Walter B. Jacobs Memorial Park Nature Trails

Walter B. Jacobs Memorial Park Nature Trails is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Blanchard, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Small park with 7 short trails that are well marked with signs and nature trivia signs throughout. Benches allow for a good relaxing walk in the woods. Has a museum that would be interesting for kids. Park is occasionally used by local orienteering society so watch out)

We love this place. We take half day trips to get out of the city and enjoy a quick trail Super convenient to Shreveport. Great for kids. Dog friendly.

For adults hiking this place is OK. If you're going on an outing for the purpose of learning and getting out with your KIDS I'd give it 4 stars! We've been twice (once for a talk on Louisiana snakes and once to hike & explore) and my kids had a blast.
Inside:
-snakes, turtles, touch and feel table, insect and nest displays.
-Stage with puppets.
-Wooden toys
-Reading nook w/ benches
Outside:
Lost of wonderful birds and simple but fun trails.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

I had a great time hiking Walter B. Jacobs with my dog, but if you go, beware the mud! It had rained about 36 hours before I visited, and there was mud *everywhere*. And there were clouds of mosquitoes. In case you forget your OFF, though, there's a box full of it attached to the front of the interpretive building. Take advantage! Also, it's spring, and the orb weavers are out. No one had hiked the Caddo Trail in a few days, and there were a lot of webs across the trail. Lots of the signs need some serious TLC. But we had a great time! There's tons of shade, so it'll be a great place to visit in summer when it's hot and hasn't rained in a while. It was a bit of a challenge, but only because it's rainy springtime. Otherwise, it's an easy hike. I'll be going back very soon.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

This park just seems really run down to me. The trails are not well marked. Mostly flat short trails. There are some good birds that can be seen in this area though if you like birding. If you are looking for good walking trails and birding I recommend checking out the Red River Wildlife Refuge instead.