O War fire trail, but decided to try the Acadia Mountain trail loop. We started clockwise, with the views behind us, intending to take the full loop. It was a little wet in spots, and there are some steep stairs and scrambles up the granite, but both my parents made it to the summit. It was an absolutely gorgeous view at the top. Ended up doubling back the way we came because "regulars" said they thought the other side of the summit was too steep and muddy today. Some day we'll come back and attempt the full loop. All-in-all it was a great walk.

So writing this as a dad that hikes a lot but has 2 young kids that I have to worry about what type of hikes we do. This is an amazing trail with amazing views. Got there early before the crowds which I highly recommend. We hiked while backpacking a kid each and this trail was a challenge and we have hiked most trails through Acadia. If you are taking kids go counterclockwise down the road first. Yes the views are behind you as you ascend but there is no way we could carry kids on our backs and climb down going clockwise. Clockwise ascent involves steps and small rock scrambles. Counterclockwise ascent is more challenging rock scrambles and challenging footings. Hike was amazing and views at the top are hard to beat in Acadia. If you want to see the views but hiking with kids and looking for the easier route than you can hike the clockwise route which is roughly .6 miles from the fork and come back down the same route. Regardless we highly recommend this hike one of our favorites in Acadia.

Awesome trail! go clockwise, yes a quick accent but the views all the way down are worth it! if you go counter clock you're looking over your shoulder the whole way up

We took the advice listed here and did the counterclockwise loop, very happy we did. Can’t imagine taking small children or dogs on this thing though.

This was a very nice and visually rewarding hike. My wife and I decided to hike it clockwise. The ascent was steep but manageable for us average hikers. The views of Somes Sound from the summit area were gorgeous. The descent from the summit was a bit tricky at times with some not so obvious footing down the rocky trail. The last half of the loop was a nice flat Man O War Truck Route through dense woods. This was welcomed by my feet and calves after the steep climb and descent. We took our time with the hike, stopping multiple times to take pictures of the scenery. We completed it in 2.5 hours. Black flies, aka midges, were out in force, especially around the summit area. Bring insect repellent. There were a healthy number of hikers on the trail, some with leashed dogs, but I would not call it crowded. And this was a busy Memorial Day weekend. I would rate it as a moderate difficulty level. Smallish children would have much difficulty. All in all it was a very enjoyable hike.

Great trail, but I think there are some mixed info in here for dog lovers. First of all, I'm fairly certain that with a dog, you definitely want to take this on counter-clockwise rather than clockwise. The descent from the Acadia Mountain summit going clockwise is dicey at best if your dog isn't a) very agile, strong, and confident on technical terrain, or b) small enough for you to carry/lift in certain places. However, if you're going counter-clockwise, you may need to do some lifting. Basically, unless you're familiar with Acadia hiking, not a great first choice with dog, but highly recommended nonetheless.

Beautiful views and a fun/tricky descent if you hike in a clockwise direction.

I hiked this trail with my wife and pup at the end of December. The pine trees make the area beautiful even over winter, but I would love to see it in the summer. There were only 3 other hikers on the trail, probably in part because it was 15 degrees outside. It was very manageable for a dog. We only had a few patches of ice, but if there is recent snowfall or freezing rain it could be treacherous.

Great trail for intermediate/advanced hikers. Not suitable for young kids as there are parts of the descent that require longer arms and legs to reach the footholds. The ascent is quick but steep with lots of nicely kept stone steps. Descent was longer but had the breathtaking views around every corner. Check out the waterfall overlook at the end of the Acadia trail. Man-o-war trail on the way back was a dirt road. Whole loop took us (21, F) just under two hours. Would definitely recommend as a warm up to grasp whether someone would be comfortable with some of the harder, more well known loops like beehive or precipice.

Incredible. There are some steep sections of stone steps but I wouldn’t say this hike is too difficult. Took us about an hour to summit and half an hour down, though I don’t think we did the whole loop. Even on a rainy day, the views from the top are unmatched in the park.

Compared to the other trails in the area, I would rate this as moderate, not hard. We did it as an up and back, took about an hour. The views were stellar. Rocks were slick from the rain.

Brought my 80 pound lab mix and he did great. A few spots going down that I had to carry him off the rocks to keep going.

Moderate- Hard trail, we did the trail counter clockwise as recommended. I would rather climb up the tough spots then go down, which works out going counter clockwise. Great views on the way up and at the top. Dog friendly, you may have to lend a boost here and there. Plan on 2.5 hours.

One of our favorite hikes visiting Acadia. Away from the crowds with some amazing views of the ocean. Lots of fun. Highly recommended

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Our first All Trails hike and review. This was challenging for this family of five, but no regrets. I would not recommend for anyone who is in very bad shape or with heart or severe back issues. We took 2.5 hours but I’m sure fitness hikers could do it in half that time. We parked on Route 102 and parked along the road near the small Echo Lake lot (toilet shack right there!). Trailhead lot is on east side of road. Beautiful views of Somes Sound. Even though you might be loathe to climb down to the waterside, take the well marked down and back trail just after the Man O War creek. We missed the MOW waterfall into the water, so research this so you don’t follow suit. The fire road trail back to the road was dull, but welcomingly easy.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

It was tough at the beginning. I didn’t like the stairs but I did love the trail.

Monday, June 18, 2018

amazing hike; very fun with the rock scrambling. Not super challenging, but not easy either. Hiking back down the rocks was fantastic

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Lovely trail! Nice view points and beautiful scenery. Trail was moderate

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Loved it wish I would of had time to stop and enjoy the views more

Thursday, September 28, 2017

A fun loop trail with decent views. Good for kids. Ours are 5 and 7 and had no problem doing this hike.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Moderately difficult. Recommend you hike it CW so as to view Somes Sound when going downhill. The fire road was a yawner. Note - The Valley Cove Trail is currently closed.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Did this trail a few years back, nice vistas and a good moderate hike. Challenging but not as crazy as the iron rung trails.