Monkey Trail

Monkey Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keithville, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 on Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday.

awesome Trail

Hiked trail in about 3 hours. Wasn't marked well at all. Loved hearing the chimes and monkeys, I think that was the highlights of the trail. Clocked 9.06 miles.

Started the trail at 9:00 finish at 11:00. The first section is very confusing. Got turned around several times. The trail is marked, however not very well. I’m not sure how many miles I lost in the first section, definitely rode the same section multiple times before realizing I was going in a circle. The AllTrails app shows 6.5 miles. Definitely longer than that. The last mile marker I saw was 7.5, I road for at least another 30 minutes before returning to the starting point. I also took a short cut following the road back. The trail continued through the woods so not sure exactly how long the trail is.

Started at 8am and finished around 11. I clocked in right at 6 miles. It winds through thick woods with plenty of shade. The first 2 miles are very confusing. I constantly referred to the AllTrails map (Be sure to download it. No signal out there). The trail is very poorly marked, with a ton of forks. I pretty much stuck to the red mountain bike markers for the most part. I think there are a lot of bike loops that add to the trail, but if you pay attention to your map, you can bypass them.

There’s a great spot overlooking pond to throw up that Eno for a break. It’s part of a Chimpanzee refuge, so you can hear the chimps going nuts in the distance.

It’s mainly a mountain biking trail, so be sure to look out for those guys. Overall it’s a great trail considering that there aren’t many in this area.

This trail would be 5 stars if it was clearly marked. Multiple unlabeled forks in the trails and the cell signal is really bad out there. I realized I was lost about 2 miles in, and switched to follow the horseback trail (since THAT is clearly marked) in hopes of finding my way back to the car. It worked, and I ended up with a nice 5 mile hike still. The two cycling/hike trails cross over each other and the horseback trail multiple times, and they aren’t marked in a way that you can tell you are going the right direction for a loop.

Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 wedding-Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday. That would’ve been great to know before driving all the way out here.

Wonderful trail, but the signs can be a bit confusing

I parked at the trailhead and walked under the sign. The trail immediately came to a Y. The arrows with bikes pointed left. I 'assumed' then that hikers should go right. I ended up walking a 3-mile additional loop back to the trailhead. The trail was easy to follow. Sandy and hard clay. It would be muddy if after a recent rain. Water at the park near the trailhead. No water on the trail. No creeks or lakes. So take first left after the sign for a short 3-mile alternative.

I walked the biking trail with my dog Zena. It was tougher than I expected from a hills standpoint. We went about 2 miles out and 2 miles back when I realized the biking trail is 11 miles! Great hike, hear a Pileated Woodpecker but not the monkeys! Will be back to see the Chimps on Nov 18! Thanks

Solid moderate distance, nice and defined changes of scenery, plus church bells and the occasional chorus of monkeys in the distance. how could I NOT rate this 5 stars??

Friday, July 28, 2017

very pretty and pretty clear path. Loved hearing all the chimps while walking. my only complaint is they need more signs along the paths.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Great moderate morning hike!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

We really enjoyed this trail. Us being newbies we kept having to refer to the map on here and found ourselves doubling back a lot at first. Then we discovered following the red markers led us to longer than 6.5 miles LOL. it was fun we had a blast, we will be back. Only saw one snake the whole hike.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

great scenery. hard uphill and rewarding downhills.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Beautiful trail. Loved it!!!

Monday, January 23, 2017

we loved it!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I pick this trail up on travel from Maryland; it was wonderful wish I could take it home. Clear course but can be a little deceptive on the back end. If you're not familiar with the course you could possibly add a couple of miles to that 6.5. Enjoy it!!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Still trying to figure out my blister issue, but got in about a 7 mile loop. Some hiking trail, some bike trail, some horseback trail. Really enjoyed it.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Going back to finish what a blister cut short. Really liked the trail.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Was a good clean trail . Follow the red markers for biking .

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We love this trail always well maintained and somethings we can even hear the Monkeys at Chimp Haven. My boys like it along with our two dogs.

Monday, June 06, 2016

nice trail!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Ride CCW. The more technical section is in the last mile or so of the loop. Lots of fun. One of the better trails around.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Very well maintained every time we go. Nice easy nature trail.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

This trail made me feel like I was in Planet of the Apes! It is so awesome to hear the chimps in the background. It is challenging at times with all the ups and downs but that's the fun part of hiking. We got lost halfway through and followed the horse trail but it was still fun. It's great and worth the time!

Sunday, March 06, 2016

We had a great time. Trails were challenging at times. They were well maintained. The bathroom facilities were nice and clean

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Very good trails, some ups and downs, clean walking with easily marked trails

Saturday, December 05, 2015

The trail as shown on the above map is 8 miles - not 5.5 miles. As others have mentioned, the trail markers are random and confusing. Other than that, it was a well balanced trail with different terrain and some beautiful scenery. Took us just under 3 hours to complete. Happy trails!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Trail itself has a beautiful setting/scene, but I was frustrated by how haphazard some of the markers seemed. At about mile 4, the signs for hiking seemed to disappear entirely; after that, it the the main horse trail with the occasional path marked for bikers. The fact that the horse trail is NOT one way made the trail even more confusing. Ended up getting lost and following the horse trail until I hit the gravel road.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

I tried to get the directions for this but it won't pull it up for me no address or anything if anyone could help me please message me on my Facebook Angela Richard White thanks so much !