Sam Houston Jones State Park Trail

Sam Houston Jones State Park Trail is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Lake Charles, Louisiana and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until December.

It was very nice!

Nice trail to run and ride a mountain bike on. Deer flies in the summer hurt like heck, but if you keep a 7 minute per mile pace they lose interest and don't chase you far

My favorite time of the year to hike at Sam Houston Jones State Park is the fall. The changing leaves are beautiful. The Blue Trail is my favorite at the park. There is plenty of wildlife. I've seen snakes on all of the trails and deer as well.

The trails are marked fairly well, but the Blue Trail can be confusing if you aren't familiar with the area. The shorter trails are well worn, and easy to navigate.

great trails. pine forest, a few flowy spots, a lot of root sections, a few good climbs for south Louisiana, bridges can be slick on Blue trail. Orange trail is a good beginner trail.

The park in pretty decent. The trails are really nice and easy. Lots of wildlife. Snakes! Snakes! Snakes! Which makes me a happy boy! The only reason for 4 of 5 stars is there are no maps and the person at the gate wasn't very helpful or friendly.

Be sure to bring insect repellant. Even in December!

Friday, November 04, 2016

Good hike at the end of October. Did 7+ miles. Forgot my spray but did not have trouble with bugs.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I've been biking on the road inside the park and its a pretty ride. I think its close to 2.5 miles one time around if you go down the side roads also. Some of the inclines are steep. not too crowded on weekdays around 10am

Friday, February 05, 2016

love the blue trail! I've done it several times Dec/Jan and the insects aren't bad. Although not a good trail for dogs due to ticks. I found 5 or so on mine. Very peaceful. Lots of birds and squirrels.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Easy trails and friendly deer.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Upper Blue trail needs to be better marked.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

The trails here are great for getting deep into the woods. They can be confusing at times but overall a fun hike. We chose to hike them shortly after a rain so the bugs were absolutely horrible. So much so that we ran most of the trail due to the horseflies. I wouldn't mind going again at a different time to see if it's better.

Saturday, June 06, 2015