Abol Trail

Abol Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until September.

Directions from Millinocket, ME: Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear left and travel about 6 miles to the Abol Campground. Trail begins from the campground.

Hiked it in June of 1999. From South Gate 8 miles to Katahdin Stream Campground. Stayed in Walk-in Lean-to No. 2 one night and 3 another night. (Lean-to’s 1 – 3 or tent sites 24 & 25 are the best sites in the Campground. Lean-to’s best for 2 people or 3, maximum. If with a group, lean-to’s 4 – 8 are best.)

I made it to the summit of Mt. Katahdin yesterday! This trail is absolutely challenging but manageable with wonderful hiking buddies who knew my abilities and let me take as many breaks as I need and helped carry water and food:-)! I would not recommend going down this trail if you are hike beginners. I went down by hunt trail, which is a very scenic doable trail, and I highly recommend.

Really fun, tough trail. Pretty steep in parts, great fun once you get near top with big boulders to scramble up!

Without a doubt the hardest hike I've ever done. I can hike and walk, even with loads. However, rock scrambling boulders that are taller than me was extremly difficult. The mt weather was expected and i was prepared for +20 Celsius @ the bottom and hail at the top... But bouldering was tough.

Great hike! But beware! The black flies are horrible in summer months. We hiked it yesterday and were constantly bombarded by those little blood suckers. The newer build ups in the switchback portion of the trail are great and made this trail super enjoyable and easier to descend.

We hiked down the Abol trail from the top of Katahdin (one the way up we took the Hunt trail). Abol was somewhat easier than Hunt coming down so I would recommend the loop (except the two trail heads are about 2.3 miles apart so you need to hike that distance to get to your car. Quite a bit of boouldering but it was a lot of fun. Took us about 3 hours to get down. Took my teenager boys 2 hours to get down first so they hiked the 2.3 miles to get the car for us, which was very nice. I would recommend this loop if you would like to experience two trails in one hike.

Great hike!

Awesome hike

zipped up and down in 5 hours but it is very challenging lots of rocks and boulders towards the top. Use your hands to get up the rocks towards the summit faster. eventhough i did it fast this was the most diffucult and taxing hike I've ever done. But the views are amazing and it's so peaceful!

Super rewarding. Be prepared for precipitation and wind at the summit. Take David Torrey's advice and pack gloves. I appreciated having gloves during the bouldering. Views are spectacular when not socked in!!

Hiked 9/3/16. Difficult but rewarding hike! Nice combination of steady incline, switchbacks, and rock scrambling on the Abol trail! Breathtaking views at Baxter Peak.

We did this trail in July of 2016! Gorgeous day. Nice new trail; but I can't wait until it's broken in a little. The loose gravel was kind of scary coming down.

So much fun!