Sugar Cane Trail

Sugar Cane Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Minden, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My husband, myself and our two boys (14 and 11) hiked the trail for the first time this past weekend. We adults had full packs and the boys had their camelbacks. The trail is well marked except at a few side trails, which just added to the adventure. We stopped for a break after crossing the dam; the view and breeze were refreshing. Some places along the NE part of the trail looks as if a good rain could put it underwater. Overall, we enjoyed the trail very much. There is a variety of terrain, decent elevation, and beautiful flora. We will definitely hike this trail again!

Was a great trail. Prepare for ticks!! Had a couple.

My children and I had a great hike Saturday. Beautiful views. Nice trails. The only complaint I have and maybe its because I m new at this. but sometimes the trails were confusing because they have several trails that lead close together and not all of the markers telling which one was which was there but we still ended up making it the whole Way, just by using a little common sense lol

My wife and I had a very nice hike this morning. Trail is well marked and the portion near the lake has great views.

Very fun and easy trail. Will be coming back in the summer time!

Very long

Ran a 10K on the Sugar Cane Trail and enjoyed every minute of it! Beautiful scenery and a few good climbs/descents to keep it interesting.

Beware of ticks in the summer time. Great place to hike.

For a short, beautiful hike I suggest crossing the long dam that separates the two lakes and hitting up the trail to the right labeled "Lost Woman." It's a BMX trail but it winds along a creek with mostly open woods surrounding you. The rest of sugar cane trail is recently thinned pine timber that while beautiful, it's a lot of walking through the same old tall pine trees. I will be coming back to this place this summer with my paddle board!

1st time on this trail. Easy hike carrying a 30 lb pack just to up the work load. Clearly marked. Pretty views. Lots of shade.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This trail was fine the two times I have completed. Have not done the back loop which can be seen on topographical maps. The camping at beavers dam is good and is well worth the ten dollars. I would suggest dispersed camping for the adventurers, but it gets hairy with park hosts who are ignorant to the pertinent laws. Don't let that stop you. This place is beautiful and well preserved.

PS: I met an amazing AT thruhiker here. He was light and interactive :) we will remain friends.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sunday, May 15, 2016

SO MANY TICKS. So very, very many ticks. Otherwise, a great loooong trail. For the most part, it's well-kept, but one part that seems like it's usually boggy was totally washed out, and we ended up off the trail, then having to walk through serious mud to get back to it. There's also a big, branchy tree down around the midway point. It seems like it's been there a while. The trail is flat and generally very easy. We saw a pretty big snake on the dam. Again, though, TICKS. My husband and I ended up with at least ten each, crawling up our socks and legs. We had to give our dog a tick bath, and we're still finding them in our house. We sprayed Deep Woods OFF before we started, and it didn't help.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016

This was a beautiful trail with many changes in scenery. My favorite part was walking by the lake. Easy to follow- saw a snake!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

nice trail few wash out from recent rains but beautiful day and great trail.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016