Learn more

Bottomland Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Belle Chasse, Louisiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.4 mi Elevation gain 16 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

The Bottomland Trail is a set of parallel trails (one hiking and one equestrian). They follow along the spoil bank, dip southerly to the NAD loop containing 10 WWII ammunition magazines, and then turn northerly, following along the Donner Canal levee before turning southerly along an intersecting canal that takes you back to the LRT Bridge, 1/2 mile from the trailhead.

Unmarked parking spaces are available at the trailhead. There is a small pavilion with benches. No restroom or water facilities are present.

info@woodlandsconservancy.org 504.433.4000

From downtown New Orleans, take the Crescent City Connection to the Westbank. Take the General DeGaulle East exit (9B). Merge onto General DeGaulle and travel 2.9 miles, continuing over the Intracoastal Canal. Enter the traffic circle at the end of the bridge ramp and exit left to go under the bridge. Drive 0.6 miles on Highway 406/Woodland Hwy to the caution light. Turn left at the caution light onto F. Edward Hebert Blvd. Continue 0.6 Miles. The entrance is on the left. Drive on the dirt road along the canal to the parking area at the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (86)
Photos (52)
Recordings (63)
Completed (131)
Megan Denny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grown

Overall I would rate the trail 4/5. We took our dogs and there were multiple areas with large trees down which made it difficult to pass. Some areas were really overgrown with grass & weeds but we got through easily. Great 5 miles and the pups are tired! Great shade too.

View Megan 's Recording
mitch france
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingBlowdown

Weather was clear. Temps 75-80. Trail was mostly dry. A few spots were muddy. There were a couple trees that blew down over the trail. It is still easy to cross over. Wild life was abundant. 3 snakes, rabbit, turtle. Also spotted a cat. Not sure if bobcats are near this area. . Overall, nice trail close to NOLA.

James Frazier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 11 2020

It was nice, a little muddy in parts because of the rain, but no big deal. Not hard at all. Some spots were pretty and had some cypress trees around a swamp; nice nature in parts and seen a turtle chilling and looking cute, but some dull areas too. Signs could be more clear on where you're going. Coolest part was to see the WW2 era ammunition bunkers with the overgrowth. I'd recommend if you're itching to hike somewhere in the NOLA area. Also, needs some clearing. Not bad!

Lisa Catron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020
Hiking

Bottomland Trail was a nice little 5 mile adventure. The ammunition shelters were an interesting bonus! Most of the loop was well maintained. The portion nearest to the levee was a bit less traveled, but still easy to navigate. We ran into several rabbits, (possibly poisonous?) snakes, and armadillos which definitely added some excitement. The bugs were annoying at times, and there were some bees that hung around longer than I’d like. Overall, it was an enjoyable afternoon, and it was a convenient escape from the city.

Susan Zeringue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 27 2020
Hiking

Nice loop trail, each side a bit different. The first part is very well cared for and leads to some once hidden ammunition stocks from WWII. Pretty cool, intentionally covered in the landscape. The second half of the loop follows along a large canal & is definitely much less traveled. I spotted much more wildlife along this trek, but also many, many flying insects. Parts, but not most of this side of the trail are quite overgrown, but I did not get off track. I sighted many rabbits, one pine snake (I think), some armadillos, a small alligator, an eagle’s nest, and several black vultures. There are some enormous Cypress trees and lots of knees and legs to play on.

Stevi Stern
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
Hiking

So happy I found this trail! I’m from the Pacific Northwest and have been missing nature greatly.. dirt trails, walking over roots, etc etc. We saw 4 snakes, 3 rabbits, honestly about 1,000 dragonflies, tons of huge butterflies and more. I will be back to look for those armadillos!

Douglas Gil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 18 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddyOff trail
View Douglas's Recording
Joey Borel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 28 2020
Hiking

Well cared for trail. Dog friendly.

View Joey's Recording
Andrew Wlos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 27 2020
Hiking

Some good nature stuff and the historic military site in the woods makes it a one of a kind excursion

mitch france
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 26 2020

Hiked trailed this morning. Weather was clear with highs in 70s. Trail was dry and easy to follow. Saw at least 15 other people on trail. I hiked both the 1mi trail and did the 5mi. Saw 2 snakes, many signs of armadillos.

Steve Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 05 2020
Hiking

Nice trail for southern Louisiana. Weather has been reasonably dry lately but it was pretty clear that the first part of the trail could get sloppy after some rain. Will likely do again.

Corey Gardner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 30 2020
Hiking

Really nice trail, very shaded which is great when it’s hot, in the summer there can be some spiders. Overall it’s a great chance to get into the woods, see some beautiful cypress trees, animals, breathe in the forest, and wind among the roots and trees. Definitely the best place to get into the woods anywhere in the NOLA area.

Katie Chosa Franklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 28 2020
View Katie Chosa's Recording
Sean Bailey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 07 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

This trails more of an out and back. By the time you get to the third bridge the trail basically disappeared. The bunkers are cool though.

View Sean's Recording
Kate Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Feb 25 2020
HikingFloodedMuddy

Interesting trail. It would have been easy, but the plethora of rains we’ve had recently allowed for major swamp conditions. It is a loop with the upper half of the loop majorly flooded. It made for good fun, soaked feet, and sliced up legs. A lot of armadillos and much evidence of feral hog presence. The hog fence was a little unnerving when we knew we had no protection with us.

Mike Lauth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 12 2020
HikingMuddy

Really easy trail! Only issues was there was mud. But we saw 4 armadillos!!! Great for dogs! Make sure they are on a leash because there are traps off the trail!

View Mike's Recording
Michael Cohn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 04 2020
Walking

Really nice walk on a really nice day. We saw only two other groups the time we were there. The trail was mostly dry and we saw maybe 20 armadillos and tracks for raccoons and deer. The trail maps do not show how the trails connect for a loop so we went out and back.

Jason Anthony
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Dec 24 2019
HikingBlowdownMuddy

a lil rough at times but no worries. awesome

View Jason's Recording
Alex Huynh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 27 2019
HikingOver grown

Great trail - plenty of places to rest, cool and shady some maple trees and the bunkers were cool

Shelby Bergeron
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Oct 16 2019
HikingOver grown

I usually love walking this trail with my dog, but lately it’s been impossible with the trails being so overgrown. I’ve been avoiding it ever since encountering a snake in the long grass.

Tam G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 13 2019
Over grown
View Tam's Recording
J Roy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 19 2019
Hiking

Alligators! No thank you! it's literally attached right next to a swamp! When I pulled up I was already leery due to the swamp directly attached to the trail while entering the trails. I brought my 2 dogs because I didn't see anything about a swamp being near it or alligators. So, I got out first before letting my dogs out to look around. I didn't see anything and thought well maybe this will be okay. HUGE mistake! Everything went ok into the trail it was on our way out that an alligator had come up onto the grass & right before the way were suppose to leave..he certainly didn't go back into the water infect he moved toward our direction. I had a huge walking stick and found a rock I WAS FRIGHTENED..I yelled at it as loud as I could throw the rock and ran away from where he was as fast as I could and thank God made it to my car.. if you've got dogs I WOULD NOT GO HERE

Amrita Dang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri May 03 2019

I'm not from around here and this trail is less than thrilling. The naval bunkers and armadillos were cool, but the trails were not kept well. lots of fallen trees blocked the trail, and we had to go into the woods a bit to make our way back to the trail. it's also a big lollipop shape with a short stick--more of a loop than out and back. watch out for snakes and check out the big lizards. I'm only in town for two days, and we hiked a beautiful trail yesterday at Jean Lafitte National Historic Park and Preserve. I honestly wish we had hiked that trail again today rather than this one. But this is good for people with dogs or if you are horseback riding. BUT I highly recommend Jean Lafitte if you have to choose one hike in the area! or even 2!!!

Shelby Bergeron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 30 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

It is a pretty good trail and there’s many options to take. I bring my dog there at least once a week, and they are allowed as long as you keep them on a leash. And it is important to keep them on the leash because there’s a lot of things for them to get into. If you’re looking for a nice long walk, definitely take it. Plus there’s some really cool army bunkers to explore!