Monkey Trail

Monkey Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keithville, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 on Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday.

Closed Monday, Tuesday, and Holidays. Open from 8-5 wedding-Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday. That would’ve been great to know before driving all the way out here.

Wonderful trail, but the signs can be a bit confusing

2 days after a heavy rain it was not muddy (surprised us!). Trail was 8 miles if you followed the red bike path signs. If you stayed on the track in AllTrails (which is far from a perfect match but the only trail that mimics the track) you will do about 7. Easy hike (very little hill) and we saw not one person on our hike. Markings were not perfect and some of the trail was barely there single track, thus the 4 stars.

I parked at the trailhead and walked under the sign. The trail immediately came to a Y. The arrows with bikes pointed left. I 'assumed' then that hikers should go right. I ended up walking a 3-mile additional loop back to the trailhead. The trail was easy to follow. Sandy and hard clay. It would be muddy if after a recent rain. Water at the park near the trailhead. No water on the trail. No creeks or lakes. So take first left after the sign for a short 3-mile alternative.

I walked the biking trail with my dog Zena. It was tougher than I expected from a hills standpoint. We went about 2 miles out and 2 miles back when I realized the biking trail is 11 miles! Great hike, hear a Pileated Woodpecker but not the monkeys! Will be back to see the Chimps on Nov 18! Thanks

Solid moderate distance, nice and defined changes of scenery, plus church bells and the occasional chorus of monkeys in the distance. how could I NOT rate this 5 stars??

very pretty and pretty clear path. Loved hearing all the chimps while walking. my only complaint is they need more signs along the paths.

Great moderate morning hike!

We really enjoyed this trail. Us being newbies we kept having to refer to the map on here and found ourselves doubling back a lot at first. Then we discovered following the red markers led us to longer than 6.5 miles LOL. it was fun we had a blast, we will be back. Only saw one snake the whole hike.

great scenery. hard uphill and rewarding downhills.

Beautiful trail. Loved it!!!

Monday, January 23, 2017

we loved it!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I pick this trail up on travel from Maryland; it was wonderful wish I could take it home. Clear course but can be a little deceptive on the back end. If you're not familiar with the course you could possibly add a couple of miles to that 6.5. Enjoy it!!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Still trying to figure out my blister issue, but got in about a 7 mile loop. Some hiking trail, some bike trail, some horseback trail. Really enjoyed it.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Going back to finish what a blister cut short. Really liked the trail.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Was a good clean trail . Follow the red markers for biking .

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We love this trail always well maintained and somethings we can even hear the Monkeys at Chimp Haven. My boys like it along with our two dogs.

Monday, June 06, 2016

nice trail!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Ride CCW. The more technical section is in the last mile or so of the loop. Lots of fun. One of the better trails around.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Very well maintained every time we go. Nice easy nature trail.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

This trail made me feel like I was in Planet of the Apes! It is so awesome to hear the chimps in the background. It is challenging at times with all the ups and downs but that's the fun part of hiking. We got lost halfway through and followed the horse trail but it was still fun. It's great and worth the time!

Sunday, March 06, 2016

We had a great time. Trails were challenging at times. They were well maintained. The bathroom facilities were nice and clean

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Very good trails, some ups and downs, clean walking with easily marked trails

Saturday, December 05, 2015

The trail as shown on the above map is 8 miles - not 5.5 miles. As others have mentioned, the trail markers are random and confusing. Other than that, it was a well balanced trail with different terrain and some beautiful scenery. Took us just under 3 hours to complete. Happy trails!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Trail itself has a beautiful setting/scene, but I was frustrated by how haphazard some of the markers seemed. At about mile 4, the signs for hiking seemed to disappear entirely; after that, it the the main horse trail with the occasional path marked for bikers. The fact that the horse trail is NOT one way made the trail even more confusing. Ended up getting lost and following the horse trail until I hit the gravel road.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

I tried to get the directions for this but it won't pull it up for me no address or anything if anyone could help me please message me on my Facebook Angela Richard White thanks so much !

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Beautiful area but the trails are marked what appears to be random. you come to a lot of forks in the trails that are not marked. came across a guy bow hunting...that was interesting

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Trail is well maintained and is definitely a workout either hiking or biking. I usually follow the red markers, which are more challenging, until I get tired and then hike the green ones. Bring plenty of water!

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Trail was well maintained but some trail markers were a little confusing. Definitely a good workout lots of elevation changes especially for Louisiana and the trail was mostly shaded.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Great trail but I wish there was a map at the