Monkey Trail

Monkey Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keithville, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 on Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday.

Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 wedding-Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday. That would’ve been great to know before driving all the way out here.

Wonderful trail, but the signs can be a bit confusing

2 days after a heavy rain it was not muddy (surprised us!). Trail was 8 miles if you followed the red bike path signs. If you stayed on the track in AllTrails (which is far from a perfect match but the only trail that mimics the track) you will do about 7. Easy hike (very little hill) and we saw not one person on our hike. Markings were not perfect and some of the trail was barely there single track, thus the 4 stars.

I parked at the trailhead and walked under the sign. The trail immediately came to a Y. The arrows with bikes pointed left. I 'assumed' then that hikers should go right. I ended up walking a 3-mile additional loop back to the trailhead. The trail was easy to follow. Sandy and hard clay. It would be muddy if after a recent rain. Water at the park near the trailhead. No water on the trail. No creeks or lakes. So take first left after the sign for a short 3-mile alternative.

I walked the biking trail with my dog Zena. It was tougher than I expected from a hills standpoint. We went about 2 miles out and 2 miles back when I realized the biking trail is 11 miles! Great hike, hear a Pileated Woodpecker but not the monkeys! Will be back to see the Chimps on Nov 18! Thanks

Solid moderate distance, nice and defined changes of scenery, plus church bells and the occasional chorus of monkeys in the distance. how could I NOT rate this 5 stars??

very pretty and pretty clear path. Loved hearing all the chimps while walking. my only complaint is they need more signs along the paths.

Great moderate morning hike!

We really enjoyed this trail. Us being newbies we kept having to refer to the map on here and found ourselves doubling back a lot at first. Then we discovered following the red markers led us to longer than 6.5 miles LOL. it was fun we had a blast, we will be back. Only saw one snake the whole hike.

great scenery. hard uphill and rewarding downhills.

Decided to go Herping (searching for reptiles) on this trail and ended up finding 3 snakes, millions of lizards rustling in the leaves, 10 frogs, 1 toad but no turtles. However, I still enjoyed myself and the beautiful scenery and spotted many different types of butterflies, which is a sign of a healthy Eco system. At the beginning of the trail I could hear weird sounds which turned out to be the chimpanzees at Chimp Haven. I eventually came across paw prints and poop that didn't belong to a dog so I found that interesting as well. Completed the course right under 3 hours! P.s. MANY SPIDER WEBS

Beautiful trail. Loved it!!!

Monday, January 23, 2017

we loved it!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I pick this trail up on travel from Maryland; it was wonderful wish I could take it home. Clear course but can be a little deceptive on the back end. If you're not familiar with the course you could possibly add a couple of miles to that 6.5. Enjoy it!!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Still trying to figure out my blister issue, but got in about a 7 mile loop. Some hiking trail, some bike trail, some horseback trail. Really enjoyed it.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Going back to finish what a blister cut short. Really liked the trail.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Was a good clean trail . Follow the red markers for biking .

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We love this trail always well maintained and somethings we can even hear the Monkeys at Chimp Haven. My boys like it along with our two dogs.

Monday, June 06, 2016

nice trail!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Ride CCW. The more technical section is in the last mile or so of the loop. Lots of fun. One of the better trails around.