Cane Bayou Track

Cane Bayou Track is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mandeville, Louisiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

historic site

Cane Bayou is the perfect adventure for anyone looking to get off the beaten path when in New Orleans. Just an hour north of New Orleans, Cane Bayou takes you through the brackish marsh with lots of good fishing holes, straight to the salt water of Lake Pontchartrain. Birders will love the Osprey and Horned Owl's nests. Nature lovers will enjoy seeing alligators in their natural habitat. Rent a kayak and get some bait from Bayou Adventure in Lacombe and you'll be set for the day! If you want to do one of the many trails in this vicinity, you can rent bikes from Bayou Adventure also.

Watch for spider webs for the first half . There are gators to the left at the very end of the trail loop. Look for a road and a pier that walks you out to a small lake. They swam up to us from a pier expecting snacks. Saw one dead snake. No elevation changes. The trail is kept up.

Nice easy trail for running. A few roots you need to watch for. Most of the trail is hard packed sand when dry. A few areas with grass but pretty short. Hiker reported snake on trail but I didn’t see any.

This is my first time to this site and first review. A friend of mine posted the other day on Facebook that she was on the hiking trail...something I hadn't thought about in years. I actually built it in the summer of 1999 as a 21 year old college intern. The nature trail was already there. It was a miserable task and I questioned my sanity multiple times (especially after finding ticks on my leg, swamping a four wheeler, and getting lost). There was no gps to go by then, just a measuring wheel, compass, machete, and flagging tape. After running into an impenetrable stand of kudzu, we decided the only way to do this was with heavy equipment. So for the rest of the summer I squeezed behind an operator in a cherry picker and we plowed our way through until two loops were made, complete with a path to area 3 and a path to Cane Bayou. Then it was bush hogged and cleared. I'm so glad that something I did then as a kid - part of a project that was though of on the fly - has brought so many people enjoyment. Hope you enjoy the pics.

watch out for numerous and big scary spiders! very pretty trail but if you have a fear of spiders, forget it!

Very easy, all flat trail. If it has rained recently expect some puddles to navigate around but nothing major. During the summer months the trail receives little to no breeze so if it's 90+ out expect the trail to be 100+ and very humid. We find this is a better trail to walk during the winter months.

Great hike. Very swampy. If you love alligators this is the trail for you! Just kidding but you are definitely exposed to the elements out here. Beautiful views.

Beautiful! Rode through the woods and saw 3 Bald Eagles flying around just overhead, then rode out on the boardwalk in/on the big marsh...nice view over the water. Then we rode over to the pier at the day use area where there’s a spectacular view of Lake Ponchatrain and the 24-mile road bridge running across it. I would love to come back again when we have more time to hang around.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Second time to this park. Just love the availability to walk through wooded trails, wood dock in the marsh and then walk out to the beach and pier. Tons more of deer at sunset. A few crocs in the marsh and love all the birds singing

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Nice easy trail. Went in the morning and it was cool with plenty of tree overhangs for the shade. Watch out for the numerous big spider webs going across the trail - had to duck a good bit as a tall guy

Sunday, June 11, 2017

great to hike or run. it was nice to be able to bring the dog (who loved swimming in the lake). the best view of the lake is past the sign that says wrong way at the back of the loop. the trail was much more accessible on that side rather than the other. just about the whole trail was grass with some muddy spots - a good trail to go barefoot if you like doing that. it's mostly shaded, but sunscreen and bug spray would be a great idea. theres lots to see. we even saw a deer.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Easy to run and good for beginners. Can do several loops to make a longer run.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Great trail for beginners. Plenty of opportunities to take pictures, but a portion of the Alligator Marsh Boardwalk was closed down. There is a massive Live Oak on the Sugar Mill Nature Trail. Plenty of shade along the hiking trail.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Fun, easy stroll. Fine for kids. $2 per person (children over 3) cash only. The single trailhead is very close to a parking area. You can do the shorter Sugar Cane trail (1.7 mi) which lets out at a nice beach area on the Lake with a bathroom building nearby (may be locked sometimes I hear). There's also a detour to a boardwalk (Alligator something) that takes you over shallow marsh and cattails where you can fish, bait crabs, gator watch. You can loop back to the trailhead to finish the shorter trail or continue on to the longer trail (4.75 mile loop) that goes to Bayou Cane. Terrain is flat, mostly grass with lots of shade. Lots of critters too. Saw two deer prance across the trail 50 yards ahead of us. Saw many broad-head skinks (9 inch tan salamander w orange head), a large red eared turtle, king snake. Thought I would need bug spray but it wasn't a problem. Will definitely go back.

Friday, April 14, 2017

This is an ok little trail at the park. It is split into two parts, one goes to a boarded trail over the marsh, which is nice, however it is cut short by a constructed dead-end due to structural instability, which unfortunately has been that way for some time. The other way,"left" at the fork, it simply a trail in the woods that goes around for a couple miles. Just beware that there are snakes in theses woods, and even dangerous ones, just a heads up.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Went a while back, I usually hike at tunica so this was very different. I felt like I could've done this in the woods behind my house. It wasn't the worst trail but def not the best. Very overgrown, kind of run down. Make sure you bring bug spray! Great if you are preparing for a big hike.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

The trails were nice, a bit overgrown so I wish I had worn pants or tall socks and shoes. Saw one snake but it was gone as quick as it came. There was a tree down blocking the trail into the deepest part of the woods so I wasn't apply to hike the whole thing. I'll definitely be back but when the heat isn't so bad and all the creepy crawlies aren't out.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Very muddy this go. Also there was a massive swarm of bees about 1 mile in on the Bayou Cane Trail. So large I heard them before I saw them. Please beware

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Did the shorter Sugar Mill Trail due to the 90 degree weather. Looks like they are rebuilding the Alligator Marsh Boardwalk!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

The trail is a very easy loop. The board walk is no longer there, I never had the chance to see it. If you follow the paved road the the lake, there is a small beach, and a pier. It was only a few dollars to get in.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

very nice and easy. great for kids. love how all of the trees and such are labeled. the Oaks are amazing and we always enjoy having a picnic there.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great park. Camping is good (can be loud on weekends). Tiny beach is a nice spot to relax and bring a cooler, although I wouldn't swim in the water. I would skip the hiking trails altogether. They are not kept up well and were kind of ruined since Katrina (although they may have fixed them within the last year or so). The Tammany Trace bike trail crosses through park. Def a nice day trip.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Nice trail. Brought my dog and hiked about 3.5 miles. We then went to the beach area and hiked around there. Seems like a good place to bring your kids. I look forward to going back and camping.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Nice trails. Probably would be better for a winter or late fall hike.

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Brought all my friends and we went camping!

Monday, January 12, 2015

came here with my dog and was very beautiful. came across a beach that my x -boyfriend rode to on motorcycle by accident and was a nice place to reflect on the memories. thanks ed for the best memories.

Monday, September 01, 2014

I really enjoyed the trail :) saw alligators, snakes, turtles, frogs, swamp rabbit and lots of huge crickets.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Not a bad trail but parts were very muddy and we had not had rain in several days. Had to go off trail several times but that was the most fun. Not as good for my little ones. Trail needs some work but great potential. Saw two snakes crossing our path.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

This is a very nice place for a day trip, but keep these things in mind. The restroom in the visitors building may not always be unlocked, some of the trails have mud (there needs to be boardwalks), some of the boardwalks need to be repaired and there are no mile markers any where. The Oak tress are amazing!!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Gorgeous hike. The state park is beautiful with plenty of wildlife and landmarks to see. I went down the Bayou Cane trail which got really close to the lake. Was a little disappointed to find one of the platforms going out on the lake was busted, but it was still very senic. There are plenty of old trees with Spanish Moss hanging from the limbs making this a very picturesque trail. Will definitely going back to Fontainbleau to go down the other trails.

Monday, April 22, 2013

The good news is the $1 entry fee is well worth the price. The trail is really in disrepair and if anyone knows of a community group working to improve it please reply. I might not think it is much but that is wear and tear not disrespect for the area. Would like to help improve it. Beautiful landscape, wide trails, and lots of distance to cover. Just would like to see some more mile markers and some of the elevated areas repaired (the boardwalk and small bridges). It is in a bayou area so when it is wet it is really wet.