Bonnett Carre Spillway Trail

Bonnett Carre Spillway Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Laplace, Louisiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It’s a bike trail, lots of turns, not a hiking trail

Nice trail for any hiker. Lots of wildlife. Not very difficult to navigate.

So many gnats. Immediately turned around.

Lovely views, and a pretty easy trail to follow. Made the mistake of going in the middle of August, and was eaten alive by mosquitos!

awesome mountain bike trail. Just don't go when it's still wet please for the sake of the trail!

This was a pretty trail with a lot of great views. My boyfriend and I went on a Saturday afternoon, and it wasn't too crowded. It was an easy walk, but the cyclists fly by you so be careful!

Definitely designed for biking. Lots of loop de loops fun for bikers not so much when walking. Pretty water views fern palmetto and cypress forest. Saw birds and many animal footprints in mud. Watch out for tree roots. Well covered so ok in hot weather. Many low lying areas that would be impassable in rainy season. Mid April saw lots of wildflowers. Kept my dog on leash.

Not for hiking, this trail is basically for mountain bikers only, and they will fly by you if your on foot.
Saw maybe two snakes within a few minutes of walking, and countless snake holes in the ground. Would not recommend if on foot.

Plenty of shrubbery, yellow wild flowers, super lush area. You will see and hear plenty of birds singing and chatting. I encountered a bunny, plenty of squirrels, a few snakes and plenty of dragonflies. There are mosquitos so if you have sweet blood make sure to wear or bring something for that. All around beautiful circular trail. Also a mountain biking trail with boards to ride on if you are into that.

I enjoy this trail quite a bit, but rating it as moderate isn't fair to the word moderate. This trail is flat, well established, and you'll see some wildlife, and as long as you can hike around 5 miles, not difficult.

Nice day hike. I suggest hiking against bike traffic so you can give them the right of way. All the riders were quite polite.

Good easy hike on a day in February. Didn't have to worry about bugs. Did see trash here and their on the trail. Heard airplanes throughout the hike. Went early afternoon & only saw 2 other bikers using the trail besides us. No wild pigs only birds,deer & 1 butterfly.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Wild pigs keep your distance.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice walk or ride when it's not so hot.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

It is a wonderful trail, and I am grateful to those who maintain it. Haven't been there since the spillway opened and closed, but before that, here's some advice: Wear mosquito repellant such as a very effective recipe on the internet with catnip tea, essential oil, vanilla, and witch Hazel. Have good front AND back brakes and don’t be afraid to slow down…some of the declines are pretty momentous. Putt-putt once through so you know where the sand is. More important, anticipate the stretches that are 10-foot drop-off’s parallel to water and those with some sand too. It is not a beginner bike trail. When you hear the "bike holler" or bell, just pull over or stand aside to the right to let them pass. Some of these bikers slam this trail, and rightly so, but if you've been riding for a few months, even on the street fast and hard, you can get through. All the bridges have walk-arounds, which I use most of the time. Berms were well maintained when I went, but can't say now. I wish we could get rid of the loose sand for the sake of safety and speed.

Friday, August 05, 2016

I tried to go in but the trail was a bit over grown for my first time hiking alone. I had my two dogs with me and I was nervous there would be snakes, since I didn't see any signs of people on the trail already ( parking lot was empty). I hesitated to be the first to go today, I'm not a fan of clearing the Cobb webs with my face. So yes. I chickened out. I feel silly but my instinct told me it was a bad idea and I got an overwhelming urge to get outta there, so I listened to my gut. I would go again. I will go again, if I saw people on the trail I would have proceeded. Two young Guys headed to the trail and got as far as I did. they sat on the picnic bench at the opening of the trail and played on their phones. Not sure why, but if they didn't want to go in.... I think it's safe to say I wasn't the only one hesitant. The trail is narrow and there is a bayou and lots of ferns, it's typical swampy hiking. My younger dog is a total spas kinda like me, so I will go, but it will be with another person, yes a human shield. There is a cool service road that ends at a bayou which I checked out and enjoyed.

Monday, August 01, 2016

It's a great ride however in some spots it's gets a little to sandy which many times almost caused wipeouts. With the trail only being 30 mins from New Orleans it is a great outdoor activity that's doesn't have to take all day.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Went for a hike on 7/21/16, pretty decent trail for hiking, has small hills here and there but is mostly flat, has ramps, jumps, and bridges for biking, would hike again and this trail has me wanting to get a decent bike to take there.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Went for a day hike there July 9, 2016 with our dog. Access is 61 at Guide Levee Road, so of youre coming from BR its a left AFTER you cross the spillway, and if youre coming from New Orleans its a right when immediately BEFORE the spillway, via a quick turn on Guide Levee road and off again via left turn off levee and down to parking area.

Trail is fun, manages to have some variability in grade. We did the one thats basically and out and back shot along a hummock of land with a canal to the left (west) and the levee rd to our right, beyond the return path, (east). Thats a super nice touch with this trail - its an out-and-back but bikers traveling either direction have separate paths, sometimes by as much as 50 feet (but rarely out of sight and usually within 20 paces) so if youre a hiker a head-on collision with a cyclist isnt an issue - being overtaken at speed is the sole hazard, happily. Be mindful with your dogs, children, and absent minded companions that cyclists will be approaching from behind with little time to stop on the often sandy surface of the trail, so stop off-trail only and cyclists, respect the overtaking party's responsibility to pass safetly or stop in time - best solution is a hearty shout and a wary eye at partcularly low- visibility point.

Overall, fun hike in a unique spot.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

First time I biked any trail. The first half was fast and pretty easy. The 2nd half was much harder and wore me out. The sand flies were terrible. Wiped out once in a soft berm. I'm a 67 year old fart and only ride the neighborhood. I will definitely go back. I failed to time my run.