Longleaf Vista Road to Backbone Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(162)
Kisatchie National Forest

Longleaf Vista Road to Backbone Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mora, Louisiana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

Many may be surprised by the beautiful piece of the Kisatchie Forest that features rocky hills and scenic overlooks. The trail is in good shape and Fall colors give you plenty of scenery along the way. Be prepared for walking on rocky terrain, fairly steep ascents and descents, and creek crossings. Perfect for an overnighter or a long weekend. Also note that the blazes change colors but they are all the same trail.

Great trail! I did an extra mile because I got turned around after exploring a bit off the trail in a pretty area. It rained on me about half the time, so it was muddy and slippery. Only one water crossing was over my shoes. I’m glad to see it’s rated as ‘moderate’ because it certainly wasn’t ‘easy’ It was not a stroll in the park, it was a hike through the woods. Very narrow in places, with foliage brushing against me. I enjoyed it and will go back, hopefully on a dry day.

Overall the trail was great! The first half is probably the most impressive! There is a creek crossing at some point with no bridge so prepare to get your feet wet! We took our shoes off and dried our feet with a towel. There are also some parts where the trail is kind of unclear so just be sure to keep your gps on you. Finally, the last couple miles is just the road and it’s extremely boring lol but overall we had a great time! The elevation altogether makes for about 75 flights of stairs so get ready for a thigh workout!

I think we technically went backwards, which is what we intended. Parked at the trailhead and did the 2.5 mile road walk. We dropped our gear and 1 person at the trailhead so the road walk back was without packs. The next day hiking out had the all the water crossings and some climbs, and we exited right at the parking are. Great trail and scenery.

My daughter and I did a counter-clockwise day hike. The first 3.5 miles included creek crossings and elevation changes while the remainder of the trail was mostly flat without any creek crossings. We made it to the north trailhead with about 30 minutes of daylight to spare. This had us trekking most of the boring pavement back to the parking lot in the dark.

Awesome. Love the rawness of this trail

Absolute great trail! Be prepared for mud no matter the weather. Several springs keep the track wet, and many look like hog wallows, but overall some great views, nice pitches, and many great campsites along the way! Did the entire 10.6 miles but phone died at the BB trailhead.

Started at parking lot and went 3.5 miles and camped out(hammock friendly) then back the next day for a short trip to test out some new gear. Super muddy no water access on that section.

Great trail. We hiked the whole loop. The road walk is boring. A couple of water crossings on the loop. Nice camping spots along the way. We picked a spot on a point that had nice some nice views!

Nice long trail, but poorly marked. Fall leaves on the ground makes it hard to pick up the trail when crossing creeks. Could use some trail maintenance to address this. Overall I enjoy this trail, but will be planning spring hikes only in future as a result of the lack of blazes. Also, hunting/gun shooting allowed in the area. When calling the National Forest office they warned me of this and suggested not using trail on many dates I was interested in going, so this limits availability/access to this trail.

Fantastic over night trial. I didn't finish all of it as a novice, but it's be totally doable for someone in shape.

Everyone go on this trail so the spider's will stop building their webs in the middle of it! Ran into countless spider webs. Big spiders. WORTH IT- such a beautiful hike. Great up and down terrain for Louisiana! Disclaimer: In the review photos there is a rock mountain with a lake. This was the main reason I went on this hike and I unfortunately found no such thing! Twas still a great journey. The small "boulder" field in the photos is on the trail! Towards the beginning and is super cool. They were a wee bit too short to climb. The 2 miles on the highway at the end was not the best ending, but it was still beautiful with the quiet forest surrounding you on both sides. Tip: Wear good shoes for water. The trail got very muddy where there was wet sand.

Good trail for a weekend! Water was dried up for the most part, a few stagnant puddles! Nice views! Surprisingly challenging for Louisiana!

Good condition over all. Few spots of rocky terrain but a great trail. Would give it 5 stars if it wasn't for the last 2 miles of highway hiking.

There was water this weekend about 3 miles or so in, but you can tell it’s starting to get dry enough that backpackers needing to purify should be prepared to cut their trip short and head to a campground if that area becomes standing/dry.

26 july 2019 got to the trail head later than i wanted. started around 930am and finished around 330 pm ..i thought i was in decent shape but the last couple miles on pave ment reminded me i was not in great shape. next time ill take at least a 30 min break after halfway point... most of my breaks consisted of taking my pack off and standing or sitting on ground for 5-10 minitues...overall the trail was easy to navigate. definitely will do again in the fall when its not quite so hot...

Hiked w/ full packs preparing for AT hike later this summer. Good trail with a good elevation (for Louisiana). Hiked in mid-June-hot & humid. Occasional cloud cover & breezes made it tolerable. There were a few good campsites which would make this a nice overnight hike in fall/winter

Wed Mar 27 2019

Was impressed at the terrain change being that it’s Louisiana. Hiked it twice. Nice training grounds for longer distance hikes.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Loved this trail, I wasn't crazy about walking down the highway for the last 2 miles of it, but other than that it was great. There are only really a few spots that I would call scenic, but the scenery always felt like it was changing back and forth from hilly rocky patches to low woody patches, to a few sandy or swampy spots.