Abbott Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(74)
Shapleigh, Maine

Abbott Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Shapleigh, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I thought the ascent via the gladed ATV trail (with reddish earth, large rocks, and nice views) was actually pretty cool. I was there around 8am on a weekend during Covid 19 so there was no one on the trail and I could just imagine the intensity of ATVs and motorbikes launching off of cliffs, etc. Getting to that point was, as per usual, a little stressful because the signage is not really clear. I guess I parked in the parking lot. still not sure of that. it was stressful because when there are no other cars and no sign that says, please park here, you wonder, because there are loads of no parking signs everywhere else. according to the Google map, you go left upon arrival at the end of owls nest, but the way to Abbott is to the right. there is a sign there pointing right, which is nice. however there are no signs for the "bobcat" trail anywhere before the gladed ATV trail, which I came to after going left at the fork, and left at another fork. at the top there is a trail marker for bobcat trail, and I thought about descending down that one through the woods but it was already hot and very buggy so I decided to go down the gladed ATV trail back to the car. I did not do SugarLoaf (which is the trail to the left of the parking lot). might go back someday to do that one. when I arrived at the parking lot initially there was a very intense bird that stalked me and looked like it would attack me. it looked like a small hawk, but it didn't fly. it seemed to be aggressive or just bored, and it was following me up the road at close distance even when I was running away from it!

My husband and I explored this trail for the first time recently. Another hiker on the way out told us about the red blazes trail, and we saw the red blaze on a tree just as you start walking up the atv road but kept going up the atv road because I assumed there would be a well laid out path at that part and didn’t see the blazes farther in the woods. I was following the map on this site, and it didn’t indicate any trail other than the atv. If you continue this climb and go to the top most point, the descent via the blazes trail is well marked. I found it to be a beautiful easy to walk descending path through the woods with easy to follow blazes. The last .8 of a mile did not yet have the footpath cleared and meanders, but just look for the blazes. It must be new, and I applaud those who made this trail. We will go back.

Many of the recently posted reviews apparently were based on experiences with the ATV trail, not the hiking trail, which is marked by red blazes and signs that motorized vehicles are not allowed. (The trail is called Bobcat Trail or something close- Bobcat something or other. ) It crosses an ATV trail twice in its lower reaches, but is pristine otherwise. Access to the trail starts from approximately 100 feet from the beginning of the ATV trail. This trail is either new or quite rarely used. The initial .8 mile isn’t cleared of leaves, so spotting the recently applied red blazes and occasional small red sign id essential. (I really enjoyed the process.) The trail leads past old family burial plots, ponds, the ubiquitous rock walls in overgrown forest. The last mile or so is a steady ascent with switchbacks to ease the effort. The view from the peak is impressive - farmland, forests, and even a thin stretch of the ocean across the long vista. A short walk to the opposite side of the peak is the terminus of the ATV trail. The view there is a panorama of the distant mountains.

Great views! I would wait until mud season is over to go back. ATVs also have access to this trail, but I found them to be mindful and considerate. (We were hiking with 2 kids and a dog). There is also an observable beaver dam

Great trail. Even better views. Definitely bring some bug spray, lots of wetland around to bring those bugs, but that is my only complaint.

bridge out

Probably one of the worst trails I have hiked in Maine. While this appears to be a great ATV trail, it is not safe for hikers. ATVs and dirt bikes were constantly speeding through the trail, all the trail itself was completely torn up due to constant motoring activity, and the trails themselves were incredibly confusing and nondescript. I would NOT recommend this as a hiking trail, there are hundreds of alternate hikes with a much better view and a well maintained trail.

during cova19 what a perfect place to go for a walk, we went this morning, perfect weather. The scenery at the top was great and took some nice pictures of snow covered mt Washington.

Sketchy is the beat way to describe this hike. Went with 4 others. All had the same vibe.

Good hike except for upper 1/4 mile, where ATVs have demolished most of the area 50 yds on either side of trail and most of the topsoil has eroded off. When we arrived at the very top, there were 5 ATVs parked with loud radio on and 30 people drinking beer.

Great kid-friendly hike! Beautiful ledge to look at. Trail head is hard to find because of a private road/driveway. Park at the dead end and walk up the private road, trail is straight ahead. Not far in you will take a left, you’ll see the trail has an incline, you’ll pass a sweet camper for sale! Go check it out!

Trail head was hard to find. We went the wrong direction twice and found trail head we think in the way back after over shooting it and never actually did the hike after going back and forth for about 4 miles.

Fun hike!

Was a good hike until a jeep came up the trail on my way out.

Kids friendly, sections are steep, but views are amazing! Took a bout an hour to summit. Posted not vehicles but we came across a Toyota doing some rock crawling.

private property

Very easy hike, Took about an hour and a half, views were Awesome, a bit buggy at first,but as it opened up the wind was welcomed.

private property

Overall a trail worth the view. There is no formal trail head and it was a bit confusing to find. When you get to the “trail head” via the directions there is an ATV trail that mimics a trail. Don’t go that way .... go down the “private road” to the right a bit and you’ll get to a trail that’s says no ATVs - that’s the correct trail. Walk the trail up and it will fork, go to the left. It was a bit rocky and washed in places. But a challenge for the kids and it was fun. The views were really great even before you reach the top. Lots of fresh berries bushes. We talked to an older man when walking down the road who said it’s posted as private because they plow in the winter and they are trying to keep the ATVs away. We did run into two ATVs on our hike. But mostly had the place to ourselves- only one other group of people the rest of the time. A little buggy but not bad. Lots of places to sit and eat at lunch time.

Gradual trail, then some rocks. Lots of nice places to enjoy a lunch near the top. I was pleasantly surprised not to see any ATVs.

Tue May 28 2019