New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Cane Bayou Track

Cane Bayou Track is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mandeville, Louisiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 42 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

partially paved

historic site

Cane Bayou is the perfect adventure for anyone looking to get off the beaten path when in New Orleans. Just an hour north of New Orleans, Cane Bayou takes you through the brackish marsh with lots of good fishing holes, straight to the salt water of Lake Pontchartrain. Birders will love the Osprey and Horned Owl's nests. Nature lovers will enjoy seeing alligators in their natural habitat. Rent a kayak and get some bait from Bayou Adventure in Lacombe and you'll be set for the day!

Did this in the winter so was not as colorful and does get a bit monotonous but some parts are very pretty with plenty of Irish moss hanging from trees. Also did not encounter mosquitoes or snakes.

We took this on the first cool day we’ve had, and it was very pretty. I had two novice “hikers”. I was happy that there was enough scenery to keep them out of their phones. Bugs weren’t bad this day, so I definitely recommend it during cooler weather. Didn’t see any wildlife other than squirrels, but the beauty over the marshy areas and the trees more than made up for it. Super simple walk!!

Went after it rained on Friday. Was a bit muddy and had some good sized puddles in spots. All in all was a nice trail with beautiful scenery.

Well maintained - actually like walking on a lawn in many places. Be sure to take the Sugar Mill Nature Trail and the Boardwalk trail that intersect the main trail. While on the boardwalk trail we accidentally flushed out a wild pig and her baby.

First hike with a new backpack setup. Super humid but even more fun. Great for getting out there!

Love this trail!

nice trail for the most part, it got very muddy in some areas especially at the bayou cane loop. Had to build a bridge in one area. It was a nice adventure though

Sun Oct 14 2018

Watch for spider webs for the first half . There are gators to the left at the very end of the trail loop. Look for a road and a pier that walks you out to a small lake. They swam up to us from a pier expecting snacks. Saw one dead snake. No elevation changes. The trail is kept up.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Nice easy trail for running. A few roots you need to watch for. Most of the trail is hard packed sand when dry. A few areas with grass but pretty short. Hiker reported snake on trail but I didn’t see any.

Thu Oct 04 2018

This is my first time to this site and first review. A friend of mine posted the other day on Facebook that she was on the hiking trail...something I hadn't thought about in years. I actually built it in the summer of 1999 as a 21 year old college intern. The nature trail was already there. It was a miserable task and I questioned my sanity multiple times (especially after finding ticks on my leg, swamping a four wheeler, and getting lost). There was no gps to go by then, just a measuring wheel, compass, machete, and flagging tape. After running into an impenetrable stand of kudzu, we decided the only way to do this was with heavy equipment. So for the rest of the summer I squeezed behind an operator in a cherry picker and we plowed our way through until two loops were made, complete with a path to area 3 and a path to Cane Bayou. Then it was bush hogged and cleared. I'm so glad that something I did then as a kid - part of a project that was though of on the fly - has brought so many people enjoyment. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Sun Aug 05 2018

watch out for numerous and big scary spiders! very pretty trail but if you have a fear of spiders, forget it!

Fri Jul 27 2018

Very easy, all flat trail. If it has rained recently expect some puddles to navigate around but nothing major. During the summer months the trail receives little to no breeze so if it's 90+ out expect the trail to be 100+ and very humid. We find this is a better trail to walk during the winter months.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great hike. Very swampy. If you love alligators this is the trail for you! Just kidding but you are definitely exposed to the elements out here. Beautiful views.

Sun Dec 24 2017

Beautiful! Rode through the woods and saw 3 Bald Eagles flying around just overhead, then rode out on the boardwalk in/on the big marsh...nice view over the water. Then we rode over to the pier at the day use area where there’s a spectacular view of Lake Ponchatrain and the 24-mile road bridge running across it. I would love to come back again when we have more time to hang around.

Sun Sep 03 2017

Second time to this park. Just love the availability to walk through wooded trails, wood dock in the marsh and then walk out to the beach and pier. Tons more of deer at sunset. A few crocs in the marsh and love all the birds singing

Sun Jul 30 2017

Nice easy trail. Went in the morning and it was cool with plenty of tree overhangs for the shade. Watch out for the numerous big spider webs going across the trail - had to duck a good bit as a tall guy

Sun Jun 11 2017

great to hike or run. it was nice to be able to bring the dog (who loved swimming in the lake). the best view of the lake is past the sign that says wrong way at the back of the loop. the trail was much more accessible on that side rather than the other. just about the whole trail was grass with some muddy spots - a good trail to go barefoot if you like doing that. it's mostly shaded, but sunscreen and bug spray would be a great idea. theres lots to see. we even saw a deer.

Sun May 07 2017

Easy to run and good for beginners. Can do several loops to make a longer run.

Sun May 07 2017

Great trail for beginners. Plenty of opportunities to take pictures, but a portion of the Alligator Marsh Boardwalk was closed down. There is a massive Live Oak on the Sugar Mill Nature Trail. Plenty of shade along the hiking trail.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Fun, easy stroll. Fine for kids. $2 per person (children over 3) cash only. The single trailhead is very close to a parking area. You can do the shorter Sugar Cane trail (1.7 mi) which lets out at a nice beach area on the Lake with a bathroom building nearby (may be locked sometimes I hear). There's also a detour to a boardwalk (Alligator something) that takes you over shallow marsh and cattails where you can fish, bait crabs, gator watch. You can loop back to the trailhead to finish the shorter trail or continue on to the longer trail (4.75 mile loop) that goes to Bayou Cane. Terrain is flat, mostly grass with lots of shade. Lots of critters too. Saw two deer prance across the trail 50 yards ahead of us. Saw many broad-head skinks (9 inch tan salamander w orange head), a large red eared turtle, king snake. Thought I would need bug spray but it wasn't a problem. Will definitely go back.

Fri Apr 14 2017

This is an ok little trail at the park. It is split into two parts, one goes to a boarded trail over the marsh, which is nice, however it is cut short by a constructed dead-end due to structural instability, which unfortunately has been that way for some time. The other way,"left" at the fork, it simply a trail in the woods that goes around for a couple miles. Just beware that there are snakes in theses woods, and even dangerous ones, just a heads up.

Sat Jul 30 2016

Went a while back, I usually hike at tunica so this was very different. I felt like I could've done this in the woods behind my house. It wasn't the worst trail but def not the best. Very overgrown, kind of run down. Make sure you bring bug spray! Great if you are preparing for a big hike.

Sun Jun 19 2016

The trails were nice, a bit overgrown so I wish I had worn pants or tall socks and shoes. Saw one snake but it was gone as quick as it came. There was a tree down blocking the trail into the deepest part of the woods so I wasn't apply to hike the whole thing. I'll definitely be back but when the heat isn't so bad and all the creepy crawlies aren't out.

Thu Jun 09 2016

Very muddy this go. Also there was a massive swarm of bees about 1 mile in on the Bayou Cane Trail. So large I heard them before I saw them. Please beware

Tue May 31 2016

Did the shorter Sugar Mill Trail due to the 90 degree weather. Looks like they are rebuilding the Alligator Marsh Boardwalk!

Sat Apr 16 2016

The trail is a very easy loop. The board walk is no longer there, I never had the chance to see it. If you follow the paved road the the lake, there is a small beach, and a pier. It was only a few dollars to get in.

Tue Mar 29 2016

very nice and easy. great for kids. love how all of the trees and such are labeled. the Oaks are amazing and we always enjoy having a picnic there.

Sat Jan 30 2016

Great park. Camping is good (can be loud on weekends). Tiny beach is a nice spot to relax and bring a cooler, although I wouldn't swim in the water. I would skip the hiking trails altogether. They are not kept up well and were kind of ruined since Katrina (although they may have fixed them within the last year or so). The Tammany Trace bike trail crosses through park. Def a nice day trip.