Sugar Cane Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Minden, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 242 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Note: There is a $5 day use fee. Visitors can put payment in the cash only drop box.

bridge out

bridge out

TICKS TICKS TICKS (May 2020) Upon getting home, I noticed a tick on my elbow, looked for more and found a few on my pants. Checked my companions and found more. Checked the dogs - oh no! In all we had a few hundred. The trail was a great hike. The elevation changes and scenery are good and pleasant. Before you hike, coat yourself and your animals with DEET, tuck your pants into your socks. Again... the trail is good considering the Covid shutdown limiting maintenance and all. We enjoyed it, and went the whole loop. Check yourself and critters often for ticks.

Great trail. Dog friendly. Flat, easy trail

fee

Fun trail with plenty of wildlife. Perfect for just getting out for a few hours. There are some nice views of the lake along the way. Watch out for some of the low areas after a hard rain, as there were a few that seemed they had the potential to flood.

fee

Great trail, but the first .5 was pretty overgrown. Several of the bridge/boardwalks throughout were destroyed/damaged as well. They were not needed today but may be necessary during wetter seasons. I would suggest bypassing the first .75 and starting at the Upper Caney Lake boat ramp if you’re simply here for the lake loop. I strung the Sugar Cane + Lost Woman + Orange trails together for a more challenging ride. Might I add that the Orange trail signs provide fair warning for what’s to come. Overall a very quiet ride. I’ll be back for sure.

Sun May 26 2019

Nice, fairly level trail. I love mild differences in flora and fauna along the trail, with nice shaded sections and some more open to sunlight. Very well marked and easy to follow. We started at the trailhead and followed the loop back to the trailhead for a total of 7 miles. There seems to be some discrepancies with this saying 6.4, comments saying 5.5, and the trail head saying 7.1. Along one of the last stretches of the trail, crossing over the dam, there were a ton of wild blackberries, most not ripe yet, but will be great in a couple of weeks. My only complaint is people not packing out their trash! We packed out what we saw, but it is very irritating to pack out other peoples trash.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Nice easy trail. Around 5.5 miles.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Sat Sep 08 2018

A group of us GOATS ran distances of 4-11 miles with a couple of them still running the last we saw them.

Fri Jun 29 2018

Love that this trail is close to home. Started today but to hot to finish. Easy trail. Lots of beautiful woods and a wonderful view of the lake for part of it. The part I went on was clean and clearly marked.

Mon Oct 16 2017

Neat trail 5.5 mile that wraps around one of the lakes. There’s another trail “Lost Lady” you’ll see at the end of the dam that’s about 2 miles. It’s difficult with hills. Both trails were nice.

Wed Aug 02 2017

My husband, myself and our two boys (14 and 11) hiked the trail for the first time this past weekend. We adults had full packs and the boys had their camelbacks. The trail is well marked except at a few side trails, which just added to the adventure. We stopped for a break after crossing the dam; the view and breeze were refreshing. Some places along the NE part of the trail looks as if a good rain could put it underwater. Overall, we enjoyed the trail very much. There is a variety of terrain, decent elevation, and beautiful flora. We will definitely hike this trail again!

Wed Apr 19 2017

Was a great trail. Prepare for ticks!! Had a couple.

Mon Apr 03 2017

My children and I had a great hike Saturday. Beautiful views. Nice trails. The only complaint I have and maybe its because I m new at this. but sometimes the trails were confusing because they have several trails that lead close together and not all of the markers telling which one was which was there but we still ended up making it the whole Way, just by using a little common sense lol

Mon Mar 20 2017

My wife and I had a very nice hike this morning. Trail is well marked and the portion near the lake has great views.

Sat Feb 11 2017

Very fun and easy trail. Will be coming back in the summer time!

Sat Jan 28 2017

Very long

Sat Jan 28 2017

Ran a 10K on the Sugar Cane Trail and enjoyed every minute of it! Beautiful scenery and a few good climbs/descents to keep it interesting.

Wed Jan 11 2017

Beware of ticks in the summer time. Great place to hike.

Sun Jan 01 2017

For a short, beautiful hike I suggest crossing the long dam that separates the two lakes and hitting up the trail to the right labeled "Lost Woman." It's a BMX trail but it winds along a creek with mostly open woods surrounding you. The rest of sugar cane trail is recently thinned pine timber that while beautiful, it's a lot of walking through the same old tall pine trees. I will be coming back to this place this summer with my paddle board!

Sun Oct 30 2016

1st time on this trail. Easy hike carrying a 30 lb pack just to up the work load. Clearly marked. Pretty views. Lots of shade.

Wed Jun 15 2016

This trail was fine the two times I have completed. Have not done the back loop which can be seen on topographical maps. The camping at beavers dam is good and is well worth the ten dollars. I would suggest dispersed camping for the adventurers, but it gets hairy with park hosts who are ignorant to the pertinent laws. Don't let that stop you. This place is beautiful and well preserved. PS: I met an amazing AT thruhiker here. He was light and interactive :) we will remain friends.

Sun May 15 2016

SO MANY TICKS. So very, very many ticks. Otherwise, a great loooong trail. For the most part, it's well-kept, but one part that seems like it's usually boggy was totally washed out, and we ended up off the trail, then having to walk through serious mud to get back to it. There's also a big, branchy tree down around the midway point. It seems like it's been there a while. The trail is flat and generally very easy. We saw a pretty big snake on the dam. Again, though, TICKS. My husband and I ended up with at least ten each, crawling up our socks and legs. We had to give our dog a tick bath, and we're still finding them in our house. We sprayed Deep Woods OFF before we started, and it didn't help.

Mon Apr 11 2016

This was a beautiful trail with many changes in scenery. My favorite part was walking by the lake. Easy to follow- saw a snake!

Sun Apr 10 2016

nice trail few wash out from recent rains but beautiful day and great trail.