St. Matthius Church Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

St. Matthius Church Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shreveport, Louisiana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

PLEASE NOTE: this trail is on private land and the bank that owns the property has stated that anyone found on the trails will be trespassing and violating the law.

great single track, dry despite the recent rain. 9.7 miles for the red loop

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Not really able to rate the trail considering it was closed.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

So why is this listed as a trail if it's on private property and we can't hike on it? Just doesn't make any sense to me to have it listed if we can't hike it!

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Great ride

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Trail was perfect, accurate and very well maintained!

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Went on a ruck 12/27/2016
The trails are back open.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Went to ride on 11/4/2016 to see a sign stating the following :
TRAIL CLOSED !
( church not responsible for trail closure property owners are. Meetings about to happen ).

Monday, September 19, 2016

This is a great trail with lots of cover. I walked this trail on a 95 degree day and really wasn't that bad with all the trees covering you.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My 2 year old and I hiked the 4 mile loop today. It was beautiful and not too hot for late July given all of the wonderful shade.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A hidden gem. Took my five year old daughter on the kids one mile loop and we had a great time. I'm looking forward to completing the larger loops. The trail is shady, which helps with the heat. Very well kept and clean. Looking forward to visiting this trail often.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

My husband and I hiked this trail with our 7 month old in an ergo carrier and we loved it! The trail is very well maintained and has nice changes in elevation. Beautiful forest and shady- we will defiantly be hiking this again soon! Good job Kevin the trail keeper!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

The fiancé and I really like this trail. We bring our lab and he really likes it too. It's very well maintained and peaceful when you get further into the hike. It's a great workout!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Great trail. Love coming here to hit the trails. Quick, well marked and maintained as always. A great day. Thank you.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Great trail! It is a 10 mile loop and has three clearly marked early exits for 4 or 7 mile versions. Trail drains quickly but use is discouraged within 24 hours of a heavy rain. The church has been great to let us use the parking lot. A portable toilet is even available near the trail head. They have requested that trail users park at the north end of the parking lot (not near the bell tower). Big THANK You to Kevin and the other volunteers who seem to be constantly working to maintain and improve this trail!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

not good at giving reviews but it was a well maintained trail you park at the church they have a porta potty for your use people there very nice we hit the orange trail which was 10 miles I think The trails are pretty much marked but its like your just zig zagging threw the woods not one i would go back to you can hear and see the cars on the road and I220 so that kept me thrown off from nature

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Very well marked trail, well maintained and easy to find.

Monday, January 04, 2016

The paths were well marked and maintained, but also super dense, narrow and winding. I was looking for a good place to try some trail running and I like that the park has a few trails of different distances. I got slowed down behind some bikers occasionally but sharing the place wasn't bad, but overall it seems like the place is most suited for mountain biking. Lots of short, deep dips in the trail that would definitely be more fun for a biker than a runner, at least!

Thursday, October 15, 2015

I hiked it for the first time today. We've been in a drought so it was super dry. it's a really well planned and maintained trail. It's marked really well and a perfect blend of elevation changes and scenery. There's a mix of oak, sweetgum, pine, and hickory trees and even bamboo. I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to come back and mountain bike it. One of my favorite trails so far.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Great. Very nice, well kept nature trail. Trail well marked. Will go again.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Really well marked for the shortcut trail too. That's about 4 miles. Handy to know, which I didn't before setting out. Luckily, a nice guy on a bike stopped about the 3 mile mark and checked on me and my kid. I didn't know that it was that difficult of a trail, so be prepared for a workout, even if you only do the 4 mile route.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Very well maintained. A little citified for a hike, but very nice nonetheless.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Great trails! Shorter loop not as well marked as main trail but still gorgeous!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

It was great! My daughter and I actually only went to view the layout and get a feel for it and do a little run since our time was limited, but it clearly well maintained and it has been nonstop rain for sometime. There are no clear signs of where it begins so look behind the church entering from the left side of the chain linked fence. It's hard to see so you really have to look. Once inside the entrance there are yellow tags all throughout the trail so there is no way to get lost ( perfect for me lol ). We had a wonderful time!!!

Friday, May 29, 2015

Well maintained trail that makes great use of the minimal space with a winding route.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

I took my two Australian Shepherds with me to check out this trail and I must say this trail is quite the surprise! The trail head itself is quite hard to locate because you have to walk up the side of the church grounds. I circled the church and it's parking lot three times before the pastor came out to assist me. He was very friendly and walked me to the trail head. He told me the history of the trail and how mostly cyclists enjoy it. He also said that every Sunday morning the church provides breakfast for the people enjoying the trail. There is a port-a-potty very close to the entrance that is there for the people who come to use the trails. He also said that everyone is welcome to come inside the church to use the restroom during church hours. I can not stress enough how welcomed the pastor made me feel.
The trails themselves are amazing in how they are kept up, how they are marked, and how immense they are. If it's your first time checking these trails out, you might want to have some kind of map or GPS because you might feel a bit overwhelmed. My dogs and I hiked on a day after a huge down pour so the trails were VERY wet with running water on most of them. This wasn't a negative for me, the dogs seem to enjoy the wetness and we came prepared. LOL.
All in all, these trails are an amazing and surprising asset to have within the city and I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone to check them out.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Great trail for being inside the city. I didn't start at the trailhead because I had trouble finding it. I went in at the exit, only to discover the entrance was right next to the exit when I completed the trail. Since I went in at the exit and didn't see the instructions at the entrance to do the 10 mile stretch, I only did the 3.5 mile. Will go back and do the full 10 miles. My only complaint is you can hear the traffic pretty much the whole time from the interstate, but what can you expect from a trail in the city? I loved it otherwise.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

This was the first time I had been on a brand new trail, by myself, since I was about 12 years old. LOL well, I decided to just do it one day, and I loved it! I took the shortcut at the 3.5 mile mark, since it had started to sprinkle. But I cannot wait to go back and do the entire 10 mi. Did I mention they have walking sticks you can borrow on the honor system? Yes, they do! I just returned mine at the entrance.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

great trail for our area! short drive from Haughton la

Monday, March 23, 2015

Really enjoyed this hike. Don't come after a rain unless you enjoy water and mud. Well maintained and very well marked. Awesome bridges and some cool critters!

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Loved walking this trail today with my son and German Shepherd. So Clean and marked so well !!! Can't wait to go again. Kevin B. You did an awesome job!