Monkey Trail

Monkey Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keithville, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I parked at the trailhead and walked under the sign. The trail immediately came to a Y. The arrows with bikes pointed left. I 'assumed' then that hikers should go right. I ended up walking a 3-mile additional loop back to the trailhead. The trail was easy to follow. Sandy and hard clay. It would be muddy if after a recent rain. Water at the park near the trailhead. No water on the trail. No creeks or lakes. So take first left after the sign for a short 3-mile alternative.

I walked the biking trail with my dog Zena. It was tougher than I expected from a hills standpoint. We went about 2 miles out and 2 miles back when I realized the biking trail is 11 miles! Great hike, hear a Pileated Woodpecker but not the monkeys! Will be back to see the Chimps on Nov 18! Thanks

Solid moderate distance, nice and defined changes of scenery, plus church bells and the occasional chorus of monkeys in the distance. how could I NOT rate this 5 stars??

very pretty and pretty clear path. Loved hearing all the chimps while walking. my only complaint is they need more signs along the paths.

Great moderate morning hike!

We really enjoyed this trail. Us being newbies we kept having to refer to the map on here and found ourselves doubling back a lot at first. Then we discovered following the red markers led us to longer than 6.5 miles LOL. it was fun we had a blast, we will be back. Only saw one snake the whole hike.

great scenery. hard uphill and rewarding downhills.

Decided to go Herping (searching for reptiles) on this trail and ended up finding 3 snakes, millions of lizards rustling in the leaves, 10 frogs, 1 toad but no turtles. However, I still enjoyed myself and the beautiful scenery and spotted many different types of butterflies, which is a sign of a healthy Eco system. At the beginning of the trail I could hear weird sounds which turned out to be the chimpanzees at Chimp Haven. I eventually came across paw prints and poop that didn't belong to a dog so I found that interesting as well. Completed the course right under 3 hours! P.s. MANY SPIDER WEBS

Beautiful trail. Loved it!!!

we loved it!