Sugar Cane Trail

Sugar Cane Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Minden, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note: There is a $5 day use fee. Visitors can put payment in the cash only drop box.

Neat trail 5.5 mile that wraps around one of the lakes. There’s another trail “Lost Lady” you’ll see at the end of the dam that’s about 2 miles. It’s difficult with hills. Both trails were nice.

My husband, myself and our two boys (14 and 11) hiked the trail for the first time this past weekend. We adults had full packs and the boys had their camelbacks. The trail is well marked except at a few side trails, which just added to the adventure. We stopped for a break after crossing the dam; the view and breeze were refreshing. Some places along the NE part of the trail looks as if a good rain could put it underwater. Overall, we enjoyed the trail very much. There is a variety of terrain, decent elevation, and beautiful flora. We will definitely hike this trail again!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Was a great trail. Prepare for ticks!! Had a couple.

Monday, April 03, 2017

My children and I had a great hike Saturday. Beautiful views. Nice trails. The only complaint I have and maybe its because I m new at this. but sometimes the trails were confusing because they have several trails that lead close together and not all of the markers telling which one was which was there but we still ended up making it the whole Way, just by using a little common sense lol

Monday, March 20, 2017

My wife and I had a very nice hike this morning. Trail is well marked and the portion near the lake has great views.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Very fun and easy trail. Will be coming back in the summer time!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Very long

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Ran a 10K on the Sugar Cane Trail and enjoyed every minute of it! Beautiful scenery and a few good climbs/descents to keep it interesting.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beware of ticks in the summer time. Great place to hike.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

For a short, beautiful hike I suggest crossing the long dam that separates the two lakes and hitting up the trail to the right labeled "Lost Woman." It's a BMX trail but it winds along a creek with mostly open woods surrounding you. The rest of sugar cane trail is recently thinned pine timber that while beautiful, it's a lot of walking through the same old tall pine trees. I will be coming back to this place this summer with my paddle board!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

1st time on this trail. Easy hike carrying a 30 lb pack just to up the work load. Clearly marked. Pretty views. Lots of shade.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This trail was fine the two times I have completed. Have not done the back loop which can be seen on topographical maps. The camping at beavers dam is good and is well worth the ten dollars. I would suggest dispersed camping for the adventurers, but it gets hairy with park hosts who are ignorant to the pertinent laws. Don't let that stop you. This place is beautiful and well preserved.

PS: I met an amazing AT thruhiker here. He was light and interactive :) we will remain friends.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

SO MANY TICKS. So very, very many ticks. Otherwise, a great loooong trail. For the most part, it's well-kept, but one part that seems like it's usually boggy was totally washed out, and we ended up off the trail, then having to walk through serious mud to get back to it. There's also a big, branchy tree down around the midway point. It seems like it's been there a while. The trail is flat and generally very easy. We saw a pretty big snake on the dam. Again, though, TICKS. My husband and I ended up with at least ten each, crawling up our socks and legs. We had to give our dog a tick bath, and we're still finding them in our house. We sprayed Deep Woods OFF before we started, and it didn't help.

Monday, April 11, 2016

This was a beautiful trail with many changes in scenery. My favorite part was walking by the lake. Easy to follow- saw a snake!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

nice trail few wash out from recent rains but beautiful day and great trail.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

My dog and I really like this trail. It's easy to follow and peaceful.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Good!!!

Monday, March 07, 2016

Good !!!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

My daughter and I had a fun February day. The trail is mostly shaded and makes a loop around the lake. We brought our dog and she loved it as well. It's very well marked, frequently traveled, and an easy hike. We saw several other hikers and a couple of mountain bikers - it was not at all crowded. We brought only 1 bottle of water each but should have brought two. If you live near or happen to be in the area it's worth the time.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Great trial, marked well and maintained well. Some loops off the trail added some greater degrees of difficulty.

Monday, January 25, 2016

very easy trail well maintained only part was where i had to walk across a fallen tree that was in the water which I thought that was pretty kewl thou

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Great hike that's easy but scenery is beautiful! Very remote as well! Loved ir

Thursday, December 03, 2015

This trail is in the small town of minden where I live so we go there often. Very easy nice day hike near a nice lake. The campgrounds are great. Definitely worth visiting.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Very quiet moderate hike. Flat. Nice and dry this time of year. Trailhead is located when you turn left towards the campgrounds, on the left side of the road.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

I enjoyed this trail. Part of it feels like you are in a deep forest, and part of it you are walking by the lake. I didn't find the proper trailhead until I was leaving the park though. I followed the GPS on this site and I didn't see a trailhead. A little bit up from where it said it was, I found a trail that was unmarked leading into the woods. Fortunately, I was still able to do the entire trail from there. When entering the park, after you pass the signs that state a permit is required beyond this point, the trailhead is up a little on the left.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

This is an excellently maintained trail. Next trip to minden I will be back. Oh ya, bring $3 cash it is a national park.

Friday, May 23, 2014

We hiked the entire trail starting at the trailhead. Overall, the trail was well maintained and marked without a lot of roots or marshy areas. It would be good for hiking, cycling, or trail running. Saw a few hikers and one group of cyclers, not too much for a Saturday. I would recommend that anyone in the area check this trail out.

Monday, May 12, 2014

05/04/14 Instead of parking at the trailhead, I parked at the boat launch and hiked around, which is a 5.1 mile loop. Starting at the trailhead adds another 2 miles, but I like just doing loops. Well maintained and shaded the entire way. I didn't see anyone else while on the trail, which ends (at the boat ramp) with a walk across the levy that separates Upper and Lower Caney Lake.

There are two loops shown on the map for mountain biking, but I am going to include those loops on my next hike there, and my guestimate is that it might add another mile.

Monday, March 24, 2014

I really enjoyed this trail! Great for biking or hiking. Part of the trail goes along side the lake and it's a nice view. For biking I would consider it as mostly easy with a few intermediate areas. There are many roots, but I've seen worse. There are a few nice hills, a few bridge crossings. There were at least 3 spots that were difficult to cross because there was standing water and no bridge. You can maneuver around it but you have to go through thick brush sometimes. Keep that in mind if it has rained a lot recently. The trail was well marked and clean. Directions to Caney Lakes Recreation Area:
Take I-20 East to Minden then go North through town. Turn right (east) at on Broadway which is the main blvd. Go a few blocks and look for the small brown Caney Lake sign directing you to turn left. That should be Lewisville Rd.(159). Follow that road north roughly 4.5 miles, then turn west onto Parish Road 111, drive 2.3 miles, enter the park on left. I parked at the boat launch.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The length of the trail is perfect for a good out and back but the scenery and quality of the trail are slightly lacking. On the day I was out there, trees were scattered fallen all over the trail which would have made it horrible for mountain biking and still frustrating in places for running. There are no mile markers or water along the course either. If you are in the area, check it out but if it is not convenient you can probably find something better elsewhere.