White Tail Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Homer, Louisiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 301 feet Route Type: Loop

The GPS version of this trail that's on the Alltrails database is only accurate for the first mile or so of the trail. After that, it goes way off track where there is no trail at all. Do not follow the Alltrails map of the trail; it is not accurate. Lake Claiborne's actual White Tail Trail is much longer at 6 miles in length. Follow the park map, it is more accurate. When the weather cools, I will come back to do a recording of the actual trail. Otherwise, it is a nice trail.

Wed Jan 02 2019

First trip to Louisiana, very disappointing in lack of trail maps, takes magnifying glass to read and leads all to guess work. Trail itself was unmaintained.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Easy trail, geocache located near a bridge.

Mon Jun 25 2018

We walked this trail and marked it last week. It’s a great trail with some up and down hills. Saw 6 deer while hiking! It is now clearly marked!! Nice enjoyable walk through the woods.

Sat Nov 18 2017

Fun place to explore! Lots to see. Nice disc golf course in the park too. We also came across 2 deer (1 buck) and a huge variety of fungi/mushrooms

Sun Mar 27 2016

We camped and hiked while in Claiborne. It was enjoyable but cold!! The scenery was beautiful. We saw a few deer while on the trail and the campsite was awesome! We will definitely go back!

Tue Jan 12 2016

It's a very pretty trail- but not well marked. Trails not maintained and not marked. Still beautiful hike, wished it didn't mix with frisbee golf so much.

Mon Jan 13 2014

Great trail. Challenging especially if you live in cotton country like me. Trail was very well marked the majority of the time. I found it to be more challenging than the trails at Lake D'arbonne State Park. I only gave it 4 stars since this is my first time to rate a trail and not sure really what the criteria is for a 5 star rating but it was a nice walk. I walked the trail with my little dog in about 2 hours, 15 minutes but we also added the scenic overlook loop when I got near the cabins. I'm a pretty fast walker so moved fairly quicked and didn't take a rest break but I did pass several benches and a picnic table area while hiking so you could take a break if you wanted to. Very nice park. $2/admission fee (I bought a state park pass). They were so helpful, the lady in the office gave me a trail guide and the park interpreter came out and gave me some hiking suggestions. I did have to backtrack one time because the hiking trail intersects with a bike trail, a pipeline and another trail all at one time and that would be the one time I didn't find the trail to be as well marked as I had noticed previously but it wasn't hard to figure out. It was at this point I also noticed there is a disc golf course set up near part of the trail. I look forward to going back and combining other trails with this one. Great afternoon hike! Bonus we saw two deer but the dog having never seen deer before went ballistic so I couldn't get a picture.

Sun May 26 2019