Abol Trail

Abol Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until September.

Directions from Millinocket, ME: Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear left and travel about 6 miles to the Abol Campground. Trail begins from the campground.

A great rock climb to the summit!

Great scramble to the Table Lands, amazing view, very meaningful location to the be the end (or beginning) of the AT.

I took this trail back down after using the Hunt Trail to summit Katahdin. The bouldering at the top I found to be more difficult than Hunt because some parts the route takes you had boulders that were a bit taller than me so there were parts where I just had to drop which is a little scary considering how steep it is and it looks like you could just keep sliding all the way down at some points! But there were beautiful views, a bit warm as we were facing the sun with no wind that day and the new switchbacks made that part of the decent easier. This is still definitely not an easy trail however as even the trail below tree line is still at a decent incline. We didn't see any streams on this trail except a tiny trickle that crossed it once so I wouldn't rely on filterable water being on this trail if you're getting low. I believe the part through the boulders is just around a mile and you are scrambling and climbing basically the whole time, gloves for hand protection would have been nice! The last (or first) mile to the campground is pretty gradual which is nice as well! This trail was nice because the distance was shorter than the Hunt, but it's still quite steep and on tired legs can be quite challenging. Keep in mind if you are camping/parked at Katahdin Stream, the tell campgrounds are separated by about 2 miles of road which while an easy walk, can seem long after a day on the mountain! I did prefer Hunt Trail however for the views and access to water at the stream if need be and the scramble, while seemingly longer I felt has more manageable boulders but this trail was definitely a different challenge I enjoyed!

Great scramble up to the table lands!

Hiked it in June of 1999. From South Gate 8 miles to Katahdin Stream Campground. Stayed in Walk-in Lean-to No. 2 one night and 3 another night. (Lean-to’s 1 – 3 or tent sites 24 & 25 are the best sites in the Campground. Lean-to’s best for 2 people or 3, maximum. If with a group, lean-to’s 4 – 8 are best.)

I made it to the summit of Mt. Katahdin yesterday! This trail is absolutely challenging but manageable with wonderful hiking buddies who knew my abilities and let me take as many breaks as I need and helped carry water and food:-)! I would not recommend going down this trail if you are hike beginners. I went down by hunt trail, which is a very scenic doable trail, and I highly recommend.

Really fun, tough trail. Pretty steep in parts, great fun once you get near top with big boulders to scramble up!

Without a doubt the hardest hike I've ever done. I can hike and walk, even with loads. However, rock scrambling boulders that are taller than me was extremly difficult. The mt weather was expected and i was prepared for +20 Celsius @ the bottom and hail at the top... But bouldering was tough.

Great hike! But beware! The black flies are horrible in summer months. We hiked it yesterday and were constantly bombarded by those little blood suckers. The newer build ups in the switchback portion of the trail are great and made this trail super enjoyable and easier to descend.

We hiked down the Abol trail from the top of Katahdin (one the way up we took the Hunt trail). Abol was somewhat easier than Hunt coming down so I would recommend the loop (except the two trail heads are about 2.3 miles apart so you need to hike that distance to get to your car. Quite a bit of boouldering but it was a lot of fun. Took us about 3 hours to get down. Took my teenager boys 2 hours to get down first so they hiked the 2.3 miles to get the car for us, which was very nice. I would recommend this loop if you would like to experience two trails in one hike.

Great hike!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Awesome hike

Saturday, July 08, 2017

zipped up and down in 5 hours but it is very challenging lots of rocks and boulders towards the top. Use your hands to get up the rocks towards the summit faster. eventhough i did it fast this was the most diffucult and taxing hike I've ever done. But the views are amazing and it's so peaceful!

Friday, July 07, 2017

Super rewarding. Be prepared for precipitation and wind at the summit. Take David Torrey's advice and pack gloves. I appreciated having gloves during the bouldering. Views are spectacular when not socked in!!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Hiked 9/3/16. Difficult but rewarding hike! Nice combination of steady incline, switchbacks, and rock scrambling on the Abol trail! Breathtaking views at Baxter Peak.

Monday, June 26, 2017

We did this trail in July of 2016! Gorgeous day. Nice new trail; but I can't wait until it's broken in a little. The loose gravel was kind of scary coming down.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

So much fun!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

This trail allowed for some variation for each hiker as most bouldering oportunities had a few different approaches. Overall very fun.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Abol is one of my favorite trails to ascend Mt Katahdin. It is one of the shortest (if not the shortest) trail to the top. There is a lot of bouldering and it is a fairly steep climb at the top.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Great hike with wonderful views. I did this hike on 10/10/10; the weather was perfect, but very cold at the peak. Be prepared.

Saturday, August 04, 2012

This was such a great trail. It was a rainy day, but we made it to the top. The way down was easier because it dried out. I recommend gloves, it provides a good grip. Do this hike, it was awesome.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

My wife, brother in-law and I hiked this trail on September 11th 2011. We climbed Abol and returned down the Hunt trail, got a very late start 9:30am hit a bad storm on the summit of Baxter peak and returned down the Hunt trail in the dark. These are very demanding and strenuous trails. This was my wife's very first serious hike (mountain climb) and she did awesome. This Mountain (Mt. Katahdin) is not for the weak minded or faint at heart hiker there are many very tough spots to climb with some slides but the views are totally worth every step..

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Great hike. Hit the Summit in 2 hours, weather was sunny and warm on the hike up until we got up top - high winds and low level clouds made visibility extremely low. No views from the summit unfortunately but sometimes the hike itself is what it's all about! Went up and down Abol Trail. Make sure you reserve a parking spot at any trail head parking lot - almost impossible to just show up and get parking.

Monday, August 02, 2010

The abol trail up & hunt trail down 11 miles of "tough love". The most dificult & most beautiful trail system i have EVER been on in the world.