Louisiana Delta

Louisiana Delta is a 43 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Bernard, Louisiana that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

canoeing

Trail had over grown grass and it was difficult to complete. So we turned around and walked the pavement instead, which was a short walk. Best part was seeing some wildlife..gators, snakes, tons of bunnies, birds, butterflies and some interesting insects.
FYI - pools aren't open anymore but there is a "splash area" with water shooting out the ground for kids to play in. And they still have tons of picnic tables & RV hook ups. Restrooms were clean..that's always a big plus!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

St Bernard State Park in St Bernard Louisiana. I found the park very well taken care considering it had went under water for Hurricane Katrina in one of the worse hit areas. Local businessmen & individual funds went into restoring this park that the state was going to give up on. The picnic areas vary. Some are quite private & others in a traditional park setting. There are two pools. One for little children with a fountain in the middle. It has showers. Shelters for groups with very large BBQ grills. The camp area takes both RVs & tents. Some are better than others. Free maps are at the ranger station of the park. A fair trail is marked on the map but a little hard to find. I found it on the right hand side of the shower area by the pools. I went up the side to the back & a nice trail but a little rugged. I used my hiking stick for balance. It took me into the woods & around the pond area. As I came out of the wooded area heading to a picnic area I saw the largest gray rabbit I ever saw in my life. There were lots of geese & ducks around. I could hear the sound of alligators near the end of the day but never saw one. Lots of birds & butterflies were about. With only the sounds of the animals it was very quiet.