Tickfaw State Park River Loop

Tickfaw State Park River Loop is a 2.2 mile loop trail located near Springfield, Louisiana that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Loop

Great little trail. Couple of washed out spots, but nothing major.

We picked a perfect day, the trail was not muddy, saw a gator and bugs didn’t bother us...

There's a lovely bridge, but the trail is muddy to the point of being nearly impassable. I figured I just picked the wrong weekend, but the guy at the nature center told me the staff try to dissuade hikers from using this trail, and that it's no longer maintained. This is also the wrong time of year to attempt it, as it's impossible to get far without being accosted by deer flies and horse flies. I saw some interesting animals, including a large turtle, but I couldn't stop for long to admire anything, as the flies devoured me. I was also disappointed by how much litter I could see in the river. The boardwalk area leading up to the bridge is nice, but otherwise, I'd recommend the other (unfortunately shorter) trails in the park.

Easy hike, although muddy after rain requiring us to turn around- in an effort to avoid poison ivy in woods. Warm weather brought out mosquitos and snakes- two seen on trail with one being a water moccasin so keep eyes open to avoid stepping on them. Good shade and would be a nice spot for trail running if dryer.

Nice walk. It is what you expect in South Louisiana. Flat, muddy in some spots, and mosquitos. But overall an easy stroll along the Tickfaw River. We did see an alligator.

The trail gets pretty muddy in spots and there are clearly cut arounds where walkers try to get around some of them. Areas along the river are pretty heavily trashed. I know it's an "unimproved" trail, but the park staff needs to have a cleanup and get some gravel to prevent more trailblazing. That said, it's a pretty easy walk. We spotted two gators. We'll be back in the spring and maybe bring the kayaks.

The staff was friendly...but the trail was boring and super plain with little to see. We saw an otter, but this trail is just basic. It's easy, flat, and be mindful of wild hogs. There were traces of high activity all throughout the trail. Would recommend for beginners.

It's okay, nothing to rave about.

well kept

Mostly flat, easy hike. But wonderful scenery. Summer months, expect canopies of spiders which can be a bit creepy... but they mind their own business.

Trail running. This trail is very nice. The trail head starts as a nice open developed path, within a mile it slims up a bit but still wide enough for the few families with younger children to walk thru and complete. The back half southern part had a few mud spots and a random log across the path from the recent weather but other than that, nice. The third part of the trail goes back upon the raised wooden walk and over the swamp to beautiful scenery, a small river and much wildlife. Even seen a decent sized gator out for a swim. This is the longest of the three trails to enjoy in TSP. This trail isnt far from my home, 15miles or so, so we will return.

Beautiful trail. Stroller friendly. I use a bike stroller, my tires had no problem going through mud and over tree roots. Will be a little tougher for a traditional stroller but still possible. Few mud puddles but easy enough to go around. Nice views of the river. Dog friendly. Family friendly. Trial ends on the boardwalk, you can cross to the right to go over the river or go left for nice elevated views above marsh lands.

Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Really like this hike. Be careful if bringing dogs, my dog likes the water and likes to get in when he sees it. Gators wait by the shore for something in the water. Thankfully I knew to watch carefully and kept him close. Also saw a copperhead, a water snake and 5 of 6 hogs. Great wildlife. Tends to flood a little bit but was still able to hike it all.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Good trail overall, except the day I came I only made it halfway. Trail turned into gumbo near the river and a dead fish was gasping his last breath. Trail is beautiful otherwise.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

This is really great trail. I went when it just rained and he river flooded some of the trail. We still walked it. It doesn’t take that long but it is really great fun! I love the sights and the hike of this trail.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Nice loop partly along the bank of the Tickfaw River. On the easy side of moderate due to short length and flat terrain; biggest challenge is footing due to soft and wet areas. Good wildlife watching along the river. River can flood the trail if it has rained recently, and the trail will stay wet for long periods of time. Wear waterproof boots. Overall, probably the best trail at Tickfaw State Park when the bugs and wetness are tolerable.

Monday, August 06, 2018