St. Mary's Falls Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sicily Island, Louisiana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length1.1 miElevation gain137 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingNature tripsForestViewsWaterfallWildlife
Description
Waypoints (2)

St. Mary's Falls Trail is located on the north end of the WMA; it travels through upland mixed pine hardwoods and passes several smaller waterfalls and scenic views. Users must have a Wild Louisiana Stamp to legally access this WMAs or other LDWF-administered lands if they do not have a Louisiana fishing or hunting license which can be bought online

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (37)
Photos (69)
Activities (23)
Completed (62)
Kc Temple
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 30, 2021
Hiking

It was nice. We have been going to Arkansas on weekend trips hiking. I found these trails on the app, and figured I’d try them. This one is fairly well marked. Ended up being 1.4 miles, mainly because I got off the trail to get pictures of the falls. Get out and enjoy nature!

View Kc's activity
Angie Robbins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 2, 2021
Hiking

First time to complete the loop, we normally just do an out and back to the waterfalls. Happy with our first hike of the year. Will be hiking Big Creek Sunday

Robert Vasquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 14, 2020
View Robert's activity
Scott Guidry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

Doesn't seem like these trails are hiked all that often but quite a treasure for Louisiana terrain. IMO, one of the best hikes the state has to offer with hills, rock, streams and of course the falls.

View Scott's activity
Brian Warren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

The trail is not very well-marked, which caused me to overshoot the entrance at the point where it loops back on itself and parts are not well-maintained. The biggest challenge, though, is getting in and out of the WMA. The roads are VERY rough and if you don't have a four-wheel drive vehicle or at the very least a light pickup, you will be risking damage travelling to this location. Moreover, the roads into and out of the WMA are even more poorly marked than the trail and are narrow with many blind curves, making travel to this site even more hazardous. It's a decent trail, but it's absolutely not worth the hassle

View Brian 's activity
Drake Peck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingOff trail

Trail wasn’t too bad , only on the way out! Very steep! Make sure you bring lots of water! But it isn’t as pretty as excepted. But good for a walk !

Austin Roark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingBugs

Really enjoyed this trail. Beautiful scenery. Trail was marked very well. The topography is unlike any other in Louisiana. Reminds me of hiking in Arkansas - it’s easy going down but prepare for some incline coming back up. Hardest part was getting here. Was glad I read other reviews saying stay right at the fork, roads getting to trailhead aren’t identified very well.

View Austin 's activity
Jess Remington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

since the corona lockdown started, my 3 sons and I have been exploring hiking trails. this one was very well marked. Although it has some steep areas it was not too much for my 11 year old. a tip: sign in at the big board then go right to find the trailhead. We mistakenly assumed the trailhead was the first spot we came to where you check in and couldn't find anywhere that looked like a trail. we decided to keep driving and we found it.

Heather Poe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 6, 2020
Hiking

This has been one of my favorite trails that we’ve done! It felt like we were in the mountains!

Summer Knight
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! Definitely a lot of steep ups and downs, wouldn’t be good if someone has bad knees. We had a blast. Two adults, two 10 year olds, and two 8 year olds! One of our favorites! We saw four waterfalls!

Jeana Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2020
HikingBugs

great trail! my kids loved it and I have a 15 , 13, 13 , 11 and 8 year old. the hills was pretty steep but nothing I can’t do it’s good for my health and we trying to get healthy. my kids absolutely loves the creeks. But we couldn’t figure out how to get to this one big one with water flowing but we managed to find one tho but we will be coming back to try to figure out how to get to the big waterfall.

Joshua Poe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grownRocky

Moderate trail. Good hike. Great seeing different views not typical of Louisiana. A few steep declines / inclined proved a little difficult being muddy especially with a 2yo and 5yo. Trail is marked for a one way loop. Took approx 2 hours enjoying the hike and taking a couple of breaks. The water falls were cool to see, however, the water has a bad smell. Also lots of bugs around the water- we forgot our bug spray so didn’t stay too long. Thanks for the tip to stay right on all road splits as signs aren’t marked (there is only one way to trail head)

View Joshua's activity
Liz Lowry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 18, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Some parts marked trees down. Part of trail follows stream / creek. Enjoyed it!

Hailey Coates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
Hiking

when driving there keep right on the forks in road!

Hailey Coates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
HikingBridge outOff trailOver grown

loved this trail just wouldn’t recommend if you don’t like hills!! It was a little confusing but we made it through!!

View Hailey's activity
William Exline
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for family and pets

View William's activity
shonda McCarthy
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 10, 2020
View shonda's activity
Jeremy Pilgreen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 1, 2019
HikingBugs

The directions will bring you on the wrong side of the split in the road. Take a right not left to get to the trail head. My dog got several ticks. Bring bug spray. Overall nice hike.

Pruitt Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
Hiking

It was pretty and I enjoyed it.

Brandie Peavy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 12, 2019
Hiking

My 3 teenagers loved it!!!!

Cynthia Talbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2019
HikingBugs

Other than the pesky mosquitos, we had a great time along the trail!

Kay Arnold
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 12, 2019

This trail is marked really well and super easy to follow. If you go after a rain, the first downhill area is fairly steep and easy to slip. Overall, really clean trail. Did packout a little bit of other peoples trash, but not too bad. Some of the last hills out are really steep so make sure you rest or reserve your energy for the end, especially if you are a beginner.

Jennifer Romain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 16, 2019
HikingBugs

Trail was easy to follow. I took my chiweenie dog and he was able to get around easily. Getting to the trail in my car was kinda difficult, it had just rained and I was not expecting a muddy dirt road but we made it. Being a novice hiker, at best, I made the mistake of exerting a lot of energy getting back up from the waterfalls, which made it kinda hard on me when finishing the hike. There were some hills that challenged me in the end. But it made it all the more satisfying upon completion!!

View Jennifer's activity
Loena Bruce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2019

We only found this trail last year, but had heard about it before. it's a fairly easy trail to follow & only the last piece headed back to the loop was steep. This is one of our new favorite trails. Unfortunately, it's been littered with trash as well. We pack out as much as we can, but people really need to learn to respect nature or just stay home.

Sonny Warbington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 11, 2019
Hiking

This trail used to be a local secret. The last time I hiked it I was with my wife and two 6 year olds and they LOVED it. If someone was to blindfold you and take you to these falls you would never guess you were in Louisiana. Sometimes in a very dry summer the falls can be reduced to a trickle, but in the early spring or late fall when rain is plentiful it is a really cool waterfall, especially for being in Louisiana. There are actually two waterfalls not just one. While winding along the sandy creek bottom you can find all sorts of creatures from brown crawfish in the water to flying squirrels in trees. There is one VERY STEEP decline (or incline depending on which route you take) that can be slippery and somewhat tricky for beginners. Sit down and “scoot” down if you have to because it’s worth it to continue the trail. There’s also an overlook on the gravel road to the hiking trail that we used to call “lovers leap”. It used to be a teen hangout spot. It has a nice elevated view of nearby Turkey Creek (known locally as “the brake”). Good sunset views from here.