Caroline Dormon Trail

Caroline Dormon Trail is a 10.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Provencal, Louisiana. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, birding, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The last 3 miles of this trail are the best in my opinion. The trail is marked EXTREMELY well. I am deducting a star because there are ALOT of signs of hog damage. We saw a deer and wild turkey today.

Very well marked trail. Lots of fun

Started at the Kisatchie Bayou campground. I was hiking this as part of the Short Kisatchie Loop (Short 27.6 mile). It had been raining for two solid days a couple of say before I got to this trail. It was still muddy and had a lot of standing/running water on the tread way. Since this trail is used by equestrian traffic and damaged by wild hogs it was a muddy mess. Embrace the suck - I hiked in trail runners and wool socks which worked well for these conditions. A well marked trail with orange diamond blazes and accurate mile markers. The CDT has several beautiful areas worth passing through, Pine forest, wetland bottoms and some other unique landscapes . Several creek crossings, so there are opportunities to get and filter water if need be. There are only a couple of established campsites along the trail, I camped right by mile marker 10. If you are wondering about the Kisatchie loop I mentioned earlier, it is a combination of the Back Bone Trail, Caroline Dorman and Sandstone trail.

Only hiked a couple of miles in from the CD trailhead. Was pretty brushy, but the trail was evident and it was marked well. Was worried I wouldnt find a good place to set up camp, but found the perfect cleared spot before the sun set. Saw 2 deer on the way back.

This trail was surprisingly diverse in scenery and quite a challenge. I hiked the whole trail with my friend to the Kisatchie Bayou Campground and hiked back out the next morning. The latter half of the trail is more hilly and rocky than the beginning. We hiked through pine flatlands, mixed hardwood forests, loess deposits and rocky creek beds. Seeing rocks and boulders in Louisiana is really neat. We saw two deer and two boars along the trail and no people. The trail is well blazed but overgrown with tall grass and in need of some maintenance. Beware of the loess deposits sticking to your boots! It’s like cement! This trail is a great hiking or backpacking option in Louisiana.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

This trail is a shit-hole. Poorly maintained, and poorly marked. Run Backbone if you want a real challenge.

Monday, December 11, 2017

Mostly flat and crosses over a few park roads.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

My family and I had a blast on the trail.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Great trail I think. Only saw a few squirrels, no real wildlife. WATCH AS YOU HIKE. I almost walked into 30-45 big spiderwebs. Some big spiders there. As much as I watched, I still hit some and threw my pack off, very scary. If you stay at the Kisatchie bayou campground you can start there at the end of the trail at mi. 10 then go 3.5 miles to the road crossing and take left which is back towards the campground. It’s about 7 mile loop like that. Otherwise you’ll just hike to the start of it a long way from the campground.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nice well marked trail, bathrooms at trailhead, no cell service on ATT or Verizon. Only saw a few other people on trail. Wear plenty of deet due to ticks.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Nothing spectacular. A few nice water features. Good hike to make mileage.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

This trail was ok. I just did the first 4 miles of the trailhead at FR 329 and had to turn around to go back to my car. It was basically just a walk in the woods. The trails are marked well so that was good.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Well marked, moderately difficult.

Friday, March 11, 2011

It's very large and very fun!

Tuesday, May 01, 2018