Wild Azalea Trail

Wild Azalea Trail is a 23.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Woodworth, Louisiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

beach

bridge out

Went in mid-May for a 3-day backpack trip. Had a little rain, but def a beautiful trail with great spots for hammock camping. Plenty of water sources.

Did the 48 mile out and back from Woodworth a couple weekends ago. I started on March 10th at about 16:00 and came back on the 11th at almost 22:00, so about 30 hours total. The trail was really nice, just a lot of woods, and not much to see, but very peaceful. Like the other review says, there was no water for about the first 5 miles out of Woodworth but after that, all the creeks were flowing well. The trail was really muddy at a lot of parts, so make sure you plan for having soggy shoes. I camped near the Castor Creek area, and not too many bugs were around. Over the last 2 miles before I got back to my car I saw 3 of the biggest bobcats I've ever seen, eyes easily 2 feet above the ground, so that was really cool.

went January 26th 2017 came out on the 27th, started in woodworth and did a in and out overnight hike. Did not complete the whole trail, i hiked 6 miles out and back tracked back to my car. Was a well established trail with lots to see, it was really beautiful out there.

A very good trail for Louisiana. We did the trail (one way) over 3 days as a shakedown for Philmont. We will likely do the trail again.

Water... you can filter water along the trail in a couple of locations. So plan it through.

A few questions:

Is there any path to make a day-hike loop out of this?
And which parts of the trails are best for each of the following?
-Hilly terrain
-Flowers
-Water

This is not a review but a question, is there a service for dropping off the hikers and then taking the car to the other end? Thanks~

A did the trail a few years back. Good trail to work out any backpacking kinks before hitting more technical trails out of state.

Good rolling hills. Not too technical.

Took my cyclocross bike out and rode most of the trail, really enjoyed the long flowing stretches on the bike and the challenges the more technical sections of trail provided. The pine needles and leaves made the trail slick and obscured some ground obstacles otherwise I'd recommend sections for kids to mountain bike and trail running. Had a lot of fun.

This is not how I hiked the trail, I got off the Wild Azalea Trail to a loop and back to the start point to allow hikers to find a 8 mile trail with a loop to return to the parking area. Not sure why All Trails changed me track. I will not spend the time uploading, when they change my track. Ferdara

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Hiked this trail in mid April. Very well marked. You can see one blaze from the other. Trail is well maintained. Saw a couple of other people, but not many. Hiked 13 miles the first day and camped then finished it up. The first half of the trail is pretty easy. The middle has a few ups and downs. And the finish is not that bad.

Monday, April 18, 2016

This is the first trail I hiked in quite a few years. It was very enjoyable, not too difficult for a 52 year old flatlander. We saw several wild horses. I posted some pictures of these. The flora was impressive. Beautiful hardwoods, pines, and cypress trees. The wild azaleas were also in bloom. My GPS recorded the trail at 25.9 miles.